Potting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
    When I was holding my cue more or less with just about an inch of butt showing at the back, the measurement at the 'V' of thumb and forefinger was a fraction over 28mm. Having moved my hand further up the butt, as per my earlier post, the measurement at this point is 26.5mm so not really any noticeable difference. the measurements have been taken with a digital caliper.
    Ok, not a massive difference then but 26mm is considered on the slim side compared to average. Ideal width depends on the size of your hands of course. Does cueing up the butt feel (Hendry style - lol) unnatural and/or does the cue feel a little heavy hitting (with your hand closer to the weight)? Mine doesn't but it's only 17oz. I can cue a shot 7ft up the table if I really stretch. At this point, my BtB is crazy, maybe 18 inches but it works. I wouldn't be able to do this and avoid using the rest if my cue was 55''.

I have a friend who I sold a renovated maple cue to, who is about the same height as you. It was 57''. Eventually, he went back to his old cue and I cut it, removing about 3 inches and then retapered, refinished and regrained it (ash). So it's 55'' now. He's very happy with it. The BP of the cue wasn't affected as it was shortened at the front. Off the top of my head, I think it was an old B&W cue. This is one route you could go if you feel that holding the cue where you do leads to it feeling a bit strange.

I've adjusted my grip (slightly more open), fingers and how I open them given I'm now up the pole, which is different to how one opens and closes if one is holding the end of the butt. Some players cannot hold up the pole and open and close with confidence, so they do need a specific length cue to match their arm-span, particularly if they naturally have a tighter grip. When they grip up the pole, they may pull the cue when closing the fingers. When we move up the pole we also lose the feel of the chamfer and that took a lot of getting used to. I know that Jimmy White used a cue with no chamfer so it can be done but I've always had the heel of the hand in contact with chamfer positioned up. So that's something that some players find difficult to accept as well.

How does it feel for you?

Note to self: I can't believe I'm trying to help someone called bluenose when our two rubbish clubs have business to conduct this season. :biggrin-new:
    Last edited by Big Splash!; 19 August 2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I've just been reading about Ray Reardon.

It seems that he used to play with a 56inch cue. I've been trying to find out how tall he is but haven't found anything yet. Anyone know?

Comment

It seems that he used to play with a 56inch cue. I've been trying to find out how tall he is but haven't found anything yet. Anyone know?
        From what I recall of Ray? He looked a tall guy? You maybe interested to know? I've just had a cue altered down to 54" (because of arthritic problems) Cue alts was done by Reg White (Hull) (Have you seen his work - superb) While I wait for him to manufacture me a custom version. I can't praise his craftsmanship & attention to detail enough. I've had less measurements taken at Austin Reed (though they did tend to get a little more intimate) Noticed that Reg has praise for his work on display from Murphy. Hell of a recommendation.
        Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Reardons' cue split at the end and he had to have it shortened by an inch or two and re-tapered. I have a photo of myself with Ray from 1977 and he looks to be about five foot ten to my six foot two.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. I think Hull is just a tad too far for me to deal with your cue man djax but thanks for the info.

Your reply vmax4steve is very interesting. If Ray is in fact about 5ft 10inches tall, that's one hell of a short cue for someone of that height don't you think. I'm only a shortie at 5ft 6inches!

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
              From what I recall of Ray? He looked a tall guy? You maybe interested to know? I've just had a cue altered down to 54" (because of arthritic problems) Cue alts was done by Reg White (Hull) (Have you seen his work - superb) While I wait for him to manufacture me a custom version. I can't praise his craftsmanship & attention to detail enough. I've had less measurements taken at Austin Reed (though they did tend to get a little more intimate) Noticed that Reg has praise for his work on display from Murphy. Hell of a recommendation.
              Reg Wright?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                Reg Wright?

Sorry, spell check taking over. Yes Reg Wright Cues (Hull) Goes under Hull, but in reality about 20 miles further east.
                Almost near the coast.
                Highest break to date? 1

Comment

Originally Posted by djax View Post
                  Sorry, spell check taking over. Yes Reg Wright Cues (Hull) Goes under Hull, but in reality about 20 miles further east.
                  Almost near the coast.
                  Replaced a joint on one of my cues. Top job.

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. I think Hull is just a tad too far for me to deal with your cue man djax but thanks for the info.

Your reply vmax4steve is very interesting. If Ray is in fact about 5ft 10inches tall, that's one hell of a short cue for someone of that height don't you think. I'm only a shortie at 5ft 6inches!
                    Doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm 6' and I'm only using 54-55'' of my 58'' cue. Ray used boxer stance that takes up an extra inch or two of wing span and thus cue. So Ray using a 56'' cue to me sounds spot on. I think we need to re-write the height/cue length ratio because I've heard a load of bollox for decades now, propagated not least by Parris, someone who doesn't even play snooker.

So here goes for non-boxer stance including foot-in-line, so that the grip hand forearm makes a 90 angle to the cue (right angled triangle):

6'8'' - 57'' cue
                    6'4'' - 56'' cue
                    6' - 55'' cue
                    5'8'' - 54'' cue
                    5'6'' - 53'' cue
                    5'2'' - 52'' cue
                    Last edited by Big Splash!; 24 August 2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

What a pile of shat

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        What a pile of shat
                        You beat me to it!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          What a pile of shat
                          Ok, let's open this out. Right folks, name ya stance, ya height, ya bridge to ball length, cue length and where you grip the cue, i.e. how much cue you use. I'd be especially interested to hear from the maxi makers and country players on TSF. Tom147, Pottr, INMB, Billisted.

I'll start - Foot on line, 8-9'', 6', 58'', 54-55''. To use more all of my 58'' cue, I'd have to increase my BtB by say 3 inches, from 8-9'' to 11-12''. Personally, I wouldn't wish to do this because I'd lose power, accuracy and cue ball control; it would be going back to playing specs I used some years ago. Ronnie advises a short BtB and I'm down with that.

I suspect there's a lot of folk out there using 59'' cues with a BtB of 12+ inches! Or with shorter BtBs and a forearm angle to the cue of 110 degrees!
                          Last edited by Big Splash!; 24 August 2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I'm 5ft 9ins. With a 56 1/2 inch cue. I use all of it! Lol. Not giving too much away, but I'm very very happy with that size cue. My cue is very light also. Barely 16oz! Not a problem at all. No boxer stance. Conflicts with shoulder on backswing if you are not careful.

Actually...I get so tired of hearing about this and that and no cueball sighting blah blah blah...that I've decided to write a book about how I have developed my OWN game.

A best seller??? Who knows...

In fact. How much would you pay for a book which offered a fresh approach and banished the need for relentless hours practising???
                            Last edited by inevermissblue; 24 August 2016, 09:30 PM.
                            Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                            https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                              I'm 5ft 9ins. With a 56 1/2 inch cue. I use all of it! Lol. Not giving too much away, but I'm very very happy with that size cue. My cue is very light also. Barely 16oz! Not a problem at all. No boxer stance. Conflicts with shoulder on backswing if you are not careful.

Actually...I get so tired of hearing about this and that and no cueball sighting blah blah blah...that I've decided to write a book about how I have developed my OWN game.

A best seller??? Who knows...

In fact. How much would you pay for a book which offered a fresh approach and banished the need for relentless hours practising???
                              £10; now get back on topic please, sir! I'm guessing your BtB is around 11'' then?

Comment

Probably from the cue groove to the tip.
                                Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
                                https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Working...
                                X