No announcement yet.

Wider Stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TD: sorry if I've misquoted you. I think you may have written foot on the shot line and I think I took foot in line from another source and put the two together. It was a few years ago. Good luck getting well. Glad of your input.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
      TD: sorry if I've misquoted you. I think you may have written foot on the shot line and I think I took foot in line from another source and put the two together. It was a few years ago. Good luck getting well. Glad of your input.
      Thank you Splash. The problem we have here is there are a lot of learning players who take everything we say as gospel and they run out and try everything just in case it adds 7 points to their game.

I have a player on another string right now who is worried about how to keep his sighting eye on the object ball while standing behind the shot as this is giving him eye strain. Well, no effing wonder if he's over-thinking that much.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Thank you Splash. The problem we have here is there are a lot of learning players who take everything we say as gospel and they run out and try everything just in case it adds 7 points to their game.

I have a player on another string right now who is worried about how to keep his sighting eye on the object ball while standing behind the shot as this is giving him eye strain. Well, no effing wonder if he's over-thinking that much.
        Great to see you back Terry, good luck with your recovery.

Comment

So, I took myself to the bugger table with the 3.25'' pockets and slow cloth that rolls at low pace; not an easy proposition. Set up wise. Sighting from the centre, tummy button or nose as TD would have it, 3ft back. Rt ft pointing out, Lt ft pointing the other way, symmetrical and about 8 inches wider stance than foot in line. Both feet at 45 degrees. Cue under the nipple, brushing the hip. Rt chin, Rt eye. Bent arm bridge, cueing over the middle finger. And................it was like old times. Stunning. Cleared the line-up no bother. And then did it with single stroke no feathering to see if I could still cue dead straight and make it look easy. Much more natural feeling and not tiring. Loads more power and the long potting was awesome. It just felt easy.

I later tried going back to foot in line, and it was horrible. Long potting was a struggle though break-building was ok. Tiring and felt un-natural.

I think I answered my question.

@TD, eye strain, looking at a ball, really? He must be staring it to death like he hates it to get eye strain. He doesn't hate it does he?
          Last edited by Big Splash!; 14 August 2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Happy it worked out for you Splasher, it's got to be better for your joints, and stability, if you are more comfortable.I thought I was over my blip ,started well with a sixty odd break with scattered reds, then it all went to hell.I put the balls away and just walked off the table, only the second time I have done that in four years of playing.I watched some county pool that was on, made me a bit happier about my cueing
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

many years ago I had a coaching session with a "Del Hill" trained coach, and he shocked me with this "foot along the line", i.e. toes points along the line; at the time I said "I cant do that as my knees will start hurting" anyway gave it a try and within a few shots my right knee was starting to ache, so I said to him that I will not be doing this toe along the line; he was a bit put out saying that it should be the best method.
              when I was trying it my whole body felt out of kilter and uncomfortable; of course I had gotten used to my body arrangement and stance etc; but this "along the line" was torture.
              The coach was generally a c**p coach; more interested in showing his play; I had had other coaching with others (Wayne Griffiths, Gavin York (CoachGavin)) and thought I knew what to expect and they came across much, much better and I actually learnt a lot from both sessions; but I was trying to find someone closer.
              I hope the foot/toe along the line of aim is not generally expounded as the way for players to use; foot ON the line yes, with the toes/foot pointing outwards for comfort. :biggrin:
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

INE, thankyou for that. It was more relief as well as happiness. I knew the bugger table was the test bed to see if it really worked. 60 break ain't too bad old bean, that's a frame winner sometimes. You still got it. Just the consistency I'm guessing? The concentration and zoning will return for you, I can feel it.

On a scale of 1-5, how happy does snooker make you feel on a good day? And on a bad day? Is there anything in life that is bugging you in the background? I got into a negative mindset which I'm trying to break now. And I became really annoyed with snooker for about a year. Went in with the wrong mindset and objectives and forgot about enjoying it, the reason I love the game.

Dean, yeah, two WS coaches and I gold coach I know recommend what you say.But for some, it's heresy to not play foot on the line. Like you found out, it's the luck of who you see about it.
                Last edited by Big Splash!; 14 August 2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                  So, I took myself to the bugger table with the 3.25'' pockets and slow cloth that rolls at low pace; not an easy proposition. Set up wise. Sighting from the centre, tummy button or nose as TD would have it, 3ft back. Rt ft pointing out, Lt ft pointing the other way, symmetrical and about 8 inches wider stance than foot in line. Both feet at 45 degrees. Cue under the nipple, brushing the hip. Rt chin, Rt eye. Bent arm bridge, cueing over the middle finger. And................it was like old times. Stunning. Cleared the line-up no bother. And then did it with single stroke no feathering to see if I could still cue dead straight and make it look easy. Much more natural feeling and not tiring. Loads more power and the long potting was awesome. It just felt easy.

I later tried going back to foot in line, and it was horrible. Long potting was a struggle though break-building was ok. Tiring and felt un-natural.

I think I answered my question.

@TD, eye strain, looking at a ball, really? He must be staring it to death like he hates it to get eye strain. He doesn't hate it does he?
                  You got more points than Aston Villa got last year lol.

Comment

The biggest thing that annoyed me the last two days was, over the past two or three weeks I thought I had cracked it, I was cueing the same all the time, so controlled with no effort,then this ,back to square one rubbish, grip tightening, throwing in a quick one with that slight snatch,doubting the line I have picked.
                    I have always had the thought of ,even if I'm playing rubbish I would still rather be playing than not , but today I didn't feel like that, I just had to walk away, I know learning things can be one step forwards and one back for a good while and I will just play through it, but boy it was a tough one today.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      many years ago I had a coaching session with a "Del Hill" trained coach, and he shocked me with this "foot along the line", i.e. toes points along the line; at the time I said "I cant do that as my knees will start hurting" anyway gave it a try and within a few shots my right knee was starting to ache, so I said to him that I will not be doing this toe along the line; he was a bit put out saying that it should be the best method.
                      when I was trying it my whole body felt out of kilter and uncomfortable; of course I had gotten used to my body arrangement and stance etc; but this "along the line" was torture.
                      The coach was generally a c**p coach; more interested in showing his play; I had had other coaching with others (Wayne Griffiths, Gavin York (CoachGavin)) and thought I knew what to expect and they came across much, much better and I actually learnt a lot from both sessions; but I was trying to find someone closer.
                      I hope the foot/toe along the line of aim is not generally expounded as the way for players to use; foot ON the line yes, with the toes/foot pointing outwards for comfort. :biggrin:
                      Ronnie doesn't point his toe down the line of the shot, neither does Judd, neither does Robbo. You'll be OK
                      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Wider Stance

don't worry I didn't take anything from that session forward. it was over 5yrs ago now

Does any pro point whole foot along the line?
                        Not that I have looked closely but to me they all have foot on line but angled out for comfort
                        Last edited by DeanH; 14 August 2016, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Stephen Hendry....
                          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Have a look at John Higgins it was him that made me try it.

Comment

Wider Stance

when I saw coach gavin (a year or two before the other chap) got me to widen my stance, move front left foot a bit further out than I had and it allowed my body to drop lower and have a more solid stance. been like it ever since

Comment

Wider Stance

maybe I'll have a look at some archive footage to see Hendry/Higgins back feet

Comment

Working...
                                X