The Les Edwards Snooker Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    When I look at something I sometimes look at it in reverse fashion, so if I find where I want the White to be on the black to make it easy to get up for the yellow, I can then go up to the pink spot and I then know where I want the White to be on the pink to get it on the black nicely, I can then go round and look at the shot I need from the blue to get where I need to be on the pink etc etc. So from one shot you can reverse engineer the entire colour clearance, I have no idea if this is a valid method or just the strange way my brain works
    And an hour later he's on the yellow ball! What a clearance!
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Well here we go guys. I worked on 4 reds with Pink or Black and after and hour of shutting the cam off and on a million times I let it roll for my last three attempts. I will be interested to get everyones feedback. No more challenges for me until I can clear the colours 1 out of 3 and also the Reds n Blacks. Unless someone else has a better idea. Maybe potting five straight pinks is more up my alley.

https://bambuser.com/v/5244190
      " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
      " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
      http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

• On the second attempt, the last black you potted. You had 2 options and you chose a 3rd wrong one to leave yourself too far from the last red.

You only had to soft screw the white back for the red in the same pocket or a light stun to leave the red in the opposite pocket. There was no need to use the cushion.

Comment

• Yeah, using the cushion far too many times for my liking, if i was to try this (maybe i should lol) i would be not using any cushions at all !!!

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk
            or five blacks. then ten, twenty and so on. we were here over a year ago leslie. what you been doing in the dungeon, everything but practicing right?
            J6 WRONG ANSWER night after night. Do you ever do something and think maybe I am just not cut out for this? I had one day last week after playing with Floyd where my confidence was beaming. I couldn't miss, I cleared the colours so many times I lost track. One day and it's gone. Yesterday I worked on just potting Yellow, Green and Brown and could not get through them. My confidence came the day I spent playing with Floyd at the new Corner Bank. Maybe it will come back tomorrow. Floyd and I are getting together for a few games.

Comment

• Well, that's disappointing, Les. And I don't mean your attempts at this challenge, I mean that after one day.... yes, ONE DAY, you have given up.

The idea is that these are challenges, not formalities. If you could just gown down and complete the exercise in one minute, then what would you be learning?

The last two times you attempted it in those videos, you were two pots away from completing the challenge. That looks ideal to me. It's just out of your current reach to be able to complete this exercise. Perfect!! You'd better get practicing this week then. Let's get it done!

As for clearing the colours one in three: where did that arbitrary number come from? Just focus on getting better. The more you improve, the more consistency you'll get. Today you can clear the colours one in 30. In three months, you might do it one in 20. In six months, maybe one in 15.

Learning takes time.
              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                As for clearing the colours one in three: where did that arbitrary number come from? Just focus on getting better. The more you improve, the more consistency you'll get. Today you can clear the colours one in 30. In three months, you might do it one in 20. In six months, maybe one in 15.

Learning takes time.
                Plus you will always have days when you can't hit the side of a bus. Performance is not linear. Your average will slowly improve but you will still have days of brilliance and days of absolute rubbish.

Try to just enjoy the journey. Even on those terrible days you will make some awesome shots.
                My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

• Let's do some learning

Les, I've edited a screenshot below to show you the shot that cost you the clearance. Learn to stun the White up as shown in the image and the clearance will become a lot easier.

image.jpg

Comment

Let's do some learning

Les, I've edited a screenshot below to show you the shot that cost you the clearance. Learn to stun the White up as shown in the image and the clearance will become a lot easier.

[ATTACH]17512[/ATTACH]
                    Okay I do understand. I checked my blood sugar after I finished because I was really boiling inside no patience, ready to throw a ball through the wall or break a cue and it was way out of wack. Maybe a lot of my problem. I am a Diabetic.
                    Okay I will take this one day at a time and learn from my mistakes.

Comment

• There's a reason why this is a weekly challenge and not a daily one. I don't expect you to be able to do it in one day.

Comment

There's a reason why this is a weekly challenge and not a daily one. I don't expect you to be able to do it in one day.
                        Okay got it loud and clear. I will begin the learning process of this challenge tomorrow.

Comment

• yep i concur with Ted and the others, when i was watching your video and you landed on that 3/4 black i thought perfect he's got this just stun up for the red role the red in and then role the black in.

i was surprised you played off the cushion because you can see you are not going to get near the red that way.
                          i think its a problem not just for you but many of us and that is mapping the table and choosing the best position for the next shot.

using cushions is a last resort , if you can soft screw or stun i'd use that first.

don't lose heart Les, it's a long Journey for you and many of us, you are well on your way now, some maybe further in their journey than others, you will face many obstacles on your way, but if you stick at it eventually you will reach your destination.

so keep your focus on your final goal, and don't get hung up in the present.
                          Last edited by alabadi; 27 January 2015, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                            yep i concur with Ted and the others, when i was watching your video and you landed on that 3/4 black i thought perfect he's got this just stun up for the red role the red in and then role the black in.

i was surprised you played off the cushion because you can see you are not going to get near the red that way.
                            i think its a problem not just for you but many of us and that is mapping the table and choosing the best position for the next shot.

using cushions is a last resort , if you can soft screw or stun i'd use that first.

don't lose heart Les, it's a long Journey for you and many of us, you are well on your way now, some maybe further in their journey than others, you will face many obstacles on your way, but if you stick at it eventually you will reach your destination.

so keep your focus on your final goal, and don't get hung up in the present.
                            Thanks. I have had the same problem since I started playing two years ago and TD has told me more times then I can remember you must walk before you can run......��

Comment

• Remember this is not a competition! You are only competing against YOURSELF. You want to be a better player than you were last week.

Comment

• Here's two videos of me completing the newest challenge! After reviewing the video I'm unhappy with how quickly I raise up on the deep screw shots (also unhappy that I had to play them at all!). I'd greatly appreciate any other comments and criticisms.

#1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmYapF99M3U
                                #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSiDdd8-Nn0

Comment

Working...
                                X