Making century's on club tables compared to tv tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making century's on club tables compared to tv tables

I was talking to someone who said he saw Ronnie O'Sullivan playing in the Kings Cross snooker club and Ronnie couldn't make a century break on the table he was playing on there,this is just a post or thread to anyone learning the game not to be too overawed or blinded by pro's making century's on tv,yes the pockets might be slightly bigger on club tables but the cloths and cushions aren't as consistent or responsive as the tv tables and the pro's also have the best playing conditions,e.g. no idiots rambling on or tables being too close to each other,this might have been done to death on this forum but again its just my tuppence ha'ppeny to anyone learning the game.

Most club tables the pockets are a lot bigger than match tables ,Im sure Ronnie can make tons on any table .For reference ,Just before Paul Hunter died ,he did a exabition at Morley snooker club ,he looked in a real bad way ,me and the wife had a chat to him and he said he had not picked up a cue for months ,but just wanted to honour the booking which was made the year before .He played about 6 frames in which he had a 125,107 and I think 113 .This was on a normal club table with average pockets .

Comment

Originally Posted by Danleeds View Post
      Most club tables the pockets are a lot bigger than match tables ,Im sure Ronnie can make tons on any table .For reference ,Just before Paul Hunter died ,he did a exabition at Morley snooker club ,he looked in a real bad way ,me and the wife had a chat to him and he said he had not picked up a cue for months ,but just wanted to honour the booking which was made the year before .He played about 6 frames in which he had a 125,107 and I think 113 .This was on a normal club table with average pockets .
      Fair point but I'll make an assertion that there was a reasonable hushed silence while Paul was playing and he didn't have to evade other players on other tables,tables that were too close to his,not challenging your post,just typing my pet hate against tables too close together and rubbish new players deflecting their crap play by being loud.

Comment

I'd say that other players being noisy is good practice, you need to focus on your game, if you can do that playing next to 4 drunk noisy twats you can do it anywhere, see it as a challenge.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          I'd say that other players being noisy is good practice, you need to focus on your game, if you can do that playing next to 4 drunk noisy twats you can do it anywhere, see it as a challenge.
          It's not really drunk noisy twats that wind me up its rubbish players trying to sound like they're good,sorry if that might sound arrogant but for some reason it touches a nerve !!

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
            Fair point but I'll make an assertion that there was a reasonable hushed silence while Paul was playing and he didn't have to evade other players on other tables,tables that were too close to his,not challenging your post,just typing my pet hate against tables too close together and rubbish new players deflecting their crap play by being loud.
            Yes to be fair it was very good order ,me personally find it a lot harder to play on proper match tight pockets ,I play to a good ish standard ,only ever had 1 ton a 124 ,but get regular 50,60 and odd 70 and 80 odd .

Comment

Originally Posted by Danleeds View Post
              Yes to be fair it was very good order ,me personally find it a lot harder to play on proper match tight pockets ,I play to a good ish standard ,only ever had 1 ton a 124 ,but get regular 50,60 and odd 70 and 80 odd .
              Yes I have similiar scoring,the match table I play on seems a little bit slow though,particularly straight screw shots off the black for some reason,don't know why though.

Comment

My mate had no problem knocking in three tons against me last night in practice. He also had a 90 and an 80 odd.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

its hard to distinguish in terms of high breaks on club tables vs match tables, as most club tables have bucket pockets can it really be considered a high break. I have always said this that knocking a ton in on a bucket pocket table is a totally different game to playing on proper pro size pockets.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                    My mate had no problem knocking in three tons against me last night in practice. He also had a 90 and an 80 odd.
                    very good standard .

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                      its hard to distinguish in terms of high breaks on club tables vs match tables, as most club tables have bucket pockets can it really be considered a high break. I have always said this that knocking a ton in on a bucket pocket table is a totally different game to playing on proper pro size pockets.
                      Got to totally agree with you on this one ,most people who say the tv tables are big or look big ,have never played on a proper match table ,imo there is a big difference .

Comment

The star table's are really hard to play on. most club table's have bigger pockets and are much more for giving. Pro's are so good that they make 100 breaks on tv in front of millions so imagine what they would be like on table with larger pockets. A pro who is 60 odd on the ranking list haf two 147s in one afternoon at a local pro am on crap table's with light White's.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                          I've made century's on a match table but I rate an 80 odd break on a club table in a club I'm not particularly enjoying playing in just as good,its down to your personality I suppose.

Comment

Originally Posted by kir1 View Post
                            The star table's are really hard to play on. most club table's have bigger pockets and are much more for giving. Pro's are so good that they make 100 breaks on tv in front of millions so imagine what they would be like on table with larger pockets. A pro who is 60 odd on the ranking list haf two 147s in one afternoon at a local pro am on crap table's with light White's.
                            That's impressive,I hate light white's.

Comment

I do to and I have played on the star table's in Sheffield and to be honest club table's with a decent cloth on are much easier to make a 100 on. Sometimes we don't realise how good the pro's really are. I think watching it on tv the camera's play tricks on us making he pockets seem more forgiving than they really are.

Comment

Working...
                              X