Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    Lol. I love this guy!

Sorry, the language barrier has struck again mate.

just wonder who's got to you?
    go catch a few hours sleep , Looks like u need it .
    Answer the question I asked in my prvs post whenever u're ready .
    Take ur time .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
      just wonder who's got to you?
      go catch a few hours sleep , Looks like u need it .
      Answer the question I asked in my prvs post whenever u're ready .
      Take ur time .
      ramon! its not worth it

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
        So what do players using 13mm tips on laminated shafts trying to place balls into buckets know of deflection?
        That it's a huge problem to many players but can be lessened through new technology, for example low deflection shafts?

Whether you were trying to make a point either way, or just trying to be smart: FAIL.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Exactly Dean, this blokes an absolute fool
          Yeah? What have i said that's incorrect? Proven, demonstrably incorrect. Find me the examples, and back it up with evidence. Off you popski.

Your problem, like many, is you don't know what you don't know. Mind you, it's hard to open your mind when you're only looking at what's beneath your own nose.

Comment

I'm sorry but that is nonsense which i see all day every day. If you're only talking about billiards that may be correct, although i highly doubt it, but the vast majority of snooker and English pool players have no idea about the physics side of the game at all.

Go to your next league night and ask them how to measure deflection. Ask them to pot an unmakeable ball with throw. You'll get a lot of blank looks, even from very good players.

There's a good case to be made for not needing to know about physics, but to say most players know all about it is wrong IME.

No I didn't mean snooker .....when I said English billiards , I meant just that ......the game of English billiards . You know , the one with only three balls (white yellow and red )

Your talking about about using proper terminology . But you are using terminology that only exists in American pool . SOME of The terminology we are talking about here was being used before American pool was being played .

The only term used in American pool that I can go along with is "draw ". Because you are infact drawing the ball back .

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
              ....and the casual abuse of international members having the courtesy to contribute to the forum constructively, in a language not their native one, is nothing but vile. that one i too found quite upsetting
              Lol. What? He didn't understand something, i said it got lost in translation somewhere, said i loved the guy and had a laugh about it.

Hardly hate crime of the century, but i suppose we were talking about deflection. Oh, the irony.

Comment

That it's a huge problem to many players but can be lessened through new technology, for example low deflection shafts?

Whether you were trying to make a point either way, or just trying to be smart: FAIL.
                No you tried to insinuate that snooker players knew nothing of deflection? The majority of snooker players do not play with lo deflection shafts, although products have been available for many years, I personally have only tried the accurate and wasn't impressed. We snooker players get to know our cues and have to adapt our shot taking account of deflection, can the same be said for the majority of big ball big pocket pool players, even with the deflection most balls will still go in, especially given the shorter distance the ball has to travel. Point made smartly enough for you?
                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                  you find posts on here quite upsetting?

Slight melodrama moment there, golfer me old china!

#noRacialSlurIntendedByUsingTermChina
                  Lol. Sanity at last. It's standard gruppenfuhrer protocol: lose argument, play race card.

Off to the reprogramming facilities we go.

Comment

Yeah? What have i said that's incorrect? Proven, demonstrably incorrect. Find me the examples, and back it up with evidence. Off you popski.

Your problem, like many, is you don't know what you don't know. Mind you, it's hard to open your mind when you're only looking at what's beneath your own nose.
                    I notice you didn't address the points brought up by Dean

Comment

Mr Big shot, i advise you to be a bit more friendly towards members on here, your tone is far too aggressive mate !!

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        can I ask tetricky & golferson, are you talking about Mr Big Shot not being a native English speaker? he is American and I am sure English is his first language; also I think lives in the UK currently.
                        As we have seen from his sometimes very good posts, he has a superb knowledge and usage of the written English language.

My issue with him is not him being American (even though he seems to have a chip about the British) but him saying we should all use simple words for a term, when the current terms are better suited than the words he is offering instead; and the words he offers have no clear link to the action being described; i.e. he was not following his own issue, ?
                        And it was his vernacular for pulling a term out of a body area and being a euphemism, when the current terms are not; it was him who insulted all cue sport players
                        It was his statement not to force terms on others; but he started the posts about using the "correct" term, etc.

If my replies come across as insulting to Americans, I apologise; will Mr Big apologies to the British and ALL cue sport players?

How anyone can conclude i am not british is beyond belief. And I had you down as one of the smarter ones...british people play other cue sports as well, you know, and we even may even have been brought up playing snooker.

As for your other points, you're still not grasping it. You're caught up with your in-built snooker snobbery, and cannot see what is actually being suggested. I'm tired of repeating myself so just go back and * carefully * re-read the thread.

Who knows, maybe instruction literature from pros in the future will be concise and unambiguous, without the need to guff it up with Shiite like "push-off" or "turn the red over with side".

Clearer instruction material? In snooker? Fancy!

Comment

It's not snooker snobbery, it's snooker terminology, it's tradition, it's our game ( snooker players as a whole not British) please use our language for our game, it's not a lot to ask, it keeps the tradition alive, there is enough of it getting tossed aside already.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                            ramon! its not worth it
                            yeah , i know golf,
                            to be honest , those players I mentioned in my previous post, won 13 world titles and about 65 ranking tournaments. ( and they do'nt know what deflection is )
                            I tried to find a player who was coached by Dr. Dave and won so many titles. I could'nt find a name .
                            I was hoping our dear an romantic friend can help me out with this matter .

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              No Dean i think they mean mr big balls having a pop at Ramon
                              I didn't have a pop at ramon. I did in another thread, which he deserved for trying to be a smart arse. Rather, i found him conflating, quite understandably as it turns out, Dr Dave with my derisory 'fat dave down the dog n duck' comment to be pretty amusing. It was merely a language thing.

No harm, no foul.

People who play the race card are about as pathetic as those who run to the hall monitor when they're not getting their own way IMO.

Comment

not American ha, must have got that impression from some other thread elsewhere; no offense

so why would an English person want to use American terms in the sport of snooker (even if the "international" aspect is taken into account as you have mentioned a few times).
                                I play other cue sports as well as snooker, snooker first love, play EN pool league, and play bar-billiards when I can
                                Even played English billiards in the past.
                                Have played US pool but they have all gone with all the other snooker clubs that have closed down locally.
                                Now if I can find a carom tables, I would love to give that a go. And whilst learning that game I will pickup and learn and use their terms they use for that game, and not try to force snooker terms on carom players

built-in-snooker-snobbery, LOL good one.
                                my points were purely down to the use of English words and you wanting to use inaccurate "new" words where the existing words are already accurate to describe what the person wishes to convey.

Not American, ah whodathoughtit

ttfn
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X