Grip problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip problem

At the end of final delivery my griphand twists the cue ...
    Tried a lot but couldnt stop it consciously...is there someway i could remove this flaw...?

Well, I'm not a coach !! But just one question :
    Do u have a large hand !! Bcus in that case , The size of the button is important !! Has to suit ur griphand !!
    If the diam of the cue's butt is too thin and u have a large hand , could be the reason to whay the cue twists !!
    a m8 of mine had the same problem !! butt diam of his cue was 29 mm !! He Bought a cue with 30 mm butt diam an
    After that , never happened again !!
    Also ur grip during the backswing is important !! NOT TOO LOOSE !!! Your fingers must remain in tuch with the button of the cue !! I belive snooker coaches calling that : Firm grip ?? ( if I'm not mistaking ) .
    Closeing ur grip too early could also be the reason !! Wait until the cue tip hit the CB ( striking ) !! normally if u have a right setup , the button of the cue'll reach ur chest and That's the right timeing to closeing ur griphand and complt the delivery !!
    What ever u do , DO NOT put pressure on it !! Try to be relax during the delivery and let the cue doing his job !!
    As I said , I'm Not a coach !! this was just my opinion !! I hope u get sum better replays here and I hope u enjoy ur game !!

Comment

Is there a standard way/method for measuring the right cue butt size?

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      Well, I'm not a coach !! But just one question :
      Do u have a large hand !! Bcus in that case , The size of the button is important !! Has to suit ur griphand !!
      If the diam of the cue's butt is too thin and u have a large hand , could be the reason to whay the cue twists !!
      a m8 of mine had the same problem !! butt diam of his cue was 29 mm !! He Bought a cue with 30 mm butt diam an
      After that , never happened again !!
      Also ur grip during the backswing is important !! NOT TOO LOOSE !!! Your fingers must remain in tuch with the button of the cue !! I belive snooker coaches calling that : Firm grip ?? ( if I'm not mistaking ) .
      Closeing ur grip too early could also be the reason !! Wait until the cue tip hit the CB ( striking ) !! normally if u have a right setup , the button of the cue'll reach ur chest and That's the right timeing to closeing ur griphand and complt the delivery !!
      What ever u do , DO NOT put pressure on it !! Try to be relax during the delivery and let the cue doing his job !!
      As I said , I'm Not a coach !! this was just my opinion !! I hope u get sum better replays here and I hope u enjoy ur game !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Rudraksh View Post
        At the end of final delivery my griphand twists the cue ...
        Tried a lot but couldnt stop it consciously...is there someway i could remove this flaw...?
        I too am not a coach but I'd guess you're gripping or 'nipping' the cue tight on delivery.

I still do that occasionally, especially on the odd power shot. Again, not saying that this is your problem, but I significantly reduced the amount of times I twisted on delivery by holding the cue as lightly as felt comfortable to me and concentrating on delivering the cue smoothly and not in a quick jerk.

If you find you're twisting the cue on any shots that you're putting a bit of power in I'd wager on the above!
        #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Thanks bolten
          As u say i think that is my problem
          Il improvise..

Comment

Thanks bolten
            As u say i think that is my problem
            Il improvise..
            Don't be too negative on yourself. Every player has (possiblel) flaws in their technique. At least you've identified that something is going wrong. Spotting it is the first step, which you have done! That's the first step on the path to curing it

But at then end of the day there's no right or wrong way really... have an experiment and see if holding the cue lighter makes a difference.

Comment

Originally Posted by devilronnie View Post
              no... as there is no 'right' butt size in relation to the size of your hand.

It's like the myth that a player who is x feet tall MUST HAVE a cue that is y inches in length.

Comment

I used to be like you, twisting the cue and moving it side to side on multiple shots either power or normal shots, I found an article online regarding the grip that says you almost have to be throwing the cue on delivery and then catch it after follow through, when I used this technique my cueing and grip improved tremendously. I rarely do the twist if I'm under pressure, which I think will go once I trained my mind to do the right thing under pressure as well.

Comment

But how can someone almost throw the cue..?
                  Can u explain..?
                  I didnt get it...

Comment

But how can someone almost throw the cue..?
                    Can u explain..?
                    I didnt get it...
                    its mainly a pool thing - google for 'Slip Stroke'

I wont say anymore that its a load of nonsense.

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                      its mainly a pool thing - google for 'Slip Stroke'

I wont say anymore that its a load of nonsense.
                      Throwing the cue is a load of nonsense?
                      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Another way to help cure twisting the wrist (which is a very common fault by the way) is to keep the grip flexible and loose (but not too loose) as is said above but also to ensure you have a decent wrist cock (if you don't know what that is google it).

The best definition of grip pressure was done by Steve Davis where he said form your grip and then with the other hand see if the cue will slide easily through the grip.

At the end of the delivery with a lot of good players the grip will switch to the back 3 or 2 fingers and sometimes this will cause a wrist turn which happens so the baby finger can get a better grip on the cue. As said above the fingers should remain in contact with the butt even at the end of the longest backswing but this doesn't mean the whole finger remember, in fact at the back it's just the tip of the baby finger.
                        Terry Davidson
                        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by devilronnie View Post
                          As far as i know , No thr is'nt !!
                          just which butt size You're comfortable with !!

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                            Throwing the cue is a load of nonsense?
                            ... depends who its being thrown at

but the notion of having a grip that is so loose the cue slips through your hand, then you grab it an inch or two further down the butt during the completion of the shot is quite daft imho. The very fact you're changing your grip tension deliberately during your shot doesn't make any sense IMHO

Comment

I am at the club and tried what you said terry but when switch to last 3 finger at final delivery it miscues

Comment

Working...
                              X