Grip - a double ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip - a double ring?

This came up today at practice. For some unknown reason I began relaxing the index thumb of the grip. I play with a ring grip and this was influenced by Ray Reardon or RR as I like to refer to him because he was a real class player, like a limousine. Anyway, Spike has a thread http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...th-Ray-Reardon well worth a look on an RR book. In Ch.4 of the book there is the Grip. Ray was very fond of a player holding the cue up vertically up to the ceiling with just the index finger/thumb in a ring with the V of the web directly over the centre of the chamfer. You apply just enough pressure to stop the cue falling through the ring. No gaps are allowed in the ring. This grip stopped a player gripping with the hand pointing in or pointing out, so that the cue was directly under the wrist position, hanging in a neutral manner. In theory it meant that there was more likelyhood of taking the cue straight back and delivering straight forward. Straight cueing is crucial so grip is not important, it's critical to have the right one for 'you'. But not everyone suits a V over chamfer ring grip and the types of grip employed are many and varied.

Anyway, back to practice. So I didn't just relax the index finger and allow a loose grip, I substituted some pressure from the middle finger to stabilise the grip. Lo and behold I found that I cued straighter and with more punch but slightly less spin. But that may have been it being new to me? And then I thought of John Parrot, an awesome potter at his peak who used the two finger grip where the front two fingers share the load. For me, they were in sharing it equally. Taking the cue right back, the second phalanx of the middle finger was still in contact with the back two fingers quite open as usual. But my index finger had relaxed a fair bit and had slid forward more than usual with the second joint jutting out and on power shots, the index finger dropped forward, a bit like MJW I someone has said. Not sure if that description is accurate.

Does Ronnie also employ this grip? I read somewhere that he uses a fairly loose index finger to help with elbow drop, the cueing technique Del Hill taught him.

So what are the pros and cons of the different grips? What do you favour? I ask because I'm not sure whether to develop this find.
    Index Finger Ring Grip Orthodox
    30.23%
    Index & Middle Finger Combined Ring Grip
    20.93%
    Hurricane Grip: I don't need an index finger, I'm the best ever
    6.98%
    Hand cocked In
    2.33%
    Hand cocked Out
    2.33%
    Loosely sitting between index finger and thumb, big gap to web and little back finger contact
    4.65%
    Who cares, pick up the damn cue and pot balls.
    32.56%
    Last edited by barrywhite; 5 January 2016, 09:30 PM.

I'm using a index and middle fingers to wrap the cue,lightly touching the tumb.find out this will help me better on lite push shot.

Comment

I do same way with thumb touching index finger. Better and more consistent cueing that way I find.

Comment

To me , grip is crucial . It's the key to your cue power and keep the cue straight at the time of striking .

Comment

Do you think this would help with deep screw shots? Try it on a 24ft screwback

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
            Do you think this would help with deep screw shots? Try it on a 24ft screwback
            Only if paired with a Trump-style straight foot down the line.

Comment

""Who cares, pick up the damn cue and pot balls"".

However, my cue just sits in my 3 fingers, not little one with a slightly grippier grip for the cush shots.
              JP Majestic
              3/4
              57"
              17oz
              9.5mm Elk

Comment

I've read Ray Reardon's book and in it he says pick up the cue like it is a poker or hammer, firm grip but not tight, and that's all.

I do that, don't really know what finger is doing what, can't see myself when I'm playing, if I think about anything other than looking at the object ball I play crap, so pick up the damn cue, firm but not tight, and pot balls.

Comment

Also, what happens in a match under pressure is that the actual cue arm can tighten up, this is fatal. I was playing a last frame decider the other night and before the start I made sure I told myself to relax the cue arm, so, as to promote hitting from the elbow, thus getting through the white. I did win and did cue well. So, imo, the relaxed arm keeps the grip better too
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                    Also, what happens in a match under pressure is that the actual cue arm can tighten up, this is fatal. I was playing a last frame decider the other night and before the start I made sure I told myself to relax the cue arm, so, as to promote hitting from the elbow, thus getting through the white. I did win and did cue well. So, imo, the relaxed arm keeps the grip better too
                    Is that why grip is so important, because at its best, should it be the only thing (and a bit of forearm) driving the cue, i.e. isolate the elbow, no upper arm and shoulder muscles in play?

Comment

Don't know about anyone else but I don't hit the cue ball with my grip or hand ( if that makes sense) it's with the forearm, if my hand leads first or gets involved it all goes wrong.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Don't know about anyone else but I don't hit the cue ball with my grip or hand ( if that makes sense) it's with the forearm, if my hand leads first or gets involved it all goes wrong.
                        I'm a little mystified here. So are you saying you don't open your fingers at all? Or are you saying you take the cue back with your forearm which leads then grip opens, then the forearm drives the cue forward and the fingers close secondary? Or something else?

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                          I'm a little mystified here. So are you saying you don't open your fingers at all? Or are you saying you take the cue back with your forearm which leads then grip opens, then the forearm drives the cue forward and the fingers close secondary? Or something else?
                          Yep the second part, if I try and push or pull with my hand it doesn't open or close correctly as there is a bit of tension in it. My grip is basically just the index finger and thumb, the other fingers open on the way back but if the other three close round too quickly on the way forward ( which happens if I hit it with my hand)it all goes horribly wrong, even if I pot the ball I will have miss timed it. As I say that's just me, I don't even know if that's correct lol.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                            I've read Ray Reardon's book and in it he says pick up the cue like it is a poker or hammer, firm grip but not tight, and that's all.

I do that, don't really know what finger is doing what, can't see myself when I'm playing, if I think about anything other than looking at the object ball I play crap, so pick up the damn cue, firm but not tight, and pot balls.
                            This is actually the answer to this thread.

Comment

where the thumb rests can actually change your grip entirely...

Comment

Working...
                              X