Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Measure app

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone's tried this app ? It does offer promise if it tracks body movement and your cue's movement (see the link below)

http://www.hixfield.net/cuemeasure/index.html

In theory - it sounds like it might be useful (I'm even thinking of getting an Iphone to find out ha).

Obviously it's not perfect and doesn't take into consideration timing etc or the other factors that contribute to accurate cueing. I'm not sure how you can bechmark the stats either. I.e. What are a pro's stats so you can aim at something.

Anyone had any experience of it ? Do any coaches on here advocate it ?

Knowledge is power after all......

All thoughts welcome before I buy a ridiculously expensive phone just for a £1.50 app.

Cheers for your help and may the snooker gods be with you!

I have it and have used it a few times, not used it enough to pass full judgement yet.

A Few Points

The biggest problem is getting it attached to the cue, I was thinking of a iPhone holder you would use for a pushbike maybe.
    Are you throwing off your cue action by adding all this weight to the cue? I'd say yes but it is still useful.
    Nic Barrow's version which is a wrist strap transmitting to a computer which is better but costs £395 and it only works on Windows.
    You need to know the mechanics of Snooker to interpret all of the data this produces.

A iWatch version would be the perfect solution but again £300+ spend required compared to purchasing a £1.50 app.

If you are thinking of getting Nic's Cue Action recorded then get this first to see if you can translate the data into changes in your cue action before spending all that money.

Comment

i was thinking this looks useful, however didn't understand how it would record the data. now reading Ferrets comments that you need to attach it to your cue sounds ridiculous.

how would you get it stable enough?, (i suppose you could tape it) where would be the ideal position to attach it? and finally surely this would effect the balance of the cue and add weight to it therefore might be giving back false data because of the weight this would change how you would play the shot surely.

i think the price says it all, £1.49 compares to £300+ for other versions

Comment

I do want to clarify that if you are trying to use this on your own it is very tricky but if you have someone to help you then it is easier but you do need two Apple devices.

Two device setup - strap your iPhone to the cue where the player feels most comfortable, you connect the app to your other iPhone or iPad via Bluetooth, you then use the iPad for control and analysis.

Once you get in position on the table you calibrate the device so it knows it starting orientation with one person this is tricky as you have to touch the screen on the phone with two people the person holding the iPad does this for the player from the iPad. The player takes his shot and the data is live transmitted to the iPad.

There is a option on the app to save the data and it gives you live feedback in a percentage as to how good your shot was which is good for quick feedback and you have the graphs for;

Angles
        • Rotation of wrist
        • L/R Body Movement
        • Parallel to table

Movement
        • Strike or Wiggles
        • L/R Body Movement
        • Cue up/down

Comment

Bloody hell. This is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen. Please don't bother. Absolutely totally and utterly pointless.

Best thing you can do is film yourself play. Do you look like Shaun Murphy on the shot? If not, there's room for improvement.
          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
            Bloody hell. This is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen. Please don't bother. Absolutely totally and utterly pointless.

Best thing you can do is film yourself play. Do you look like Shaun Murphy on the shot? If not, there's room for improvement.
            So many jokes there, but no desire to be banned. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
              So many jokes there, but no desire to be banned. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Haha! I can't imagine what those would be

Comment

the concept can be useful, however the application looks like a nightmare. way too much hassle. the idea needs to be developed until it becomes more practical

Comment

its a 1.50 ap its worth paying that even for a laugh - tape it to a mini butt screw in and off you trot. might be better on an i watch - hands up if you have one you little fitness fanatics

As for what good this is - not exactly sure - I am with ted way too technical and deep for something relatively simple - a coach or your friend or you yourself might be able to do this if you film yourself and you know what to look for can spot if you move on the shot or twist you wrist or if your alignment is off or if you have any other strange inhibiting quirks.

Is there any such thing as the perfect cue action - I'm not sure?
                  Last edited by Byrom; 30 June 2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post

Or see a coach, they can spot things even video can't. I can't believe anyone falls for all these crapple apps. It's just a license to print money and rob you of your hard earned. Even with the data, even if you could attach the phone to the cue (which would ruin the experiment and the data anyway, i.e. adding 150g to a cue) what you gonna do with the data?!

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                      Or see a coach, they can spot things even video can't. I can't believe anyone falls for all these crapple apps. It's just a license to print money and rob you of your hard earned. Even with the data, even if you could attach the phone to the cue (which would ruin the experiment and the data anyway, i.e. adding 150g to a cue) what you gonna do with the data?!
                      You've said something sensible. Well done.

Comment

Cheers fellas,

Thought it was too good to be true. Leaves me more money for beer and women !

Comment

well One pound fifty wont get you much in the way of beer and women unless you live in Bournemouth in which case you'll still have change for a bag of chips

Comment

Bought the app and had some shots today. Every digit green on "Ronny" level. Just waiting for the centuries to fly in

Comment

get yourself a bore sighter far easier and very accurate

Comment

Working...
                              X