X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting cue bending no chin 6mins 10 sec approx

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wKzmeWsqZE

Comment

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts on this thread. Especially inevermissblue and buddfridgeman for sharing your experience. I had given this technique more try tonight, and I think my results is somewhat similar to Byrom's, I felt I'm potting better than before, as well as cue power such that I can do shorter backswing and getting more action from the cue ball. The way I'm doing it is when I'm pulling back, I keep my ring (thumb and index) locked, not an active tightening up, but locking its shape, so the pulling back action actually pushes the cue into the web. On delivery, it does feel like releasing a coil, the ring pressure then goes back to where it was at address position.

I think I need to give this more tests to see, especially in matches.

vmax4steve also gave a good point of the one swing thought, I'll also test this against constantly thinking about keeping head still (something I realize after the delivery), and let my subconscious do the rest

By the way, to earlier repliers who were wondering whether the person was really mentioning about having a firmer bridge, I'm positive he is talking about the cue pressing down, and by the way, my bridge thumb pad is always firmly on the table, as Nic advises.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
        Terry teaches the 'one swing thought' but it's something vital and neccessary like 'head still', I do as well but for me it's 'eye on the object ball'.
        I'm going to try that.
        I guess it's a form of mindfulness.

Comment

not sure if thats not a combination of cue taper and rigidity of shaft

Originally Posted by buddfridgeman View Post
          interesting cue bending no chin 6mins 10 sec approx

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wKzmeWsqZE

Comment

Yeah that cue is not being bent. To be honest this conversation has gotten a bit ridiculous!

Remember that not all cues are straight anyway, so if you think it looks like the cue in this clip isn't straight, its probably that. Players aren't bending the cue at address/during the stroke. The suggestion that they are is just nuts!

Comment

i can tell you've put the work in and i get what your saying, i just think its too advanced for many of the regulars here
              for me if you take away words that imply pressure and judds cue bending, then the genuine players who actually practice might get something out of it

Originally Posted by buddfridgeman View Post
              If you read the words in my post I said the the down force on the bridge hand could be played and responds well to certain shots.

I did also say this can be used as and when needed but not all the time...I also use this technique when bridging over the pack of balls on some shots for a more solid feel.

I have played for 30 years so have picked up individual things which help me, when I read the original post I could understand the advice that was given...and tried to explain this as best I could.

If this does not work for the guy then no harm done, it does and always will help me pull out some cracking shots, but again as and when needed.

I don't hold the cue massively tight and even when using this technique I can generate enough pressure to the bridge hand with just thumb and one finger grip and on the delivery stroke this all releases.

I am not for putting anyone down he asked a question and as best I could I tried to explain ...this technique makes me no world beater ..but again I helps out from time to time.

I did post a video a while back on this forum compiling a 140 break and missing the final black from a tough cut in..and have had at last count 6 x 147 in practice over the years..whilst this does not endorse any of what I have said it probably goes some way in showing just how much practice I had put in over the years and I was only trying to pass on some words of wisdom as indeed was the original advice I think.

I don't want to get into the politics of this forum or any others but sometimes a little gesture of encouragement offerd is just that..if the guy gets this and it does not work then that's no problem, I hope it does help and good luck to him.

Comment

Ok I might regret posting this as I don't want to fan the flames as it were! But after Googling "Judd Trump Cue bend" I found this thread from a couple of years ago, on this very forum! If you watch the clip - at the time referred to in the post - you'll see Judd generate an astonishing amount of bend in his cue.
                The concensus from the discussion at the time seems to be that it is incredibly unusual. But that the bend is certainly being created by downward pressure of his chin (or, you might say, upward pressure of the cue against his chin).
                Its pretty interesting and worth a look!
                http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ure-on-the-cue

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                  Yeah that cue is not being bent. To be honest this conversation has gotten a bit ridiculous!

Remember that not all cues are straight anyway, so if you think it looks like the cue in this clip isn't straight, its probably that. Players aren't bending the cue at address/during the stroke. The suggestion that they are is just nuts!
                  really..lol

Comment

Ok I might regret posting this as I don't want to fan the flames as it were! But after Googling "Judd Trump Cue bend" I found this thread from a couple of years ago, on this very forum! If you watch the clip - at the time referred to in the post - you'll see Judd generate an astonishing amount of bend in his cue.
                    The concensus from the discussion at the time seems to be that it is incredibly unusual. But that the bend is certainly being created by downward pressure of his chin (or, you might say, upward pressure of the cue against his chin).
                    Its pretty interesting and worth a look!
                    http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ure-on-the-cue
                    I think its clear that he does use his chin, my comparison was in doing this the tip end of the cue is being pressed against the bridge hand..thats just physics, he must feel he gains either more control or more cue action doing this .

In my own game I find adding a little downforce on the bridge hand does the same thing for certain shots, I dont use this all the time but an example would be ..black off its spot just off straight on the low side and playing it with deep reverse screw..from this shot I can generate enough screw and side to pass the blue spot.

Not bending the cue just replicating down force on the bridge...and not to much down force either its very controlled.
                    Last edited by buddfridgeman; 9 April 2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

That is interesting - and I am playing tonight so I'm definitely going to give it a go! I will try anything to try and find something that works!!
                      Just to be clear, when you talk about adding downforce on the bridge hand, are you saying that you are somehow doing this with your back hand? Or are you levering the cue against your chin to do this?
                      I think I am just struggling to picture in my (simple!) mind how to add downforce on the bridge without using your chin?

Comment

That is interesting - and I am playing tonight so I'm definitely going to give it a go! I will try anything to try and find something that works!!
                        Just to be clear, when you talk about adding downforce on the bridge hand, are you saying that you are somehow doing this with your back hand? Or are you levering the cue against your chin to do this?
                        I think I am just struggling to picture in my (simple!) mind how to add downforce on the bridge without using your chin?
                        No chin involved just the grip hand and it releases the pressure as you go through the ball..its not to much down force just enough to feel it through the bridge..and not all the time, it is a shorter action but you get right through the ball and its a solid hit.

Let me know how you get on as the two so far that have tried this are encouraging.

Comment

Thanks! I will try this tonight and report back tomorrow with results.
                          The solid hit thing on some slightly more delicate shots sounds promising. Something the pros seem to do very well is strike the CB really positively - even on softer/more delicate shots. All too often when I play delicate shots I seem to quit on the stroke a bit and end up hitting a shot that more closely resembles a wet lettuce!
                          Making a positive stroke and hitting the white solidly doesn't always been bashing it! Maybe this will help me to play these shots more positively.

Comment

Use it in moderation, good luck.

Comment

I would hazzard a guess, that if you sat around chatting away merrily with a number of really top level players, be they amateur or professional, they would not have a bloody clue what this was all about. In my experience of spending a fair amount of time around such people, I've not once heard this, ever.

Any apparent bending of a cue during a shot is most likely to occur on backswing, and, is likely to be due to the raising of the grip hand. This disappears (or should disappear) during delivery, as the grip hand moves foward on the stroke, dropping as it moves back towards it's original position at address, where the cue was straight / straight..ish (or aiming to travel along a flat plane)

There would be no way in a squillion years that a player would be intentionally putting stress through the cue shaft. There is not a grain of truth in it either that it will aid anything in respect of accuracy or power, and, if done intentionally by others in some misguided exercise to seek improvement, is very likely to achieve nothing, apart from confusion and disappointment.

That's me out of this one, it's utterly bonkers and I don't have the meds to cope with reading any more....no matter how bored I am.
                              Last edited by trevs1; 9 April 2015, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                                I would hazzard a guess, that if you sat around chatting away merrily with a number of really top level players, be they amateur or professional, they would not have a bloody clue what this was all about. In my experience of spending a fair amount of time around such people, I've not once heard this, ever.

Any apparent bending of a cue during a shot is most likely to occur on backswing, and, is likely to be due to the raising of the grip hand. This disappears (or should disappear) during delivery, as the grip hand moves foward on the stroke, dropping as it moves back towards it's original position at address, where the cue was straight / straight..ish (or aiming to travel along a flat plane)

There would be no way in a squillion years that a player would be intentionally putting stress through the cue shaft. There is not a grain of truth in it either that it will aid anything in respect of accuracy or power, and, if done intentionally by others in some misguided exercise to seek improvement, is very likely to achieve nothing, apart from confusion and disappointment.

That's me out of this one, it's utterly bonkers and I don't have the meds to cope with reading any more....no matter how bored I am.
                                Well that's two very negative comments from you trev..did you actually read the post properly ?

No bending of the cue in this technique

Any down force on the bridge hand is released can I say this again..released through the shot

No tightening of the grip after the initial lining and feathering

And I wasn't advising anyone to adopt, I was merely demonstrating my thoughts to the advice in the original post and answering any sebsequant question asked after this.

Bonkers then may be I am, but just because I have no proof of a subject doesn't make me a scapegoat to troll like posts..you are very cynical or have been in your posts.

Why don't you reserve your judgment and say I told you so when anybody who tries this out says it's all a load of tosh....oh lol ...I am sorry the two who have tried said maybe this can actually add something to there armoury.
                                Last edited by buddfridgeman; 10 April 2015, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X