Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your private receipe for entering the zone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out 'The Brain with David Engleman' on BBCiplayer, episode three. There's a free climber who does what he does when in the zone, extremely dangerous, in fact he died after the interview for the programme. He said that he free climbed in order to enter the zone, not the other way around, when the summit is reached he had no idea how he got there or the amount of time that elapsed, he climbed in order to free his mind of conscious thought, his own kind of meditation I suppose.

This is the 'slowing down of time' phenomenon that happens when in the zone, a batsman seeing the ball early, even though it's moving too fast for a conscious decision, the unconscious takes over and it seemingly happens on its own.

As a previous poster said, it happens mostly with fast sports and games, snooker is slower and gives time to think. Maybe some of you play snooker in order to enter the zone without realising it, snooker is your own meditation.

Can't say that it's mine though, too infuriating for that, but what about the really good players on the forum, the zone is a meditative state, it could be the reason why you play the game.

Comment

What is your private receipe for entering the zone?

It's funny you say that, Steve. When I used to box I would have sessions where I honestly could read the punches like I was in the Matrix.

I think you're right. Snooker is less reactive so it's harder to get into the zone.

Comment

focus on concentration and concentrate on saying focused is the zone for me. settle into building momentum and rush them with breaks, that get faster and more acurate frame after frame..
        but always be ready for the unexpected, that tests patients. and if you get an outer body experience in the mean time cool but get the job done

-
        Last edited by j6uk; 11 February 2016, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Three pints of diesel for me
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
            Check out 'The Brain with David Engleman' on BBCiplayer, episode three. There's a free climber who does what he does when in the zone, extremely dangerous, in fact he died after the interview for the programme. He said that he free climbed in order to enter the zone, not the other way around, when the summit is reached he had no idea how he got there or the amount of time that elapsed, he climbed in order to free his mind of conscious thought, his own kind of meditation I suppose.

This is the 'slowing down of time' phenomenon that happens when in the zone, a batsman seeing the ball early, even though it's moving too fast for a conscious decision, the unconscious takes over and it seemingly happens on its own.

As a previous poster said, it happens mostly with fast sports and games, snooker is slower and gives time to think. Maybe some of you play snooker in order to enter the zone without realising it, snooker is your own meditation.

Can't say that it's mine though, too infuriating for that, but what about the really good players on the forum, the zone is a meditative state, it could be the reason why you play the game.
            I play as a means of meditation. I couldn't even say whether i think of the shot or even position. Blank.

Comment

On many occasions (unfortunately not lately) I was able to enter the zone. Some of these occasions occurred on their own, while others I believe I instigated. When in the zone most players walk around the table at a quicker pace than normally. I once read that you could trick your mind into entering the zone by imitating that walk. Also (just my opinion) I have found that the longer I am down on the shot, the more my mind gets in the way negatively. If you want to perform at your peak you must play with no mind. The Nike saying of “Just do it” has a lot of truth to it.

Like others have said you are being foolish if you rely on the Zone to win games for you. Anyway that’s my 2cents worth.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Here is my recipe

It's too complicated for me....

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
                  As all of you has experienced before, there was a time when you played really smoothly, because somehow you entered into a zone where your cue action was good on every shot, concentration was good; your rythm was good; and nothing can distract you and your mind and eyes are on the table.

As we all know too, it is hard to enter this zone, or even know what it is? Perhaps it is a mystery.

Do you have a personal receipe to help yourself to enter the zone? Both in tournaments and practise i mean.
                  My personal secret recipe for getting into the zone is a secret...
                  Can you keep a secret?
                  "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                  National Snooker Expo
                  25-27 October 2019
                  http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Working...
                  X