Elbow pointing out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elbow pointing out.

I'm a 25-30 standard break player , highest being 46 and im trying to improve my game to the next level , so I went and took a look at myself very closely , one thing I noted is that my elbow is not pointing stright up , its pointing way outwards. (2 o clock maybe)And also what i noticed on my backswing im sometimes a bit woobly (cause of the elbow)? Any coaching suggestions ?

Ps King is king , sorry for Ronnie tho :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQWUUGl8De0

Comment

On another note, lots of players who can play well regardless of few bad habits in thr technique.
      The important thing is, which position you are most comfortable with and allows you to deliver the cue stright and with no effort. imo.:snooker:

Comment

Good video , but didnt say how to fix the problem

Comment

I remember Cliff Thorburn's elbow used to stick out by a country mile and he didn't do too bad. He's doing an exhibition at our club tomorrow night so I'll see if it's the same. As long as the cue is going through in a straight line I guess the elbow sticking out isn't a big issue?

Comment

Elbow doesn't matter as long as the cue is consistently going through on a straight line over the whole range of shots. Cue along the baulk line to check or get a mate to video you from all angles. If it isn't going through straight, see a decent coach and get it sorted.

Comment

Originally Posted by birkirhlyns View Post
              Good video , but didnt say how to fix the problem
              Realy ? are you sure ??
              watch the video again and this time pay more attention to Those images as well as what he says, Please .

Comment

Frank Callan, regarded as the best coach ever, said he felt the position of the elbow didn't really matter (look at Mark Williams).

One other point to remember is that 90% of delivery problems originate in the backswing. What happens is if your backswing is crooked you might not consciously notice but your brain will register it and it will try and correct the problem during the more dynamic delivery which results in over -compensation.

To paraphrase Del Hill's theory, get your set-up to include 4 contact points for the cue, i.e. - bridge, chin, chest and grip. Once you have done that work on getting the backswing (and delivery) straight by cueing along the baulkline very slowly, building up the speed as you get it straighter. It helps to apply a bit of upward pressure with the grip hand during the backswing and delivery too to keep the cue on the chest.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Nice to see you posting again Terry. Hope you are feeling better.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
                    Nice to see you posting again Terry. Hope you are feeling better.
                    Thank you and I am. I have played in 2 tournaments so far this year and lost both my first matches 3-0. At my age I can't afford to take over a year off without even picking up a cue. I'm practicing every day now for a couple of hours and will be playing in a tournament later this month.

I start my practice with 10 long blues and when I first started this it was taking me over 25 attempts to pot the 10 balls. Lately it has been getting better with my best attempt as 13 attempts, which isn't too bad for an old guy.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Thank you and I am. I have played in 2 tournaments so far this year and lost both my first matches 3-0. At my age I can't afford to take over a year off without even picking up a cue. I'm practicing every day now for a couple of hours and will be playing in a tournament later this month.

I start my practice with 10 long blues and when I first started this it was taking me over 25 attempts to pot the 10 balls. Lately it has been getting better with my best attempt as 13 attempts, which isn't too bad for an old guy.
                      Great to see you back Terry Still much better than me. I average 5/10 long blues with stun, screw, top
                      Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

Originally Posted by Looter View Post
                        I remember Cliff Thorburn's elbow used to stick out by a country mile and he didn't do too bad. He's doing an exhibition at our club tomorrow night so I'll see if it's the same. As long as the cue is going through in a straight line I guess the elbow sticking out isn't a big issue?
                        How was the Cliff Thorburn exhibition?
                        Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

Thanks for the great answers/advice

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnington View Post
                            How was the Cliff Thorburn exhibition?
                            It was a good night, did some good trick shots at the end!

Comment

Originally Posted by Looter View Post
                              It was a good night, did some good trick shots at the end!
                              Nice! Does he still play to a high standard then?

Comment

Working...
                              X