The 5 Foot Dart Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 5 Foot Dart Question.

What's happening.. I got a player to check me tonight. The best he could see was that cue was on line (balls were potting too), but I am thinking my body isn't exactly, relatively, in the same position each shot.

If I look at the tip during feathering and think, push through on that line, they pot but I'm feeling that isn't exactly how you do it.

If my body was on the cue the same each shot, I should just be able to memorize a movement of the elbow shouldn't I?

I mean I play alright and I'm happy with my standard, but like everyone, I want a little more and I think this is what's stopping me.

OR? Is this correct? (I don't think it is)

There are plenty of players on here far more qualified than me to give advice (you might even be one of them!) so don't take this as gospel. But I know from the coaching I've had that pre-shot routine is REALLY important. Working on - and perfecting this is crucial really. Getting your body set in the same way every time is half the trick to consistent potting.
    Do you play with the cue brushing your chest? This is definitely something advisable.
    In my opinion - based on coaching I've received and Nic Barrow's videos, the important points are:
    Stand upright behind every shot - on the line
    Right foot AND right hand (for R/H players) on the line
    Step in, placing dominant foot on line of aim
    Fall forward into position - MAINTAINING EYE LINE ON LINE OF AIM (no swaying!).
    Left foot and bridge hand place themselves in position naturally as you get down on shot.
    Maintain contact with chin and chest on backswing
    Make contact on chest with cueing hand (in same place every time!) on follow through

All the above - if you work on it enough with friends/video - will help you get in the same position every time and cue consistently (not the whole answer to cueing though!).

Hope this helps? As I say, others on here will be able to advise you better!

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
      There are plenty of players on here far more qualified than me to give advice (you might even be one of them!) so don't take this as gospel. But I know from the coaching I've had that pre-shot routine is REALLY important. Working on - and perfecting this is crucial really. Getting your body set in the same way every time is half the trick to consistent potting.
      Do you play with the cue brushing your chest? This is definitely something advisable.
      In my opinion - based on coaching I've received and Nic Barrow's videos, the important points are:
      Left foot and bridge hand place themselves in position naturally as you get down on shot.
      Make contact on chest with cueing hand (in same place every time!) on follow through

All the above - if you work on it enough with friends/video - will help you get in the same position every time and cue consistently (not the whole answer to cueing though!).

an intelligent and wise comment and a really good advice !! I can learn from this !!!! Many thanks .

Comment

One thing I have been focusing on more than anything at the moment is my PSR (pre shot routine). I play a lot of American 8 ball (mainly because nobody has the skill or the knowledge to play snooker that I know) and when I started playing snooker and starting using a snooker cue everything started to change about my PSR. So I decided I need to perfect my PSR once again and have been doing some experimenting with what is most comfortable to me. I have been working more on keeping my right leg locked but it can be uncomfortable a lot of the time. Best of luck to you!
        “Thus so wretched is man that he would weary even without any cause for weariness... and so frivolous is he that, though full of a thousand reasons for weariness, the least thing, such as playing billiards or hitting a ball, is sufficient enough to amuse him.” Mr. Blaise Pascal

Comment

< stuff about alignment >
          That's good stuff there tim.

This is a good video about getting alignment which echos what you said.

Last edited by cyberheater; 1 February 2015, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I think I have a problem with this, I can play just about any shot required on a snooker table, but they're all about a 3/10 regardless of difficulty. I think I'm not lining up properly, and it's hard to correct, tilting my head back slightly before I drop into the shot seems to help a little sometimes. Any good practice drills for dropping down straight on the shot?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
              I think I have a problem with this, I can play just about any shot required on a snooker table, but they're all about a 3/10 regardless of difficulty. I think I'm not lining up properly, and it's hard to correct, tilting my head back slightly before I drop into the shot seems to help a little sometimes. Any good practice drills for dropping down straight on the shot?
              Did you not see the vid I posted above you?

Comment

Yep cheers, I'll work on them when I can, I meant any other ones outside of that vid.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  Yep cheers, I'll work on them when I can, I meant any other ones outside of that vid.
                  Here's another good one.

Comment

I also agree with this completely HOWEVER if everyone took all of this to heart I think the volume of coaching business would go down quite a bit because if players do just these 9-10 thing right they WILL IMPROVE.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      I also agree with this completely HOWEVER if everyone took all of this to heart I think the volume of coaching business would go down quite a bit because if players do just these 9-10 thing right they WILL IMPROVE.
                      Haha!! Thanks Terry And good point about the coaching. I find it odd that so few amateur snooker players seek to get any coaching. I am a golfer and in golf it seems more widely accepted that there is a correct way to play, and anyone wanting to improve should see a pro for a lesson every so often.

In snooker, the technique is almost as complex as with golf. Certainly considerably more complex than a lot of people realise. Putting in hours of practice in order to get better is one thing, but practice alone is only really beneficial if you're practicing good technique. Or at least that's the way I see it!

Comment

Working...
                      X