No announcement yet.

Help appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You get through the ball very well. Self confidence is key from here.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice. I've got it in my head that there's an element of my technique that's preventing me progressing when actually, as has been said, I just need to keep practicing the basics.

I'd never heard of two-way shots before. I suppose they could be interpreted as being a bit negative? But they actually sound like a crucial part of the game! Really interesting.

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
      IMO - Just concentrate on your game and achieving the best you can.
      Your technique is based on the classic style and there is nothing wrong with it.
      IF you listen to too many opinions your game will be screwed forever without progress.
      --
      RE; Coaches - Bad coaches have the tendency to correct too much to justify their own existence. Sometimes a good coach will say nothing.
      --
      I once received coaching (American Pool) - My coach got me to not think of two-way shots and I believed him.
      Then I hit the pro circuit and watched all the top pro's making two-way shots!
      Took me a whole f&%king year to forget the coaching principles that had been instilled into me...
      --
      Stick to your guns and have self-belief :snooker:

Comment

Cheers mate, that's always good to hear. Practice breeds confidence I guess so back to the table.

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        You get through the ball very well. Self confidence is key from here.

Comment

The other video has finally finished uploading so I may as well post it. A different session from a different angle. This wasn't long after my coaching session up at SWSA so was messing with my stance a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mti1...ature=youtu.be

Thanks again for all of the input, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally Posted by Marfling View Post
            Many thanks for the advice. I've got it in my head that there's an element of my technique that's preventing me progressing when actually, as has been said, I just need to keep practicing the basics.

I'd never heard of two-way shots before. I suppose they could be interpreted as being a bit negative? But they actually sound like a crucial part of the game! Really interesting.
            Two way shots exist in both snooker and American Pool. In this case I was referring to American pool in which two way shots / creativity is extremely necessary.
            ---
            I'm sure your game will develop soon enough whilst you are having fun and enjoy learning!
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Nice rear pause. As Shockerz says, I like a front pause and brief angle check; does it look 10/10. Most coaches advise this but it's up to the player. You hold the cue at the butt end; how long is your bridge to ball? I ask this as it's hard to tell from the video. A lot of coaches recommend a BtB of about 9 inches for increased accuracy, CB control and power. But again, this is a personal preference. Snooker is never one suit fits all.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                Nice rear pause. As Shockerz says, I like a front pause and brief angle check; does it look 10/10. Most coaches advise this but it's up to the player. You hold the cue at the butt end; how long is your bridge to ball? I ask this as it's hard to tell from the video. A lot of coaches recommend a BtB of about 9 inches for increased accuracy, CB control and power. But again, this is a personal preference. Snooker is never one suit fits all.
                I've always wondered what a standard way to measure the BtB is. I was told to roll the brown ball forwards so the back of it is above the brown spot, cue up to it and the 'V' of my bridge hand should be no more than an inch and a half inside the semi circle.
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  I've always wondered what a standard way to measure the BtB is. I was told to roll the brown ball forwards so the back of it is above the brown spot, cue up to it and the 'V' of my bridge hand should be no more than an inch and a half inside the semi circle.
                  Get a mate to measure from your bridge to the ball with a tape while your cueing in open space. I've brought mine down from over 11'' to around 9 now. Less chance of cueing across the ball, more CB control, improved accuracy and power for me.

Comment

Page 3 and the tape measure is out! Didn't take long
                    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                      Page 3 and the tape measure is out! Didn't take long
                      :biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Comment

I do hold the cue quite far back, I'd never noticed that before. I've just measured my length too, so to speak, and I think I'm around 11-12 inches, which does sound long. I'll double check that on the table though next I'm playing. I do sometimes feel as though I would benefit from being a little closer in. I might have a play around with that and see how it feels. Cheers Big Splash!

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post

Comment

Originally Posted by Marfling View Post
                          I do hold the cue quite far back, I'd never noticed that before. I've just measured my length too, so to speak, and I think I'm around 11-12 inches, which does sound long. I'll double check that on the table though next I'm playing. I do sometimes feel as though I would benefit from being a little closer in. I might have a play around with that and see how it feels. Cheers Big Splash!

.........just spat my tea over my laptop .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Martin I know you're just getting back into your snooker but did you play in a scratch event in Gloucester a month or so ago? You look familiar! I don't think there's a lot wrong with your action, just keep at it and put the practice in.
                            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                              .........just spat my tea over my laptop .
                              Ha! Apologies Neil! Perhaps I should have re-worded all of that reading it back.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                                Martin I know you're just getting back into your snooker but did you play in a scratch event in Gloucester a month or so ago? You look familiar! I don't think there's a lot wrong with your action, just keep at it and put the practice in.
                                I did mate! I had a really good lesson up there a couple of weeks before it and decided to give it a shot, for the experience more than anything. Are you one of the whipper snappers that bashed me up!?

I didn't make a mug of myself actually (which was the main objective!) and I came away thinking I should have got out of the group which surprised me.

Thanks for the note about my action too and well up for putting the practice in, so hopefully I'll see some progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X