sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    Interesting. Can you upload it to youtube? I have a hard time believing a 4 time world champion would look at anything other than the OB last.

I can't and the reason is because it's a frame by frame thing that you control yourself with your finger on the screen, so you can go through the frames as slow or fast as you want .Also when I did it you do it so that your doing the frames in time with the eyes and with Higgins the cueball is sometimes 3-4 inches on its way before his eyes lift .

I know most folk will disagree with me but try for yourself . Il dig out the app and post which one I used and take a video of him yourself . It's the only way I can think of to show you what I mean . Video him on a half ball shot or something so that you can easily be sure that his eyes are not rising to the pocket etc

Comment

Ok . The app is called slow motion video player . The logo is a video camera with the word "slow " in bright green

Comment

Cheers CatchI did this when it was talked about on another thread, there were videos posted up of players looking at the cue ball including Hendry, Higgins and Mark Williams iirc, but it turned out not one of them were, I couldn't find one example of any player looking at the cue ball at point of contact with the cue ball, but I will try again using this app.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Cheers CatchI did this when it was talked about on another thread, there were videos posted up of players looking at the cue ball including Hendry, Higgins and Mark Williams iirc, but it turned out not one of them were, I couldn't find one example of any player looking at the cue ball at point of contact with the cue ball, but I will try again using this app.
          I don't advocate one method over the other etc but like you I was intrigued by the debate . With Higgins it's easy to spot on that app as he has a prominent eyebrow movement as he looks up and down from CB but I'm 100% confident with that app you will be able to see for sure .

With Ronnie I noticed it on SOME of his long pots . Those shots were also easy to spot because the pots were long it was easy to see that on freeze frame his eyes could not possibly be looking up at OB and the freeze frame had the CB on its way .

If you try it with the app you will see why I say you can't put it on a video to upload etc because you need to flick through the frames watching the players eyes go OB then CB the OB then CB etc so that on the strike you know what they were long at

Anyways ...give it a go and let me know what you think

Comment

I couldn't find that app Catch, I tried some others but they don't let you import video from the net.

Comment

I had to point the ipad at the tv to get the video

Comment

Just had a look on App Store and can't see it either . There will be others though that do the same thing

Comment

Ah! I was hoping I could use video off youtube.

Comment

You could but you would need to play the video on YouTube on a laptop or PC etc and then just point the iPad at it and record it .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                      You could but you would need to play the video on YouTube on a laptop or PC etc and then just point the iPad at it and record it .
                      Well, to be honest I have a software and I can download video's and play it slowmotion .
                      that software is not free btw . Did cost me about 40 US DLR .
                      I've seen most of the pro's playing ( with slowmotion ) .
                      So far , non of them are CB players .
                      Sum of them re indeed looking at the CB ( at the time of striking ). But they are doing it with
                      Safty shots . Bcuz with safty shots the player concentrate on where the CB gonna end up ( NOT OB ).
                      Not saying I do'nt believe you , bcuz JH is one of the players I have'nt seen yet ( with slow motion ).
                      I'm gonna give it a try to download few frames of JH and play it with slowM .
                      Btw , if Sumone intrested in this software , I can give you a link .
                      But It's Not free lol . Gonna cost you money .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                        Well, to be honest I have a software and I can download video's and play it slowmotion .
                        that software is not free btw . Did cost me about 40 US DLR .
                        I've seen most of the pro's playing ( with slowmotion ) .
                        So far , non of them are CB players .
                        Sum of them re indeed looking at the CB ( at the time of striking ). But they are doing it with
                        Safty shots . Bcuz with safty shots the player concentrate on where the CB gonna end up ( NOT OB ).
                        Not saying I do'nt believe you , bcuz JH is one of the players I have'nt seen yet ( with slow motion ).
                        I'm gonna give it a try to download few frames of JH and play it with slowM .
                        Btw , if Sumone intrested in this software , I can give you a link .
                        But It's Not free lol . Gonna cost you money .

Nice . i downloaded the app to try and sort my cuing issue of cuing across the ball . But instead I used it for the OB CB debate instead lol

Tbh I wasn't gonna bother posting on this topic with the results I saw on the app because I thought it would cause a storm in a teacup . But I'm super confident that JH is CB on almost every shot.

I must add this was recently I did this . Not JH from years ago .

Most players were indeed OB

Comment

Sometimes I don't even focus on the ob I just generally look in the direction and almost defocus eyes and often it works.

Anyone get this ? I try to zone in on the contact point but other pots I just see a wide defocussed view

Comment

Guys, for the love of cream cake... You do not need to think about this!

Line the shot up. Keep still... deliver the cue straight...

The only thing that can cause you to miss the ball is undue movement. Your eyes do not pot the ball, your arm does. If you're missing simple balls, then you've likely rushed a part of fundamental technique for that particular shot.

If you deliver the cue straight and you don't move, all you need to worry about for your eyes is whether or not you're on the line of aim.

This point of contact thing must have been drummed up by some coach who wanted to validate some point he said and elaborated to the point where we are today.

Yes, at the point of contact you should be looking at the OB. But the only reason you would not be doing this is because you had the thought to look elsewhere!

Trying to implement conscious control over an unconscious part of your technique is pure lunacy in my book. Your efforts and energy could be better spent on other aspects of the cue action.

Where am I looking? That is the road to ruin.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                              Guys, for the love of cream cake... You do not need to think about this!

Line the shot up. Keep still... deliver the cue straight...

The only thing that can cause you to miss the ball is undue movement. Your eyes do not pot the ball, your arm does. If you're missing simple balls, then you've likely rushed a part of fundamental technique for that particular shot.

If you deliver the cue straight and you don't move, all you need to worry about for your eyes is whether or not you're on the line of aim.

This point of contact thing must have been drummed up by some coach who wanted to validate some point he said and elaborated to the point where we are today.

Yes, at the point of contact you should be looking at the OB. But the only reason you would not be doing this is because you had the thought to look elsewhere!

Trying to implement conscious control over an unconscious part of your technique is pure lunacy in my book. Your efforts and energy could be better spent on other aspects of the cue action.

Where am I looking? That is the road to ruin.
                              + what potter says…

Most average players I see do not keep still on the shot even though they cue straight. Work on this first. The fact that I can get down on a shot and close my eyes on the final backswing and still pot the ball proves where you are looking doesn't matter. The fact you can't cue straight, move on the shot, or have other random inconsistencies in your technique, most certainly does.

Comment

I keep on banging on about movement. Please stop moving guys,,,,, and me...hahaha...
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X