Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice

Hi guys for the last few weeks I've been practicing on a Saturday for 2 hours at a time.im wondering how much practice you guys manage to fit in a week?i want to be at a good standard where I'm making better breaks as my current break is only about 10 -20.cheers.

I've been advised minimum 8 hours per week (4x 2hr sessions) to make decent progress, it's been more like 4-5 hours recently though
    Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

Not really about the number of hours but more about the quality. Needs to be properly structured. Some people just bash the balls about or do endless line-ups. If you've only got a few hours a week it's important to make the best use of that time. IMO of course.

Comment

As Bigmeek says its more about the quality of practice not the quantity. I now only play 10-13 hours per week but that is mainly games as I am on the way down as far as improving. My game is so up and down it doesn't make any difference to my game how much I practice but If you practice hard and take in all that your learning it will pay off.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
          Not really about the number of hours but more about the quality. Needs to be properly structured. Some people just bash the balls about or do endless line-ups. If you've only got a few hours a week it's important to make the best use of that time. IMO of course.

Very interesting big meek.what would be the best use of the time mate?maybe do afew lineups then have a frame or 2?Or anything else you could suggest to improve?

Comment

Originally Posted by audiandy View Post
            As Bigmeek says its more about the quality of practice not the quantity. I now only play 10-13 hours per week but that is mainly games as I am on the way down as far as improving. My game is so up and down it doesn't make any difference to my game how much I practice but If you practice hard and take in all that your learning it will pay off.
            Thanks audiandy.

Comment

get yourself a tuca

Comment

Originally Posted by Scottythegeordie View Post
                Very interesting big meek.what would be the best use of the time mate?maybe do afew lineups then have a frame or 2?Or anything else you could suggest to improve?
                Hi mate. I'm not really the right person to be giving advise. My standard sounds to be only marginally better than yours. I get a 20 most weeks but 30's are very few. Like you I have limited time to do practice routines. I've probably got about 4 hours a week. I also manage 2 frames a week in the league and participate regularly in the weekly Sunday nite handicap tournament.
                My regular practice routines are:-
                1) Clearing the colours.
                2) Three reds with blacks. (As per the Neil Maxman YouTube on Cue Ball Control. Think it's Number 80)
                If you think about it 3 reds with blacks is 24 and if you manage to run the colours as well its 51. Good enough standard to aim for.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWGPD7ZsnY
                Long straight diagonal blues is also worthwhile to check if your cueing straight. Wouldn't normally get more than 4 from 10.
                Last edited by Bigmeek; 19 February 2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                  Hi mate. I'm not really the right person to be giving advise. My standard sounds to be only marginally better than yours. I get a 20 most weeks but 30's are very few. Like you I have limited time to do practice routines. I've probably got about 4 hours a week. I also manage 2 frames a week in the league and participate regularly in the weekly Sunday nite handicap tournament.
                  My regular practice routines are:-
                  1) Clearing the colours.
                  2) Three reds with blacks. (As per the Neil Maxman YouTube on Cue Ball Control. Think it's Number 80)
                  If you think about it 3 reds with blacks is 24 and if you manage to run the colours as well its 51. Good enough standard to aim for.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWGPD7ZsnY
                  Long straight diagonal blues is also worthwhile to check if your cueing straight. Wouldn't normally get more than 4 from 10.
                  Cheers mate for your advice.sounds like a plan to do afew routines as you mention.I mention on another thread my long pots I'm knocking 9 out of 10 long pots in so pretty happy with them but the easier pots need looking at.

Comment

Also, don't underestimate the basic 15-red line-up; because the balls are in roughly the same position, it's the only way you can gauge you are improving - by trying to beat your current record
                    Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

Working...
                    X