No announcement yet.

New Screw Back Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why this shot is singled out as being difficult, apart from the fear factor of a miscue or cloth rip.

Aim low on the cue ball and make sure your impact point doesn't lift on the final strike. In other words, don't chicken out.
    Relaxed arm and light grip on cue. Shot must be tension free.
    Keep still during and after the shot, particularly the head.
    Pause at final feather and then again at the end of a smooth, slow backswing.
    Accelerate the cue smoothly towards the white ball.
    Following through and stop. No recoil of tip or jab motion. Finish point is through the white ball and the cue stops at its forward most position.
    Popular tips include lowering the bridge hand and keeping the cue as parallel as possible, but these aren't strictly essential if you get the timing right.

No secret methods necessary, just practise the damn shot.
    Last edited by ghost121; 22 November 2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Physics is only for robots n stuff, not for humans,I honestly can't put down what I think of that, utterly gob smacked.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Has anyone ever actually witnessed someone ripping the cloth with a borked screw shot attempt? That seems to be one of those urban legends that everyone has heard of but nobody has actually seen, but are so sure it can happen. I can see the ferrule ripping into the cloth if it had a sharp edge and a very undersized tip on it so the brass could actually contact the cloth, but a leather tip?

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          are we still talking about snooker are having a physics lesson.

i'm sure when i am playing snooker the last thing on my mind is Newton's Law...Lol
          Snooker is physics, if you were to program a robot to play you would have to use these equations to do it.
          The point is if you understand what is happening it lets you focus on the mechanics that are relevant and not wasting your time on things that make absolutely no difference. Most other sports embrace new technologies and ways to understand the physics of sport to gain improvement, in snooker it seems the myths continue to be perpetuated.
          Last edited by Slasher; 22 November 2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
            Snooker is physics, if you were to program a robot to play you would have to use these equations to do it.
            The point is if you understand what is happening it lets you focus on the mechanics that are relevant and not wasting your time on things that make absolutely no difference. Most other sports embrace new technologies and ways to understand the physics of sport to gain improvement, in snooker it seems the myths continue to be perpetuated.
            What are these myths Slasher?

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
              I don't understand why this shot is singled out as being difficult, apart from the fear factor of a miscue or cloth rip.

Aim low on the cue ball and make sure your impact point doesn't lift on the final strike. In other words, don't chicken out.
              Relaxed arm and light grip on cue. Shot must be tension free.
              Keep still during and after the shot, particularly the head.
              Pause at final feather and then again at the end of a smooth, slow backswing.
              Accelerate the cue smoothly towards the white ball.
              Following through and stop. No recoil of tip or jab motion. Finish point is through the white ball and the cue stops at its forward most position.
              Popular tips include lowering the bridge hand and keeping the cue as parallel as possible, but these aren't strictly essential if you get the timing right.

No secret methods necessary, just practise the damn shot.
              Most do not have the technique to strike the cue ball accurately and the lower you go on the ball the more difficult it is, also generating the required cue speed for the big shots always causes tension in arm slowing the cue and in the grip pulling the cue off it's intended path that is the reason this and extreme top spin shots are a challenge for new players.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                Reminds me of Sheldon Cooper's 'Fun With Flags'

Once again something pure and simple made to look ddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp, innovative and perceptive.
                fun with flags!! classic lmao

Comment

I did not say you need a heavier cue to generate a lot of reaction but it will generate more, there is no getting around this scientific fact. Hendry had very accurate cueing and like Trump, Murphy etc he could strike the cue ball exactly as intended even with a lot of cue speed, even many pros struggle to generate high cue speed without over gripping the cue and losing accuracy on the cue ball. You need to come to terms with the fact that the cue ball does not care if it was struck by Ronnie O or Asimo, it makes no difference whatsoever.

The main parts are speed/mass/point of contact, the effects of tip hardness is slight as well as angle of attack but that is it. Ramon, you cannot break the physical laws no matter how hard you try especially not within 1/1000 of a second of contact.
                  And if you are really unconvinced I can show you the math, it's not hard to find as it is 400 years old after all and taught in elementary school.
                  What the video demonstrates clearly is that the grip is responsible for most cueing errors, if you contact that cue ball in the right spot you do not need a lot of speed to get a good reaction. Now, add a couple ounces of mass and ramp up the speed and you get a full table draw shot.
                  yes, there is.
                  Using a lighter cue / diff cue speed / diff timing in order to get the same result.

btw, I had a chat with CB . He said he does care whether he get striked by ROS or Asimo.
                  ROS striks very well , good timing and nice technique. which makes my work alot easier. ( as he said ).
                  AS for Asimo ? he may better off by playing golf !!

JUST SAYING !!

And i do agree with Newton . great guy . as well as your post in regards to him ( which was a very good post ).

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                    yes, there is.
                    Using a lighter cue / diff cue speed / diff timing in order to get the same result.

btw, I had a chat with CB . He said he does care whether he get striked by ROS or Asimo.
                    ROS striks very well , good timing and nice technique. which makes my work alot easier. ( as he said ).
                    AS for Asimo ? he may better off by playing golf !!

JUST SAYING !!

And i do agree with Newton . great guy . as well as your post in regards to him ( which was a very good post ).
                    Timing schmiming, timing is just the point along the stroke at which you expect to strike the ball usually at the peak of acceleration and it has zero effect on reaction.
                    Same speed same point and angle of contact and the heavier cue will get more reaction, I'm afraid this is not even debatable.
                    Question: If you were crossing the road would you rather be hit by a Smart car or a Mack truck?
                    Last edited by Slasher; 22 November 2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Timing schmiming, timing is just the point along the stroke at which you expect to strike the ball usually at the peak of acceleration and it has zero effect on reaction.
                      Same speed same point and angle of contact and the heavier cue will get more reaction, I'm afraid this is not even debatable.
                      Question: If you were crossing the road would you rather be hit by a Smart car or a Mack truck?
                      well, then I learned someting new from our conversation than. cheers.

as for your question, I prefer to hit by a Mack truck who is riding with just 1 km/h speed, than get hit by a Smart car with 120 km/h speed on his way . that's for suer.
                      which was my point in regards to cue speed and timing?

i guess, that's just me .

Comment

Could you list all these myths snooker players believe in please, it may help folk understand.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Could you list all these myths snooker players believe in please, it may help folk understand.
                          Saw my physics teacher in the snooker club, it was hilarious to watch he was useless lol.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                            Saw my physics teacher in the snooker club, it was hilarious to watch he was useless lol.
                            Obviously couldn't apply the first law of inertia? Lol.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

But at least he knew why he was useless

Comment

We have a sports teacher in the club who plays with his cue like a sword, the tip finished up around your eyes and he's fully standing when he's finished his stroke. Apparently he's great at all other sports so applies his thinking well but not to snooker; the shame of it is, I've offered to help him but he wants to sort it on his own......I've been going there 6 years.
                                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X