No announcement yet.

Still struggling with screwback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gripping too tight most common this will lift the tip, try building the power slowly keeping the grip loose. Don't worry too much about trying maximize the follow it can cause tension in the arm and grip, this will come naturally as a result of the cue speed so let the cue flow to the end of the stroke naturally. Generating cue speed requires relaxed muscles and the key to getting CB reaction is cue speed and contact point. One more thing is to make sure of the last look at the cue ball.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Slasher; 12 November 2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Bluenose .... Try holding the cue just between your first finger and thumb (like holding a straw or a sewing needle )

Put black on its spot with white 10 inches or so away from it . Now play the screw shot . It will feel weird because you are powerless do generate power . You only have the weight of the cue to move the White . It's amazing how far you can move the White like this .

I've seen this taught to young kids to give them a feeling of how the shot feels with the cue doing all the work .

Play the shot a few times and then start to move the cue up the fingers a little bit at a time until it's back up to the "v" of the hand .

Like I say , I've seen it taught to kids and seems to work great

Comment

Great responses, thanks very much chaps. I really appreciate the input. I will give all of the points a go on Tuesday and will report back.

Comment

You're probably playing some other shots also wrong but the screw shot is the easiest one to see that something's not good. There are various things that can make the difference, for example quality of the cue you're playing with or type, condition and age of the clotch on which are you playing but I think your biggest problem is in technique, especially in the stroke a.k.a. following through the cueball. In my cue sport beginnings, I had the same problem for quite some time and the good news is that you can make significant improvement but it takes time, practice and, most importmant, finding the exact source of the problem. Also, to be honest, I mostly play pool but the essence is the same.

The biggest challenge is to change something that you're doing for some time and you're used to. In other words, it's hard to change fundamentals even if you're doing them wrong so it's extremely importmant to locate the problem correctly and practice a lot.

In this specific case, firstly I think you need to understand the difference between screw shot and power screw shot. What I'm trying to say is that there is no need in punching the cueball, close and middle range shots can all be done with smooth cue action, power is least importmant in those kind of shots.

Secondly, you need to "restart" the brain and stop worrying everytime you see that you need to play screw shot as I learn that psychological aspect can have a lot to do with the performance of the shot, especially when you're afraid of one.

Thirdly, it is very importmant in the beginning that you concentrate on every part of the shot. Look the line, see where you need to hit the object ball, where you want to hit the cueball and look where you want to play the cueball. Then, get down on the shot, cue slowly back & forwards two or three times and then, when you feel that everything is set, accelerate through the cueball and stay on the shot for two or three seconds after as it's the easiest way to see where did the cue stopped ergo did you or did you not follow through correctly. I know this is all beginner stuff but you will be surprised how much you can improve if you learn the basics 100% correctly.

So, to sum up: clear the head, forget punching and stabbing into the cueball, low your bridge and DON'T lift up the cue, analyse next position, aim correctly, concentrate on the follow through, get ready and deliver the cue smoothly. I'm absolutely sure that, if you practice this correctly, you will learn the shot very soon!

And just one more thing. I saw that you were talking about loosing the grip, that you saw Mark Allen etc. etc. My advice is that you need to stop looking what professionals do and search what suits you the best. Someone prefers to hold the cue at the very end of the butt, someone not, same thing with grip... There are pros and cons for every of those things but the point is to find what makes you most comfortable, everything else is more struggle than anyting.

Comment

Originally Posted by adebisi10 View Post
            You're probably playing some other shots also wrong but the screw shot is the easiest one to see that something's not good. There are various things that can make the difference, for example quality of the cue you're playing with or type, condition and age of the clotch on which are you playing but I think your biggest problem is in technique, especially in the stroke a.k.a. following through the cueball. In my cue sport beginnings, I had the same problem for quite some time and the good news is that you can make significant improvement but it takes time, practice and, most importmant, finding the exact source of the problem. Also, to be honest, I mostly play pool but the essence is the same.

The biggest challenge is to change something that you're doing for some time and you're used to. In other words, it's hard to change fundamentals even if you're doing them wrong so it's extremely importmant to locate the problem correctly and practice a lot.

In this specific case, firstly I think you need to understand the difference between screw shot and power screw shot. What I'm trying to say is that there is no need in punching the cueball, close and middle range shots can all be done with smooth cue action, power is least importmant in those kind of shots.

Secondly, you need to "restart" the brain and stop worrying everytime you see that you need to play screw shot as I learn that psychological aspect can have a lot to do with the performance of the shot, especially when you're afraid of one.

Thirdly, it is very importmant in the beginning that you concentrate on every part of the shot. Look the line, see where you need to hit the object ball, where you want to hit the cueball and look where you want to play the cueball. Then, get down on the shot, cue slowly back & forwards two or three times and then, when you feel that everything is set, accelerate through the cueball and stay on the shot for two or three seconds after as it's the easiest way to see where did the cue stopped ergo did you or did you not follow through correctly. I know this is all beginner stuff but you will be surprised how much you can improve if you learn the basics 100% correctly.

So, to sum up: clear the head, forget punching and stabbing into the cueball, low your bridge and DON'T lift up the cue, analyse next position, aim correctly, concentrate on the follow through, get ready and deliver the cue smoothly. I'm absolutely sure that, if you practice this correctly, you will learn the shot very soon!

And just one more thing. I saw that you were talking about loosing the grip, that you saw Mark Allen etc. etc. My advice is that you need to stop looking what professionals do and search what suits you the best. Someone prefers to hold the cue at the very end of the butt, someone not, same thing with grip... There are pros and cons for every of those things but the point is to find what makes you most comfortable, everything else is more struggle than anyting.
            lol, good post.
            very informative .

Comment

Now you're being sarcastic or?

And sorry to everyone reading if I made some grammatical errors, it's not my native language so there could be some

Comment

I don't think he was being sarcastic, it was a good post. I disagree about looking at how the pros do it though. All the best players have a technique that is part theirs and part taken from watching the best in the game do their thing.

Comment

I agree, maybe I should have explained that little bit more. I was trying to say that the fundamentals needs to be based on what makes you feel good and later, when you are comfortable enough, you can look pros and try to find some improvements, that's all.

Comment

Now you're being sarcastic or?

And sorry to everyone reading if I made some grammatical errors, it's not my native language so there could be some
                    Why the hell do you think i was sarcastic my friend ??
                    Any reason for that ?
                    no , that was'nt.
                    It was a good post and i learned sumthing.
                    thanks.
                    looking forward to your future posts bud .

Comment

Everthing OK

Comment

Everthing OK
                        that's fine .

you made sum very good points . especially what u said regarding << Clear your head >> ?
                        The fact is playing the screw back shot makes no difference to playing any other shot. players do overcomplicated sometimes .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                          that's fine .

you made sum very good points . especially what u said regarding << Clear your head >> ?
                          The fact is playing the screw back shot makes no difference to playing any other shot. players do overcomplicated sometimes .
                          This is the truth.

Another little pointer for the OP. When you finally realise how easy it is to play a screw shot, and you can do it every time. That doesn't mean you have to play a screw shot on every. single. shot. but you probably will anyway It's like Spiderman trying to home his new found powers, use them for good, not evil.

Comment

Usually, when you learn how to play it, new problem will be that you screw too much

Comment

A really good informative post adebisi10 and very much appreciated.

With regards to my grip, I used to grip the cue with all of my fingers clasped around the butt, but not anymore, I mainly hold the butt very similar to Mark Allen and have been doing this for a about a month but only spotted Mark's grip during this latest tournament. I must say that it gives me a much better feel for my shots. I definitely make the mistake, all of the time, in thinking that to impart the necessary spin, I have to 'punch' or 'stab' the cue ball. I must 'clear this thought from my mind' When I have had a minute or so before my playing partner turns up, I try to pot the brown off its spot into the yellow pocket and screw the ball back off the cushion (to form a V) to get on the blue but, I usually just manage to get the first part of the 'V' and sometimes barely reach the cushion that I am playing from.

However, if I am playing the brown off its spot in a game and need to get up into the reds, I can do this 9 times out of 10 by hitting the cue ball at 5 o/c or 7 o/c (depending on which side of the table I am playing from) and the ball scoots up the middle of the table to the reds, goal achieved but not always with the accuracy that I need and I can never guarantee that I'm on an open red! Once again, when I am playing this shot, I do know that I am 'punching' or 'stabbing' the cue ball to get the result. What I can't seem to do is to play that same shot by using the cushions, I can never seem to get as close to the reds this way.

So, my first task is to eliminate this 'punching' and 'stabbing' action that I have. I will brainwash myself into constantly thinking 'smoooooothly' does it. Thanks again folks. Brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                              X