Which Pro is Most Textbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Pro is Most Textbook?

If you were teaching an absolute beginner, and could only recommend one player for them to try and emulate. Who it would be and why?

My vote would be for John Higgins. Not only is he one of the greatest players ever, I actually think his fundamentals are some of the most consistent and reliable under pressure.

Definitely Higgins, consistent to the point of boredom, pure class.

Comment

If there is any one to copy, for me is Ding Junhui. Perfect straight cue action

Comment

Higgins for all round skills - murphy for how he hits the ball.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          If there is any one to copy, for me is Ding Junhui. Perfect straight cue action
          Can't argue with that choice.

For the record, I do think there can be a lot of correct answers to the question.

Comment

Neil Robertson for me. Straight as an arrow cue action with loads of power. I put Ding as second only because copying his short cue action makes it difficult to generate power.

Comment

100 procent textbook cue action ? Stephen Lee . ( A genious in the art of cueing ).

tactical play / attacking / safety / ability to deal with pressure / consistency? Stephen Hendry - John Haggins.

Comment

Higgins.
                John that is :snooker:
                "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019
                http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

If its only one player and based on technique only, i would select shaun murphy. He cues absolutely straight and smooth delivery as compared to the rest. Stillness is good and when all combined, he is definitely one of the best long potters in the game throughout history.

Comment

One theory is that simple cue actions are easiest for a novice player to replicate.
                    Therefore, Steve Davis or Ding Junhui. Centre chin cueing, very few moving parts, no quirks, very simple.
                    Who is the student? Very young novice player or an adult novice player? Big difference in my opinion.
                    Younger players could conquer just about any technique style, even a very complex one like that of John Higgins. Older novice players will always have more tension in their arm than younger beginners. I'm not sure anything even slightly complex is for them. At least that's what I have observed over the years.
                    Last edited by ace man; 7 November 2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Higgins is not textbook from a technique point of view. Davis all day long. However, in the modern game, if teaching a beginner to emulate a player I would pick Ding.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                        Higgins is not textbook from a technique point of view. Davis all day long. However, in the modern game, if teaching a beginner to emulate a player I would pick Ding.
                        John Higgins not textbook? How so?

Comment

No one has mentioned Stephen Hendry , his name never seems to come up when the art of cueing is mentioned . Yet he was obviously hugely successful .

I'm not one for knowing who cues the best .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I paid for and had 2 hours coaching from the late Frank Callan about 13 years ago. We chatted for a further 2 hours (no charge for this) and among the countless questions I bombarded Frank with was this - was there a player he considered to have the perfect technique or at least, someone he considered the living embodiment to his line of thinking. I thought he would name one of his past or present "pupils" but he said - John Higgins.

Comment

Definitely Robertson and Ding, can't go wrong with those two.

Comment

Working...
                              X