Help with top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with top

Whenever I try put top with power the ob will always jump and same with the cb. Yesterday for example the brown rattled off the jaws and then bounced off the table. The shot im on about is when the cb pauses slightly after impact on the ob then the top pulls it forward. I have no problem with follow/run through , screw, stun or side. Only when I try hitting the cb with top and power. Thanks.

you could be cueing slightly down on the white and/or as well as miss timing the shot. try getting the cue more level with the table and cue straight though the cb.. sometimes players do use this cueing down on the white to create this bounce effect for positional purposes

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      you could be cueing slightly down on the white
      That's a good observation. I've had problems in the past with top but if I ensure that I'm hitting quite far up and keep the cue parallel to the table and make sure I accelerate through the white I seems to do okay.

For some reason. I've found it a lot harder to learn top then screw. Odd that.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
        That's a good observation. I've had problems in the past with top but if I ensure that I'm hitting quite far up and keep the cue parallel to the table and make sure I accelerate through the white I seems to do okay.

i think most players get to know the lower half of the when they start out (and some don't progress past that), this is for a few reasons but manly to look good and to seem like your in control. but understanding the top half of the cb will double everything in your game, breaks, options, opportunities and knowledge

Comment

Your probably a dipper rather than a scooper, by that I mean your tip drops slightly thru impact (Matt Stevens the extreme of this) rather than rising thru impact ( like Jimmy White ). We all do it to some extent, and not a big problem but does help to know which you are so you can use it rather than fight it !

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            you could be cueing slightly down on the white and/or as well as miss timing the shot. try getting the cue more level with the table and cue straight though the cb.. sometimes players do use this cueing down on the white to create this bounce effect for positional purposes

Thanks for advice, I will try this next time. Will update soon!

Comment

Help with top

If you are bouncing the balls then it is highly likely you are striking down on the cue ball.Film yourself if you can and see how low your cue is.
              coaching is not just for the pros
              www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by sammyts View Post
                Your probably a dipper rather than a scooper, by that I mean your tip drops slightly thru impact (Matt Stevens the extreme of this) rather than rising thru impact ( like Jimmy White ). We all do it to some extent, and not a big problem but does help to know which you are so you can use it rather than fight it !
                Yep. You are spot on. I get lot's of miss cues when I attempt deep screw because I'm aiming fairly low on the ball and dip further. It does make me wonder if I slightly stun all plain ball shots.

Comment

Yep. You are spot on. I get lot's of miss cues when I attempt deep screw because I'm aiming fairly low on the ball and dip further. It does make me wonder if I slightly stun all plain ball shots.
                  When you hit the ball hard yes you probably are, it has its advantages, dippers tend to be good off the cushion and cuing over balls. The only real problem is as you say topspin, you will see this most when trying to run round 2 cushions off an almost straight black, it will check up off the top cushion because you are actually stunning it rather than just pure topspin. I would suggest leave it alone on most shots as this is wot you are used too, however on firm or hard topspin shots try and visualise you grip hand and therefore the butt of the cue dropping slightly as you deliver it.

Comment

Working...
                  X