Sorry guys another dominate eye post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
    place a piece a chalk on the cushion, step back and point your finger at it with both eyes open. now close one eye at a time, the one where your finger is still pointing at the chalk is your dominant eye.
    That doesn't work at all because which object I'm focusing on when both eyes are open (finger or chalk) the other object is double and transparent. It's called physiological diplopia and is quite normal apparently. It just seems to affect my accuracy when trying to pot balls.

Comment

Thanks, but I think it's a wee bit more complicated than that. I just spoke to an online optometrist and she said I have physiological diplopia. It doesn't affect my daily life but it does affect my snooker.
      An optometrist diagnosed you online and you're taking it as gospel...

You'll fit in well on here... plenty of snake oil x

Comment

I don't know what that comment means but it looks pretty stupid.

Yes, I took it as gospel because she described my symptoms to me exactly, then diagnosed me. I checked 'physiological diplopia' online and it's correct.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kudge View Post
          That doesn't work at all because which object I'm focusing on when both eyes are open (finger or chalk) the other object is double and transparent. It's called physiological diplopia and is quite normal apparently. It just seems to affect my accuracy when trying to pot balls.
          Are you saying whatever you look at in every day life you see 2 of them ?

Comment

If I'm not focusing directly on that particular object, yes. Think of it this way - if I hold each index finger up, one in front of the other, when I focus on one of them, the other one is double and transparent. It's quite normal apparently but it's harder (I think) to pot balls. I'm thinking of buying a cheap eye patch to wear over either eye, because if I cover either eye, the problem isn't there anymore. Sorry if I haven't explained it very clearly but that's what it is.

Comment

I don't know what that comment means but it looks pretty stupid.
              It means you're easily satisfied my friend. It's not so much a dig at you, more the tenor of most people on the forum... They come on looking for quick fixes and silver bullets as to how they can improve and this dominant eye nonsense is right at the top of it

Things like "I'd be a century break player if only I knew which eye to look out of... Absolute crap"

Yes, I took it as gospel because she described my symptoms to me exactly, then diagnosed me. I checked 'physiological diplopia' online and it's correct.
              You're at a disadvantage here... Until boxing day 2014 when I ended it, I was in an 8 year relationship with a girl whose mother was the consulting ophthalmologist at the Meriden hospital in Coventry... People who 'diagnose' themselves over the internet was a subject she brought up often... The absolute cow who spawned that colossal nightmare of a partner

Comment

So are you allowed to drive then ? Sounds a bit dangerous!

Comment

Re: Your ex and her mother - oh very dear haha.

I'm not trying to make excuses as I've only just started practising the game. I know how very hard it is as I've watched all my life. Damned addictive and satisfying though, especially when you make even a small break of two or three consecutive pots, which all I'm doing at the moment. I started really cos my mate where I used to work chose me a Peradon 2-piece Lazer cue as my leaving present. I either practise with him or on my own.

Comment

Yeah I've been driving since 1997 with no problems. Like I said, it's apparently a common condition which doesn't normally affect people's daily lives.

Comment

I know there's a LOT more to being able to pot balls than just line of sight, etc. I for example have told that I tend to jab a the cue ball instead of having a nice, smooth action. I always follow through but need to be a lot smoother. Apart from that, I think I'm doing quite well.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kudge View Post
                        If I'm not focusing directly on that particular object, yes. Think of it this way - if I hold each index finger up, one in front of the other, when I focus on one of them, the other one is double and transparent. It's quite normal apparently but it's harder (I think) to pot balls. I'm thinking of buying a cheap eye patch to wear over either eye, because if I cover either eye, the problem isn't there anymore. Sorry if I haven't explained it very clearly but that's what it is.
                        Eye patch? Do you really want to be known as pirate potter?
                        Seriously, this is snooker, not rifle shooting. One needs 3d perspective.

Comment

Practice trumps everything, there really is no substitute...

There's lots of decent advice on here, dude... Just getting harder and harder to sift through it all.

Each time a previous point gets regurgitated, there's often new and unnecessary sleights on what was once decent advice.

Comment

I know there's a LOT more to being able to pot balls than just line of sight, etc. I for example have told that I tend to jab a the cue ball instead of having a nice, smooth action. I always follow through but need to be a lot smoother. Apart from that, I think I'm doing quite well.
                            A solid stance is more important in my opinion.

Comment

I think we still have that perspective with one eye closed. It's just that the field of vision is reduced.

Comment

Surely each aspect is of equal importance. Straight cueing, stance, grip, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X