Total clearance talk through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    Ok. I'll talk you through the first 5 shots just to give you an idea of what I mean. Watch the video and just have a look at my comments to give you some idea of the thought process.

1) Right, I'm trying to pot this red. Because it's over a long distance and the pot is hard, I'm just going to make sure I cue it well and get hold of the cue ball, and then I'll pick my next shot based on where I am on the black.

2) Right, I've finished pretty straight on the black here. I've got just enough angle to play a screw shot for the red into the same pocket, but I want to make sure I finish high on this red. It's no good being low, because then I'm going away from the black and I start moving the white around too much.

3) I've finished nicely on this red. I can now just roll it through for the black into the opposite pocket, but again, it's important I finish high on the black here, because I've already decided I'm going to play on that red on the bottom cushion.

4) I've finished perfectly on the black again here, I can now play for the red I wanted on the bottom cushion. Again, I have to make sure I leave a nice angle on this red, because I need to get back to the black after the red.

5) Nice angle on this red now. I'm not too concerned about where I leave myself on the black, but I absolutely must not leave myself low, because then I'll have to play a cannon, where I'll be trusting to luck, and at this stage, lots of reds pot and I don't want to trust to luck.

Hope that's interesting for you itsnot. I just thought his commentary didn't say anything other than the obvious shot in front of him.
    Your thoughts were interesting to me.

I still think if we could hear some thinking from players like yourself it would help the rest of us in not just practicing, but practicing the right things including the thinking.

I wonder how many players can hit all the shots but rarely get past the average level as they don;t think in a simple, logical fashion so they don't progress?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Shot selection and the thought process of break building is massive. I see countless threads on here about cue action and technique, but so many players could drastically improve even with exactly the same cue action as they have right now.
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Shot selection and the thought process of break building is massive. I see countless threads on here about cue action and technique, but so many players could drastically improve even with exactly the same cue action as they have right now.
        Certainly don't disagree. Same with all sports. Always used to enjoy watching Ian Rush at football years ago, always in the right position at the right time and most of the goals were simple. Other forwards would score tremendously talented goals as they didn't have the same positional awareness but made up for it with their incredible ability.

Now I'm just gonna walk the dog so will leave this question on here so I don't get slaughtered straight away........

Was the Hurricane's positional play less than average for his standing in the world but his recovery and potting power clouded that. Would he have to have made all those terrific pots if he had better positional play?

I'll be back in a while for the blood bath?

Comment

Ok. I'll talk you through the first 5 shots just to give you an idea of what I mean. Watch the video and just have a look at my comments to give you some idea of the thought process.

1) Right, I'm trying to pot this red. Because it's over a long distance and the pot is hard, I'm just going to make sure I cue it well and get hold of the cue ball, and then I'll pick my next shot based on where I am on the black.

2) Right, I've finished pretty straight on the black here. I've got just enough angle to play a screw shot for the red into the same pocket, but I want to make sure I finish high on this red. It's no good being low, because then I'm going away from the black and I start moving the white around too much.

3) I've finished nicely on this red. I can now just roll it through for the black into the opposite pocket, but again, it's important I finish high on the black here, because I've already decided I'm going to play on that red on the bottom cushion.

4) I've finished perfectly on the black again here, I can now play for the red I wanted on the bottom cushion. Again, I have to make sure I leave a nice angle on this red, because I need to get back to the black after the red.

5) Nice angle on this red now. I'm not too concerned about where I leave myself on the black, but I absolutely must not leave myself low, because then I'll have to play a cannon, where I'll be trusting to luck, and at this stage, lots of reds pot and I don't want to trust to luck.

Hope that's interesting for you itsnot. I just thought his commentary didn't say anything other than the obvious shot in front of him.
          Well I'm quite willing to admit when I'm wrong, and I totally misunderstood what you were on about Ted, I see what you mean. Infact I think I'm guilty of doing what I posted and because it's obvious to me he wants to finish high on the next red( for example) it didn't bother me that he didn't explain it, but as I said not everyone knows that kind of thing,so your comments are much better, sorry about that.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Thanks for that Markz,I have followed him. Pottr, great stuff, all you lack is a wee bit of confidence

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

I wonder how many players can hit all the shots but rarely get past the average level as they don;t think in a simple, logical fashion so they don't progress?
              I can play all the shots, just not in the right order
              Stuck on 64, with countless chances to beat it, i think i need someone on my shoulder explaining when i'm about to play the wrong shot !

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                Well I'm quite willing to admit when I'm wrong, and I totally misunderstood what you were on about Ted, I see what you mean. Infact I think I'm guilty of doing what I posted and because it's obvious to me he wants to finish high on the next red( for example) it didn't bother me that he didn't explain it, but as I said not everyone knows that kind of thing,so your comments are much better, sorry about that.
                No worries mate. Maybe I just didn't make my point very well initially.

Of course, there's also a lot more to it than my comments above, and in his break there are a few things I would have done differently in terms of shot selection.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  Stuck on 64, with countless chances to beat it, i think i need someone on my shoulder explaining when i'm about to play the wrong shot !
                  You can't beat an Eric and Ernie quote, Mr Preview

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    You can't beat an Eric and Ernie quote, Mr Preview
                    Aye .....

Comment

there are a few things I would have done differently in terms of shot selection.
                      That's a good point actually. There's many ways to achieve the same result, nice to see different approaches to the same set of balls.

Comment

Maybe it's your cue?

Comment

Is it normally the wrong shot that it breaks down, missing an easy shot or getting out of position and making the next pot harder?

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
                            Maybe it's your cue?
                            Iv'e tried a lot

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            Is it normally the wrong shot that it breaks down, missing an easy shot or getting out of position and making the next pot harder?
                            I would say playing a pot thinking i can get to a certain spot but not getting even close to it ha ha ha, then next shot is a recovery pot which leads to a balls up

Comment

i enjoyed that, very nice clearance, those pockets look a little generous!

Comment

what do they measure across the drop?

Comment

Working...
                                X