Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't the Trump technique and Set-up now the Textbook Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trump technique is exclusive to him in the pro ranks as he addresses the cue ball right of centre and strikes centre on the delivery stroke. I noticed during the WSC that when he plays the reverse screw shot with left hand side he addresses centre ball and strikes left of centre on the delivery stroke.

It's this fine line in technique on the delivery stroke that can go wrong under pressure IMO and it's also this technique that gives him tremendous power as he must have a turn or flick of the wrist on the delivery stroke that enables this technique to work as well as it does.
    It does fall down more often on slow shots than power shots so it seems harder to time the softer and slower the delivery of the cue.

As Terry says his stance is simply old school boxer with the cue under his right eye just as Robertson's is, just as Ronnie's is but for a right hander with cue under his left eye. No big secret to it as it's how they all naturally sight the shot, but that twist of the wrist ?/arm ?/fingers ? on the delivery stroke is something I wouldn't try to copy unless you naturally cue that way and need to offset the address to allow for it.

Twenty four feet of screw back

Haven't seen Trump himself achieve that..
    More online bollocks I fear that needs to be proven, and from further away than just a measly twelve inches from the green.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      The trump technique is exclusive to him in the pro ranks as he addresses the cue ball right of centre and strikes centre on the delivery stroke. I noticed during the WSC that when he plays the reverse screw shot with left hand side he addresses centre ball and strikes left of centre on the delivery stroke.

It's this fine line in technique on the delivery stroke that can go wrong under pressure IMO and it's also this technique that gives him tremendous power as he must have a turn or flick of the wrist on the delivery stroke that enables this technique to work as well as it does.
      It does fall down more often on slow shots than power shots so it seems harder to time the softer and slower the delivery of the cue.

As Terry says his stance is simply old school boxer with the cue under his right eye just as Robertson's is, just as Ronnie's is but for a right hander with cue under his left eye. No big secret to it as it's how they all naturally sight the shot, but that twist of the wrist ?/arm ?/fingers ? on the delivery stroke is something I wouldn't try to copy unless you naturally cue that way and need to offset the address to allow for it.

More online bollocks I fear that needs to be proven, and from further away than just a measly twelve inches from the green.
      you know how master baters like to exaggerate thier prowess.....

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
        You probably get at least 24' screwback on a nice heated, 3 cushion billiards table.

They just look like green painted slate that they play on. .
        Might go to a club and play on a 6811 today and have a go, it's a bit of a slow, 5yr old cloth on a hundred yr old table, compared to regular club (which is closed till the weekend), definitely no heater, Cold! 1G balls. If I got up to 18ft on this table I'd be happy, nowhere near as nice as other clubs. We shall see!
        Last edited by Master Blaster; 14 May 2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
          you know how master baters like to exaggerate thier prowess.....
          Usually practice on their own as well. Can't figure why their mates don't want to join them when invited to practice. .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Haha! Now folk are making it personal and questioning where the balls should be. Fearing that the test might be completed they're already getting their objections in! Sporting of you all!

Nah, I won't bother because I know folk will say, oh that wasn't valid for this and this and this reason, even if I achieve the 24ft. What a bunch of doubting Thomases. Listen to yourselves, not a drop of positivity, all full of hate. The schadenfreude is flowing well already and it's only midday.

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by Master Blaster; 14 May 2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post

Well, you are half right, it's not a pure boxer stance because his anchor foot is in-line with the shot, not pointing out. This is a crucial difference. When you use the Trump stance, it not only aligns the body and head correctly, it also coils the body and arm. Not a destructive coil but a constructive spring. Folk will now say, oh, we don't play with our backs and shoulder blades! If we didn't have muscles there we wouldn't be able to play a shot at all. The back shape must be very different for Judd and the shoulder blade as well, it just feels different is what I can say. He makes a very deliberate plant of the 2nd foot as well as the anchor.

It's very easy to overcue the shot with this technique, there's almost too much power in the balls for example, it's easy to lose position compared to the Davis or Ronnie technique. That's where a lot of his positional inconsistency comes from. I believe that when he misses, it may be down to the wearing nature of the technique after a couple of hours. This is harder on the body and mind than say Ronnie's set-up.

I believe Judd cues very centre ball when he wants to. I'm not aware of him flicking his wrist so maybe you can provide a video to show this? I simply thought he had incredible timing and the ability to slip through the ball no?

OK VMax, if you don't like a simple green or red near a pocket, you set the 'valid' test and we will all see how far we can screw back.
              Last edited by Master Blaster; 14 May 2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                Usually practice on their own as well. Can't figure why their mates don't want to join them when invited to practice. .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                aye, usually you need someone to go against when sorting the grip out

Comment

The only thing I have to add here is when Judd Trump wins 5 or 6 World Champs as Ronnie and Steve have done then it may be worth considering. Also, I don't think it's a very good idea to copy the technique of one individual pro as we all have different physiques and what suits one player might not suit anyone else.

I have never noticed because I haven't analysed Trump's delivery but if what vmax says is true then he has another part of his technique which must be perfectly coordinated and as he gets older this will be much harder to do. As a coach I much prefer the simple technique with the fewest moving parts so the need for precise coordination of many different movements is eliminated.

One other thing...I can a long blue and screw back to the yellow pocket (just) and I can still pot the blue but if I try to crank up the power to have the cueball fly into the yellow pocket I will normally miss the blue and I've tried a lot of things to get more screw with less power as Master says he gets with the 'Trump' technique. Power is a factor of length of backswing and rate of acceleration and screw also has the factor of how low you can hit the cueball without a mis-cue.
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    The only thing I have to add here is when Judd Trump wins 5 or 6 World Champs as Ronnie and Steve have done then it may be worth considering. Also, I don't think it's a very good idea to copy the technique of one individual pro as we all have different physiques and what suits one player might not suit anyone else.

I have never noticed because I haven't analysed Trump's delivery but if what vmax says is true then he has another part of his technique which must be perfectly coordinated and as he gets older this will be much harder to do. As a coach I much prefer the simple technique with the fewest moving parts so the need for precise coordination of many different movements is eliminated.

One other thing...I can a long blue and screw back to the yellow pocket (just) and I can still pot the blue but if I try to crank up the power to have the cueball fly into the yellow pocket I will normally miss the blue and I've tried a lot of things to get more screw with less power as Master says he gets with the 'Trump' technique. Power is a factor of length of backswing and rate of acceleration and screw also has the factor of how low you can hit the cueball without a mis-cue.
                    I agree with you Terry about some things and that's why I started this topic. Judd's technique is tiring after a while, no doubt. As he gets older it will be harder, just as it was for Hendry, finished at 30. As for copying any player's technique, coaches recommend this all the time, play boxer like Joe Davis or foot-in-line like Steve. Some coaches coach the player leaving their set-up alone but most don't. Otherwise why have a coach? We all have different bodies and coordination so if folk want to try the Trump technique I'd say they would need to be quite flexible, not overweight and have great timing. If they haven't got that but want the power, there's the Lee technique which is awesome as well but the cueing very different from orthodox methods.

Comment

So Mr Blaster you could do 24ft then down to 18ft, but now you are not going to bother!! WTF??????

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        So Mr Blaster you could do 24ft then down to 18ft, but now you are not going to bother!! WTF??????
                        I did the 24ft on a table I won't have access to for the rest of the week, READ! If I go to another club today, the table is quite slow in comparison and old and COLD! READ!

I'm not going to bother because if you read back (!) VMax has invalidated the test, regardless of how far I screw back. So what's the point of me wasting 3 hours of my time, then wait for Youtube to slowly, slowly, slowly upload a video for your pleasure when it will be trashed straight away by the unsporting muppets? Agree a test and then let's see. I've got no time for time wasters. I'd rather varnish me decking.

But I will say this, I wish Pottr was around because he could do the test in no time with his table and video camera at home and save me wasting my time here!

Byrom, did you do the test?
                        Last edited by Master Blaster; 14 May 2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Show me an 18ft one anyway, start where you like

Comment

Show me an 18ft one anyway, start where you like
                            Can't be bothered now. Decking it is.

Comment

Full of **** then just as everyone suspected

Comment

Full of **** then just as everyone suspected
                                talks more crap than a tory with his mouth open