Luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by markz View Post
    I agree Shockerz, I just think we all get them and over a longer period it's bound to balance out. Like you say, best to crack on and forget about it.
    I thought about the balance thing a couple of years ago and actually kept a record as a matter of interest and from memory (and it's not great but won't be that far off) it was something like I got a couple and there were some 30 odd against. I also did it a few weeks ago and was gutted when it was something like a dozen to '0.'

What it actually proved to me when I looked back at the players was that generally the players who hit a firmer ball got more as it obviously traveled further.

But, as I think we all agree, there's no benefit in brooding (as we are) as it won't change the result; move onto the next match.

The one joy I do have is when one of our famous flukers losers to a fluke (which is rare) it's amazing how they can't believe how bad their luck is.........gotta smile at that!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      I thought about the balance thing a couple of years ago and actually kept a record as a matter of interest and from memory (and it's not great but won't be that far off) it was something like I got a couple and there were some 30 odd against. I also did it a few weeks ago and was gutted when it was something like a dozen to '0.'

What it actually proved to me when I looked back at the players was that generally the players who hit a firmer ball got more as it obviously traveled further.

But, as I think we all agree, there's no benefit in brooding (as we are) as it won't change the result; move onto the next match.

The one joy I do have is when one of our famous flukers losers to a fluke (which is rare) it's amazing how they can't believe how bad their luck is.........gotta smile at that!
      Oh yes, when the boots on the other foot I enjoy watching them huff and puff and have a bit of a cry about their bad luck lol

Comment

Are you counting all the little nudges here and there that players don't play as well. That's massive in snooker. A little nudge leaving a player snookered. A little nudge leaving you perfectly on the next ball. Missing and getting away with it.

I'm just saying you'd need to record all of those things. Maybe you don't actually fluke a ball, but get loads of little nudges?

Not that any of it matters. Just play better.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

as others have said, I try not to show frustration at any time, either by my own poor play or their flukes; so not to give them any psychological advantage in their own mind. And also as mentioned if my opponents starts flapping I feel better and use it to my advantage :wink:
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Over the thirty odd years that I have been playing, among players of equal ability, I have found it's the positive players who generally get the run of the balls, those that are pensive tend to keep getting out of position, stick it up when they miss and always look for excuses to lose, forgetting all the chances that they turned down, all the balls they missed, and all the wrong shots they played.

Keeping a flukes diary is positively looking for excuses to lose, no two ways about it, and if you're getting beat by a fluked ball that only 16 is scored from then you need to look at your own break building.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              Over the thirty odd years that I have been playing, among players of equal ability, I have found it's the positive players who generally get the run of the balls, those that are pensive tend to keep getting out of position, stick it up when they miss and always look for excuses to lose, forgetting all the chances that they turned down, all the balls they missed, and all the wrong shots they played.

Keeping a flukes diary is positively looking for excuses to lose, no two ways about it, and if you're getting beat by a fluked ball that only 16 is scored from then you need to look at your own break building.
              "forgetting" I think you meant that "not forgetting"; a pensive, frustrated player does not forget all the missed balls, missed opportunities and they mull over and over their "bad luck", and it grinds them down inside and they go down the spiral of doubt and tense up on shots and miss even more :wink:
              A positive player moves on and forgets the misses, etc.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                Are you counting all the little nudges here and there that players don't play as well. That's massive in snooker. A little nudge leaving a player snookered. A little nudge leaving you perfectly on the next ball. Missing and getting away with it.

I'm just saying you'd need to record all of those things. Maybe you don't actually fluke a ball, but get loads of little nudges?

Not that any of it matters. Just play better.
                Never got as deep as that as I don't think it's healthy thinking overall; I was just counting fluked pots personally.

It does amuse me when players go off 3 cushions with the white, cannon a red to leave them perfect on the pink and go, "What? I played that." Yeah right!

I lost my first handicap competition this year to a guy who almost immediately put the blue, pink and black on the cushion (a ploy of his when he thinks he in over his head). Over the course of the frame he fluked 4 balls (yes 4, a first for me) and 5/6 snookers after nudges.

I lost on the black and then took stick from every team player I met over the next couple of weeks asking how I could lose to this guy; believe me, no-one is listening to how bad your luck is when they can stick it to you.

Serves me right for be a p**s taker when I get the opportunity.

But hey, apparently it's only a game.

Comment

Never got as deep as that as I don't think it's healthy thinking overall; I was just counting fluked pots personally.

It does amuse me when players go off 3 cushions with the white, cannon a red to leave them perfect on the pink and go, "What? I played that." Yeah right!

I lost my first handicap competition this year to a guy who almost immediately put the blue, pink and black on the cushion (a ploy of his when he thinks he in over his head). Over the course of the frame he fluked 4 balls (yes 4, a first for me) and 5/6 snookers after nudges.

I lost on the black and then took stick from every team player I met over the next couple of weeks asking how I could lose to this guy; believe me, no-one is listening to how bad your luck is when they can stick it to you.

Serves me right for be a p**s taker when I get the opportunity.

But hey, apparently it's only a game.
                  You have a good memory, I struggle to remember my last shot as the next shot is the most important.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post

Wasn't sure if that was aimed at me Steve?

The diary I kept was an idea of a coach not myself. The diary was to try and help understand what happens on average (good and bad) so it would help me concentrate on what went well in a frame and what events happened that might have lost me a match i.e. certain shots.

Apparently faced with similar positions we make similar decisions and they might be costing or helping us to win. It was just to recognise what might be happening as a norm so we can practice certain areas to get better and it was useful as at the time it showed my safety just wasn't good enough at crucial times so off I went to practice.

The fluke thing was just an additional note as I had a few close matches which had turned on the colours with a fluke. Couldn't do anything about it so concentrated on what I could do.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                      You have a good memory, I struggle to remember my last shot as the next shot is the most important.
                      I keep a team diary of what players win or lose by, who they played and a couple of lines on what happened. We are lucky to have too many players for the team and some of them seem to remember their wins and losses different to me when they don't get picked so I spoil it with facts.

And yes, I've dropped myself for tomorrows match so gotta pull me socks up as well.

Comment

Players who smash the balls recklessly might have more chance of fluking the pot but it's definitely not a long term plan. When I play people who seem to be getting a lot of flukes I try to take the wind out of their sails by making life more difficult for them. Getting the cue ball tight on the cushion is important because it will soon frustrate the opponent as they can't get the cue ball contact they want. Getting distance between the object ball and the cue ball tight on a cushion is more important than a snooker where the player can get their hand on the table where they have more control with applying spin.

In some ways I think getting flukes is like playing a hand in Holdem you should have folded and then getting the nuts on the flop.
                        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                          Players who smash the balls recklessly might have more chance of fluking the pot but it's definitely not a long term plan. When I play people who seem to be getting a lot of flukes I try to take the wind out of their sails by making life more difficult for them. Getting the cue ball tight on the cushion is important because it will soon frustrate the opponent as they can't get the cue ball contact they want. Getting distance between the object ball and the cue ball tight on a cushion is more important than a snooker where the player can get their hand on the table where they have more control with applying spin.

In some ways I think getting flukes is like playing a hand in Holdem you should have folded and then getting the nuts on the flop.
                          Can't disagree with that, that's why I tried to improve my safety.

It's a good thread but as a few have said, you just need to concentrate on what you can do something about.

Comment

Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
                            I agree but not totally, sometimes we play really well and still lose!
                            Well, i said match ( not a single frame ).
                            com on Phil, you do'nt realy believe that, do you??
                            I mean an player who get the chance to make a frame winning break. He runs a 24 break and gonna miss the next red. can't possibly say I lost the frame cuz of a fluke .
                            It's true, his opponent may visit the table and get e few nice flukes. But in the end, you are the one who has missed that red. You are the one who was not able to make that frame winning break and finish the job. So, you did'nt play well. ( not speaking about you , but in general ).
                            I do agree with you that sumtimes table turns against you . But , in my opinion , if you play well, you do get the run of the balls as well.
                            You may lose a frame by fluke ( sumthing personally I can't imagine ), But lossing the MATCH just cuz of fluks ??? well, that's new to me .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                              Well, i said match ( not a single frame ).
                              com on Phil, you do'nt realy believe that, do you??
                              I mean an player who get the chance to make a frame winning break. He runs a 24 break and gonna miss the next red. can't possibly say I lost the frame cuz of a fluke .
                              It's true, his opponent may visit the table and get e few nice flukes. But in the end, you are the one who has missed that red. You are the one who was not able to make that frame winning break and finish the job. So, you did'nt play well. ( not speaking about you , but in general ).
                              I do agree with you that sumtimes table turns against you . But , in my opinion , if you play well, you do get the run of the balls as well.
                              You may lose a frame by fluke ( sumthing personally I can't imagine ), But lossing the MATCH just cuz of fluks ??? well, that's new to me .
                              Fair enough lol. Maybe I'm just a little bitter!

Comment

Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
                                Fair enough lol. Maybe I'm just a little bitter!
                                Lol , me too !!
                                I'm also Not happy when this kind of things happens . ( A fluke ? AGAIN ??? )
                                So, I am no exception . That's for sure !!

Comment

Working...
                                X