No announcement yet.

Sight right cues and coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's primary use is as a practice aid rather than a crutch for competition. You can utilize the cue to find your vision center and ensure you are standing in the correct spot on each shot. I don't think it's particularly useful without an instructor to help you set up and change your alignment.

Comment

A lot of the players give it all kinds of abuse on twitter.

Comment

maybe so, but Stuart Bingham gave it an endorsement in his winners speech at the World championship and whether it is any good or not, from a sales and marketing perspective you cant get any better an endorsement than the most recent World Champion, now ranked number 2 in the world.

Smee

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
          Thanks for your feedback mate. Would you say it was money well spent or in hindsight would you have rather used the money for a few coaching lessons instead?
          Nothing beats a good coach that watches you from every angle and seeing your flaws. For me, I felt that the SightRight is over market for its purpose and they could have do abit more for that price (sorry Riley, it's just my personal opinion).

cheers, Z

Comment

I thought there is a rule that aiming device is not allowed in an official tournament, having a device that helps with your alignment on your cue, isn't it a form of aiming device?

Comment

I still have to say I just can't see the value in it as the player can't see it when he's cueing normally. Perhaps it would help with the rest but they sure don't say that in their marketing blurb. I think it's a gimmick and the real value is getting coaching from Steve Feeney since a coach should be able to see the device (provided it's face up) and check the alignment but then again I don't need anything to check a player's alignment when in the address position.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry, this SR could be designed to help the player during practice ?? Cus during the match is almost impossible to keep a eye on it all the time !!!! . Personally would love to give it a try and play a few shots with it !! just curious how it works !! unfortunately there are not many players who play with these cues. so the only way is to try, IS , to buy one !!

Comment

I can fully understand the concept - which can identify alignment issues, for sure.

Would I want one on a cue? No ��
                  #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Just to clear everyone's confusion, the SR indicator is only used just before you step into a shot when we identify the line of aim from vision sighting and moving into the position.

The misalignment is usually caused by our dominant sight where some might unconsciously tilt their head one side while standing behind the shot and walk into a false line of aim when they get down.

I do have this problem when aiming for the blue spot (30° or more cut) with the CB is an inch or less from the cushion where I tend to overcut it. So it did help me in this sense but am sure any decent local coach would be as effective if not better.

My main complain on SR is that for that price I would expect a much better playability cue rather than a £50 standard cue. And the sight right indicator should be covered instead of collecting chalk dust.

Ok, rant over
                    Z

Comment

I'm not confused with what Sight Right is.

Comment

I'm not confused with what Sight Right is.

Comment

The only time a player could see this SR device is when he's standing up behind the shot so he must place his cue on the line of aim right then and there but he still has to get down into the address position and if he doesn't drop his head straight down onto the cue then all of that is lost and that's where a lot of players lose the correct line of aim.
                          Terry Davidson
                          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                            The only time a player could see this SR device is when he's standing up behind the shot so he must place his cue on the line of aim right then and there but he still has to get down into the address position and if he doesn't drop his head straight down onto the cue then all of that is lost and that's where a lot of players lose the correct line of aim.
                            I bought the sight right app on the iPhone and there are some vids on it that aren't on youtube etc...

So imagine a straight blue into the middle bag. You place the cue near the white on the line of aim and then look down. If the two lines are broken then you're not in perfect alignment of the shot. You move your body until the line is unbroken and whilst leaving the cue in that position. You get down on the shot.

You then practise getting into that position until you are used to it. Bingham, Mcleod and Gould all had to shift their position to get perfect alignment.

Strangely enough. When Bingham was correctly down on the line of aim. His right foot wasn't even on the line of aim. Just goes to show you.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                              Strangely enough. When Bingham was correctly down on the line of aim. His right foot wasn't even on the line of aim. Just goes to show you.
                              Just goes to show me what? That it's totally pointless because Bingham has been knocking in 147s since he was 15?
                              Last edited by tedisbill; 10 May 2015, 10:50 PM.
                              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                                Exactly T., if you hold the cue butt with your right hand and hold the top of the splices with your left so that the cue butt just touches your right hip and point down the line of the shot and then get down without moving the cue, your body is adjusted to the shot line and the cue will be over your foot. Players have been using cues to aid alignment forever. You don't need anything else, no aid at all.
                                Last edited by Master Blaster; 10 May 2015, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X