No announcement yet.

Sorry guys another dominate eye post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stance is something that even a beginner should be able to master... The grip and cueing is where the development comes.

Comment

A beginner should be able to master all the basics - Walking into the shot, stance, grip, bridge and bridge arm, sighting. I'm a beginner and all the snooker tutorial websites I've been on say the same thing.

Comment

Well, they're wrong...

At my level (cough, arrogant, cough cough) I'd say the grip is the most important aspect of the cue action and determines more than a beginner or even an average player should be aware of.

The bridge... Well, there are several bridges and whilst a basic bridge can be mastered, the bridge changes from shot to shot depending on your cueball position and the desired position you which to gain on the next shot... again, not things a beginner should have nailed on.

The bridge arm... just stay comfortable and make sure the cue can come through straight... doesn't really need much coaching at all...

Sighting is a natural thing, no coaching required providing you can spot the Line of aim...

But then there's the stance... No excuse at all for a beginner to not learn the stance pretty quick.

Comment

So you're saying the snooker coaches that put advice and info online are wrong?

I'd say that as far as making basic pots is concerned, all of those things are equally important.

Yes, there are various kinds of bridges but I'm talking about the basic bridge to hit the white, full ball.

As far as sighting goes, it doesn't come naturally to everyone, that's why it's part of the snooker tutorials on the web.

Comment

So you're saying the snooker coaches that put advice and info online are wrong?
            Not necessarily wrong, more incomplete.

I'd say that as far as making basic pots is concerned, all of those things are equally important.
            I'd disagree

Yes, there are various kinds of bridges but I'm talking about the basic bridge to hit the white, full ball.
            If you're only aiming to do that, save yourself the time browsing for tips... My 9 year old girl picked that up on her own within about half an hour, lol

As far as sighting goes, it doesn't come naturally to everyone, that's why it's part of the snooker tutorials on the web.
            It really does. If you can't spot the line of the shot without help then you will have to learn it through repetition... It wouldn't translate from the written word.

You can gain tips from videos and articles online for sure... But a coach can only help you if he can watch your action and see any collateral damage from any change you make to the action.

It's not a case of 1+2=3

Each change you make has the potential to introduce an inconsistency that needs correcting or adversely highlights a positive that you can promote.

Like I said before, get on the table... practice your bollocks off... All that really matters.

Comment

You say sighting comes naturally, but then that it's not a case of 1+2=3? That's the exact reason it doesn't always come naturally to everyone.

I wholeheartedly disagree on just practising one's bollocks off that matters. If a person starts practising badly and continues for a certain period of time, they will find it harder to get into good habits. That's why we start by potting simple, straightforward balls with the correct techniques, then move on from there.

We'll have to agree to disagree on these things. It was nice having the discussion though.

Comment

No, the cue action is not a case of 1+2=3

sighting is simple.

hit the cb on to the ob at the angle to make it go in the pocket.

rinse and repeat x

Comment

To be honest, you seem to have a lot of sense for a beginner.

Your approach is considered and you're clearly a smart chap.

Just try not to be blinkered by all you read online...

There is wiggle room in a technique... No two actions are alike for that reason.

Comment

Thanks for that. A lot of what I know comes from watching snooker for years. I know that no two players play exactly the same, and that one way doesn't work for evey person.

Example - O'Sullivan has a fairly large pause between back swing and follow through, whereas Jimmy White has virtually none.

Mark Selby sways when he's feathering up, then follows through quite motionless, whereas Shaun Murphy stays as still as possible throughout. That said, Murphy actually starts cueing up to the cue ball before he's even got his bridge hand in position.

For me, Steve Davis epitomised the "correct" technique, and that's what I'd like to try and do.

I know what you mean about hitting the object ball at the correct angle with the cue ball to pot it, and maybe it comes naturally to you but it doesn't to me. I still have to improve on where to hit the object ball to pot it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kudge View Post

I know what you mean about hitting the object ball at the correct angle with the cue ball to pot it, and maybe it comes naturally to you but it doesn't to me. I still have to improve on where to hit the object ball to pot it.
                      This cannot really be taught, it comes about by hours and hours of practice. If you miss a pot reset the balls and try again, your brain will work it out

Comment

as simple as that

Comment

That's what I do when I'm practising by myself. I put the colours on their spots, then the red balls in a vertical line up the table in between. If I miss a pot, I put the ball back where it was and try again.

Like you say, it takes loads of practice to become consistently good, but there are quite a few tutorials that try and teach the correct angle using the ghost ball, quarter/half/three-quarter ball method, etc.

Comment

best way to learn angles is to pot the black off it's spot and keep shifting the angle everytime you pot 3 in a row.

same with pinks to corners and middles and blue to middles.

Comment

I like that one. It's simple but obviously effective. I'll just put my chalk on the table as a marker. Thanks! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Kudge View Post
                                Thanks for that. A lot of what I know comes from watching snooker for years. I know that no two players play exactly the same, and that one way doesn't work for evey person.

Example - O'Sullivan has a fairly large pause between back swing and follow through, whereas Jimmy White has virtually none.

Mark Selby sways when he's feathering up, then follows through quite motionless, whereas Shaun Murphy stays as still as possible throughout. That said, Murphy actually starts cueing up to the cue ball before he's even got his bridge hand in position.

For me, Steve Davis epitomised the "correct" technique, and that's what I'd like to try and do.

you already did (to realize that ).

It May be a good idea to follow the advice of a coach.
                                (You gonna have to give the top 16 a break. They need rest).

Comment

Working...
                                X