getting through the ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cally View Post
    You couldn't possibly hit the ball that hard without follow through. without decelerating the cue tremendously and not change how the ball reacts. The reason you need to hit through the ball and follow through is about fluency of the stroke. Really, The follow through is just continuing the momentum of the complete stroke.. That's what's important.
    The cue ball does not care how you hit him all he knows is I was hit a 30mph by a 19oz level cue at 6 oclock

see here http://billiards.colostate.edu/techn...new/TP_A-9.pdf
    Last edited by Philthepockets; 26 January 2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Not quite. I hear what you're saying but we're human, not robots..
      It's impossible for us to hit the ball at '30mph with no follow through without decelerating severely and the ball will definitely not react same way, at all...

The cue ball might not care how you hit it but you're my mssing the point I'm afraid.

Comment

It's impossible for us to hit the ball at '30mph with no follow through without decelerating severely and the ball will definitely not react same way, at all...

The cue ball might not care how you hit it but you're my mssing the point I'm afraid.
        Sorry it was the way you worded it, the cue instantly decels at impact that was my point. Of course the mechanics of how your arm generates cue speed is affected by the follow through but impact at a given speed will produce the same results regardless of what happens before or after impact.

Comment

Originally Posted by Philthepockets View Post
          No you haven't, they did not hit he ball where you or they think they did.

I have shown scientific evidence in the form of submitted papers by a Phd and your rebuttal has been some anecdotal meanderings about Trump and the word " Bollocks"
          Very good. If drawing the ball is your only measure it's not that hard to draw the ball a table length in the right conditions, hell I can get back to the balk line on a club table.
          Utter rubbish, it's just a poor model about pool balls. It does not take into account the myriad of factors that occur during a snooker shot. To dismiss important factors such as acceleration at the take back point, timing, follow through, how the cue is weighted, grip of the cue and chalk only shows your ignorance about snooker. What is your high break?

You'll be telling me next the type of tip is completely unimportant for imparting spin, only constant velocity matters! :biggrin-new:

And you still haven't presented your qualifications in physics and engineering either. If I go and pull a dodgy thesis on the spine and speak gibberish about it, it neither makes me correct nor expert dear boy.
          Last edited by barrywhite; 26 January 2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Quit it with the 'canadian' thing and general disrespect towards members, eh!

No need for it...

Comment

A good follow through is best practise, but is not necessary: the CB has loooong gone. Steve davis made this point during a segue at the last snooker world champs - in short, it matters not whether the stroke finishes 6" past the CB or 36", the CB does not care. Neither does it matter if the players cues across the ball - all that matters is the point of impact. There are plenty of american pool players with diabolical cue actions who never miss a ball or make a mistake, and it's all because they have learnt to hit the CB exactly where they are aiming. Everything before and after the precise moment of impact is totally irrelevant.

Comment

Quit it with the 'canadian' thing and general disrespect towards members, eh!

No need for it...
                Especiallly when he's wrong, like he is here. MB we all know you like a good wind-up (who doesn't?) but educate yourself first lad, eh?

Comment

"Silliest thing I have ever heard" This is your evidence?
                  Hmmm
                  no my evidence is playing the game, making cues, not googling rubbish, it hurts me to see the things you write along with others of your ilk that quote these things as facts when real knowledge is earned not just repeated

Comment

My point being was not being able to get through the ball if you decelerate to such an extent. My point wasn't about how far the cue follows through.!its more a point of the continuation of the shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                      Utter rubbish, it's just a poor model about pool balls. It does not take into account the myriad of factors that occur during a snooker shot. To dismiss important factors such as acceleration at the take back point, timing, follow through, how the cue is weighted, grip of the cue and chalk only shows your ignorance about snooker. What is your high break?
                      Irrelevant

You'll be telling me next the type of tip is completely unimportant for imparting spin, only constant velocity matters! :biggrin-new:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threa....html#hardness

And you still haven't presented your qualifications in physics and engineering either. If I go and pull a dodgy thesis on the spine and speak gibberish about it, it neither makes me correct nor expert dear boy.
                      I am not a physicist and Lewis Hamilton is not a mechanic.

Comment

What difference does size of ball make?

What difference does his high break make to his understanding of what happens when leather hits phenolic resin?

Oh, and type of tip IS irrelevant (in general terms) - hardness, too. Oh, and shape. Sorry.

He has presented peer reviewed evidence from the world's leading authority on cue sports physics, and your evidence comes from asking some made up bird? Erm...

Educate yourself, lad.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                          no my evidence is playing the game, making cues, not googling rubbish, it hurts me to see the things you write along with others of your ilk that quote these things as facts when real knowledge is earned not just repeated
                          Please clarify what is my "Ilk"

Comment

I am not a physicist and Lewis Hamilton is not a mechanic.
                            Lol. Careful, my friend, the dark ages are alive and well in these parts...

Comment

My point being was not being able to get through the ball if you decelerate to such an extent. My point wasn't about how far the cue follows through.!its more a point of the continuation of the shot.
                              It doesn't matter, if you achieve the given speed at impact that is all that matters.

Comment

there is a first for everthing and this is it bazza!!!!! i agree with you, i have seen first hand what they do to bits of wood in the name of science and i pxxx myself laughing, i know you dont like joints but you would have a stroke at the overcomplicated way they try to join two bits of wood together, but seriously to completely disregard cue flex, tips, cue action ect proves as far as i am concerned that a little knowledge is indeed not so much dangerous but certainly misleading

Comment

Working...
                                X