Found something interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kick shot is a pool term.

never has it been used in snooker terminology.

Except by numpties.
    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
      Simla to "scratch " .....did the ball get scratched as it fell into the pocket . No ..........but it did go "in off" the object ball

P.s not trying to be a d1ck .....just a bit of pond banter
      Another fine example. "In off" is another meaningless archaic euphemism some bloke once pulled out of his arse.

To make this easier, think of the past tense. What is the past tense of going cushion first to get out of a snooker? What is the past tense of going in off?

He kicked.
      He scratched.

Specific words to describe specific actions.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        I'm sorry but kick means nothing to me, cushion first is what's it's always been described as
        Yes, it's a description rather than an action. Can't help but think you're missing the point a little...

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post

Except by numpties.
          And who's arguing for it to be used in snooker? You may provide evidence for your misunderstandings at your leisure.

To save your time and spare your blushes, my point is snooker players talk in vague euphemisms, many of which mean different things to different people. As the game internationalises, precise terminology becomes ever more important.

Ultimately, it is far more professional to have single words describing single actions, which are understood universally.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
            Another fine example. "In off" is another meaningless archaic euphemism some bloke once pulled out of his arse.

To make this easier, think of the past tense. What is the past tense of going cushion first to get out of a snooker? What is the past tense of going in off?

He kicked.
            He scratched.

Specific words to describe specific actions.
            vague euphemisms?

"in off" - meaningless? what? in two small simple words of single syllables that clearly and simply describes what happened to the ball. "the cue ball went in to the pocket off the red" simples
            "scratch" - a word that has no meaning related to describing the action that happened to the ball. But probably more related to the "some bloke playing US pool using he hand to do something to his arse" and no euphemism.

same with "kick" how is that directly related to the action of hitting the cushion before hitting the object ball?

precise terms - yeah right "scratch"?

yes I know US and proper English have differing words for the same item/action/etc; but please stop trying to force your inappropriate terms to our sport
            have a nice day!
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              well , what you're saying here is very strange .
              most of the greatst players (in the history of cue sport) came from UK.
              So, they do'nt talked dr Dave down.
              And they do know what deflection is .
              What they say is , each cue has its own deflection and each player is able to adjust his technique to that.
              Like what great S Davis or S Hendry did for many yrs.
              aren't you a little biased with your judgement here ??
              Lol. I love this guy!

Sorry, the language barrier has struck again mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                vague euphemisms?

"in off" - meaningless? what? in two small simple words of single syllables that clearly and simply describes what happened to the ball. "the cue ball went in to the pocket off the red" simples
                "scratch" - a word that has no meaning related to describing the action that happened to the ball. But probably more related to the "some bloke playing US pool using he hand to do something to his arse" and no euphemism.

same with "kick" how is that directly related to the action of hitting the cushion before hitting the object ball?

precise terms - yeah right "scratch"?

yes I know US and proper English have differing words for the same item/action/etc; but please stop trying to force your inappropriate terms to our sport
                have a nice day!
                Yet another who doesn't quite seem to grasp what's being said.

One thing I've noticed about cue sport players in this country: they ain't terribly bright. It's fair enough, i suppose: who bunks off from the pool hall to go to school?

Comment

oh I get what you are trying to say but you are not following your own words yourself!

you say why not have a simple word to describe an action, but why use words (such as scratch and kick) that do not themselves have any relation to the action, where many of the existing snooker terms do relate and describe what happened, in a simple manner.

I wish I has bunked off school for the snooker club; maybe then I would be on TV playing for ÂŁ8m/season prize fund; and not on this drivel thread, replying to someone who has just insulted the whole fraternity of people playing our favourite sport, many on this forum.

so........ euphemism!

have a nice day :biggrin:
                  Last edited by DeanH; 6 February 2016, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                    That's not fair tbh . There is not a thing about cue ball control and spin effects that good players of English billiards do not know .
                    I'm sorry but that is nonsense which i see all day every day. If you're only talking about billiards that may be correct, although i highly doubt it, but the vast majority of snooker and English pool players have no idea about the physics side of the game at all.

Go to your next league night and ask them how to measure deflection. Ask them to pot an unmakeable ball with throw. You'll get a lot of blank looks, even from very good players.

There's a good case to be made for not needing to know about physics, but to say most players know all about it is wrong IME.

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post

Except by numpties.
                      be careful bolton, after all he is trying to educate us snooker players we should be grateful , and you can take that to the bank lol
                      Last edited by golferson123; 6 February 2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        oh I get what you are trying to says but you are not following your own words yourself!

you say why not have a simple word to describe an action, but why use words (such as scratch and kick) that do not themselves have any relation to the action, where many of the existing snooker terms do relate and describe what happened, in a simple manner.

I wish I has bunked off school for the snooker club; maybe then I would be on TV playing for ÂŁ8m/season prize fund; and not on this drivel thread, replying to someone who has just insulted the whole of the people playing our favourite sport, many on the forum.

so........ euphemism!

have a nice day :biggrin:
                        Another problem with cue sports: its clientele. Anyway...

Nobody is saying the words used in snooker should be the same as those used in other cue sports.

Why use single words to describe single actions? Good question. Why does language evolve? Why don't we use smoke signals any more? Why not just grunt at each other (i suspect many around here still do lol).

Single words are easy to learn and understand. That's important. If snooker is to survive, it needs to modernise and become less "british".

30 million chinese players are not going to have a clue what "he can use left of centre striking to turn the ball over to create the potting angle" means, but they will quickly be able to learn what the word "throw" means.

Think about it.

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                          be careful bolton, after all he is trying to educate us snooker players we should be grateful lol
                          Again, some people need a LOT of educating, golfy. I'll not give up on you, son.

Comment

Lol. I love this guy!

Sorry, the language barrier has struck again mate.
                            you could always communicate with ramon in a different language, after all he's using english

Comment

I'm sorry but that is nonsense which i see all day every day. If you're only talking about billiards that may be correct, although i highly doubt it, but the vast majority of snooker and English pool players have no idea about the physics side of the game at all.

Go to your next league night and ask them how to measure deflection. Ask them to pot an unmakeable ball with throw. You'll get a lot of blank looks, even from very good players.

There's a good case to be made for not needing to know about physics, but to say most players know all about it is wrong IME.
                              So what do players using 13mm tips on laminated shafts trying to place balls into buckets know of deflection?
                              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Another problem with cue sports: its clientele. Anyway...
                                there you go again! tut tut tut

Nobody is saying the words used in snooker should be the same as those used in other cue sports.
                                sorry but from your posts it appears you are trying to do exactly that?

Why use single words to describe single actions? Good question. Why does language evolve? Why don't we use smoke signals any more? Why not just grunt at each other (i suspect many around here still do lol).
                                silly comment, sorry, translation for you; grunt grrrr grunt puttft

Single words are easy to learn and understand. That's important. If snooker is to survive, it needs to modernise and become less "british".
                                I don't think the words/terms used in the sport will either help or hinder the survival of snooker; which I believe is actually on the up, not fully recovered obviously but is on the way up definitely, internationally looks good
                                By the way, it is "British" the adjective for the people of Great Britain, so an initial capital please :biggrin:
                                and what is wrong with being British-sport? An American version would be better would it?

30 million chinese players are not going to have a clue what "he can use left of centre striking to turn the ball over to create the potting angle" means, but they will quickly be able to learn what the word "throw" means.
                                Anybody can learn anything, a term etc, but I am sure most Chinese snooker players are being taught by British or British trained coaches who probably never use the term "throw"
                                I want to throw-up! oh sorry er? oh yeah "up-chuck"

Think about it.
                                I think I wont just now thanks, watching some English Snooker on the TV....

have a nice day!

Comment

Working...
                                X