Video/Kitchen Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    Yep. LED and boxer stance. It was hard for me in the past to use a more square on stance, but I'll give it another go if you think it would help.
    Worth a try but if it doesn't work after a few sessions, bin it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
      Worth a try but if it doesn't work after a few sessions, bin it.
      Thanks. I'm watching Trump v Selby right now. I noticed that Trump is opposite eye like me. Keeps his chin on the cue throughout, as was recommended I do. Would you classify his stance as boxer or square?

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
        Some players do - Gray and Drago, for example. C8B players very often use larger sized snooker cues.

As for length, standard is 58" for American pool cues. They are not longer than snooker cues. But you are dead wrong about power - cues are heavier and thicker because power shots are routine - 2.25cm balls are big and heavy, and snooker cues lack the grunt required to move them with control. That said, heftier cues are becoming less necessary as the game has evolved in recent years to be more precision based, through faster cloths and smaller pockets.

As for long backswing, watch melling!
        Is that cue really 58 inches? How do you get six to eight inches out the back and a twelve to fourteen inch bridge with a 58inch cue?
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Thanks. I'm watching Trump v Selby right now. I noticed that Trump is opposite eye like me. Keeps his chin on the cue throughout, as was recommended I do. Would you classify his stance as boxer or square?
          JT is anchor foot in line, other foot slightly fwd, knee pointing in. Because one foot if fwd, It's kind of boxer hybrid. It's a slight variation on Davis, except the other foot isn't pointing out but parallel to the anchor foot I think.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            Is that cue really 58 inches? How do you get six to eight inches out the back and a twelve to fourteen inch bridge with a 58inch cue?
            Who, melling? He plays with a stock predator Ikon 4 (?). He may play with a larger shaft than standard (30" rather than 29") but the cue is highly unlikely to be more than 59" in total.

His stroke is a thing of beauty though, isn't it? Shame he's not making more of an inroad in snooker - he's great to watch. Top bloke, too.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
              Who, melling? He plays with a stock predator Ikon 4 (?). He may play with a larger shaft than standard (30" rather than 29") but the cue is highly unlikely to be more than 59" in total.

His stroke is a thing of beauty though, isn't it? Shame he's not making more of an inroad in snooker - he's great to watch. Top bloke, too.
              Sorry Biggie, no the lad in the videos cue( Jdub).I will go and have a look at Melling, is that Chris Melling?
              Had a look at him on this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bNceN12kY both these players have a big over hang at the back end of the cue, yet they both have long bridges, it must just be a pool thing if these are standard size cues around the 58 inch mark. I must admit it's very enjoyable to watch although at 13.21 that's a bleedin disgrace that ball went in lol, he missed by at least six or seven inches at quite and angle yet it still dropped. Chris Melling is a top snooker player though, maybe not right at the top but still a quality player, is he right at the top of nine ball?
              Last edited by itsnoteasy; 9 October 2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Sorry Biggie, no the lad in the videos cue( Jdub).I will go and have a look at Melling, is that Chris Melling?
                Had a look at him on this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bNceN12kY both these players have a big over hang at the back end of the cue, yet they both have long bridges, it must just be a pool thing if these are standard size cues around the 58 inch mark. I must admit it's very enjoyable to watch although at 13.21 that's a bleedin disgrace that ball went in lol, he missed by at least six or seven inches at quite and angle yet it still dropped. Chris Melling is a top snooker player though, maybe not right at the top but still a quality player, is he right at the top of nine ball?
                I just measured my cue.

Butt (McDermott) - 30 1/8"
                Shaft -(Predator Z2) - 30 1/4"

That includes the joint and the tip.

Chris Melling is a solid 9 ball player, but would be a big underdog against some of the better 9 ball players. Of course, most of them would probably be even bigger underdogs against Melling in snooker.

Comment

I just measured my cue.

Chris Melling is a solid 9 ball player, but would be a big underdog against some of the better 9 ball players. Of course, most of them would probably be even bigger underdogs against Melling in snooker.
                  That makes more sense near enough 60 1/2 inches, I notice in pool folk seem to be just a bit higher on the shot( also with English pool a lot don't get right down) that would certainly make the room for the distances on the cue. What's your cue balanced at Jdub? Just wondering if they are balanced further up it might be more natural to have a bit more sticking out the back.
                  I only ask as my cue is 58 inches, I hold it near enough at the end and only have a ten inch bridge length and I have a slight kink in my bridge arm, maybe I have arms like an Orangutan .

Comment

That makes more sense near enough 60 1/2 inches, I notice in pool folk seem to be just a bit higher on the shot( also with English pool a lot don't get right down) that would certainly make the room for the distances on the cue. What's your cue balanced at Jdub? Just wondering if they are balanced further up it might be more natural to have a bit more sticking out the back.
                    I only ask as my cue is 58 inches, I hold it near enough at the end and only have a ten inch bridge length and I have a slight kink in my bridge arm, maybe I have arms like an Orangutan .
                    Pool tables sit a little lower than snooker tables, so that might be one of the reasons players stand taller at the table. Also, since the balls are bigger and heavier, pool players may feel that their stroke is restricted in a snooker stance.

My cue is balanced at 17.5" from the bottom.

Comment

Cheers Jdub, yes that would explain it, never thought of the tables being lower, good point. The ballance of the cues are pretty similar.

Comment

I just measured my cue.
                        Can I ask what the weight is as I'm currently making some snooker style 9 ball cues. The one I've nearly finished is 58 1/4 inches long, 12mm tip and weighs 19 oz's, one piece ash shaft btw.
                        The others are one piece beech shafts, which is similar to maple but a tad stiffer.
                        I like to experiment, get outside the mainstream and see how different things can turn out to be.

Comment

My snooker cue is a Trevor White maple 147cm long. My pool cue is a Predator P2 150cm long. So roughly 1 inch difference, 58 vs 59.
                          Occasionally I play some 9b comps and generally don't change anything when switching tables. I do have issue with my pool cue though. Over the years of playing snooker I have grown fond of 4 point contact technique. My pool cue has this black leather wrap. Years ago I used to like that, but not any more. It leaves bad dirt marks on my T shirts. I am considering ordering one of those custom snooker cues with over sized 11-12mm ferrule.

Comment

And vmax has his first customer!

Comment

Melling is, what, about top 60 as a snooker player? Probably about the same as a pool player - funny how that works...

Pool rankings are more difficult than snooker as it's less structured and many players don't travel and some only gamble. Fargorate is a way of assessing rankings but am not sure of its accuracy.

Matchroom events have stupidly big pockets and the tv lights and new cloths make pocket weight shots fall with ease. There was an even worse one later on, a two ball, that simply shouldn't have gone on any table, anywhere. Those balls would not be pocketed on club tables. That said, i saw a few balls fall in last night's final that really shouldn't have gone so it can happen at snooker, too.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                                Can I ask what the weight is as I'm currently making some snooker style 9 ball cues. The one I've nearly finished is 58 1/4 inches long, 12mm tip and weighs 19 oz's, one piece ash shaft btw.
                                The others are one piece beech shafts, which is similar to maple but a tad stiffer.
                                I like to experiment, get outside the mainstream and see how different things can turn out to be.
                                19oz is standard for pool cues, with a general range of 17-21. Production cues tend to have weight bolts so are easily adjustable. Custom cues I'm not sure about but most will be cored to reduce weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X