Confidence and attitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence and attitude

Hi, I've got a problem with my attitude when playing. I get so frustrated when I miss a shot and either lose my temper or get really depressed about it. After this, I often just hit the ball and don't commit to the shot. It takes ages before I can convince myself that I need to be more positive and start to play better again. This happened to me on thursday and I was poor the whole day. So I'm asking for any help and advice anyone's got about staying positive and keeping these feelings in check. Thanks in advance.

Hi Scissors61

I believe u have 2 convince yourself that what's done is done & cannot be undone... Only then u can regroup & focus on the rest of the game, if u can pot everything, u'll be a machine but we're all just human, and u have to realise u're playing the game for joy first & to compete successfully, u have to stay positive & remain in a good mood.

When u're down at a shot, trust your judgement of the potting angle, stay still & deliver your cue in a straight smooth action... even when u miss, u'll know exactly whether u missed on the thinner or thicker side as long as u have that straight & smooth cue action and u'll be able to adapt in the next shot.

Just remember to enjoy the game whether u win or lose and hopefully u can have more wins than losses

I know what I'm saying sounds very simple but try it, it works well for a lot of ppl

Comment

Are you playing for money? Don't play under pressure and get some solo practice which will give you more confidence in a match.
      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by Scissors61
        Hi, I've got a problem with my attitude when playing. I get so frustrated when I miss a shot and either lose my temper or get really depressed about it. After this, I often just hit the ball and don't commit to the shot. It takes ages before I can convince myself that I need to be more positive and start to play better again. This happened to me on thursday and I was poor the whole day. So I'm asking for any help and advice anyone's got about staying positive and keeping these feelings in check. Thanks in advance.
        Hey mon, soons like yous needs a nice long coool smoke to relax dem feelins wanna buy some Ganja?

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have been enjoying myself more since reading this thread. I don't seem to be improving though, but I've only played on a full-size once since. I guess this'll come. I seem to feel more pressure to make breaks in matches with friends. We don't play for money, but I got nervous and messed up on 9 with the chance of a 16. In practice, I would have just potted the black and maybe carried on for a bit. I'll be playing on Friday, so I'll just relax and chill out. As long as I play okay, I'll win.
          Anyway, thanks for the help, looking forward to my next game.

And I think I'll pass thanks, Wity. I need to sort my head out for myself.

Comment

My mate had a problem with this.. whenever he missed an easy shot he used 2 scream with anguish and get upset and it would affect him alot. I have talked to him lately and he has calmed down.. as the great steve davis said.. play as it means nothing when it means everything... you should try take a more relaxed and calm approach to the game, it works best for evry1! Snooker is more of a mental game in my opinion.. just look at ronnie hes got all the talent but when his head is not right he will suffer big time

Comment

Originally Posted by imy147
              My mate had a problem with this.. whenever he missed an easy shot he used 2 scream with anguish and get upset and it would affect him alot. I have talked to him lately and he has calmed down.. as the great steve davis said.. play as it means nothing when it means everything... you should try take a more relaxed and calm approach to the game, it works best for evry1! Snooker is more of a mental game in my opinion.. just look at ronnie hes got all the talent but when his head is not right he will suffer big time
              Good post imy147 It's very true & when one shows his/her emotions, the opponent tends to pick on those and they even get a psychological advantage knowing that u're not strong in the head

Comment

Thanks again, imy147 and Sam147. I'm going to just enjoy playing tomorrow and see how I do. I find that if I put my full concentration into a shot, I usually get it. It isn't easy to maintain that concentration though. Can't wait now, I really want to get back to a table and play.

Comment

scissors61, i know exactly how you feel. whenever playing either pool or snooker i get frustrated when i miss a simple pot or position or safety etc. from experience it will mess up your game. i'm basically requotiong imy147 but relaxing and not expecting too much of yourself will help clear you up. i remember i was the best pool player at my school but in the semifinals of the school tournament i messed two safeties in the first rack. never recovered.......what a pity....hehe
                  screw it

http://90minutesandmore.blogspot.com

Comment

I get what you mean, man. I was playing a little while ago and just lost it and hit my cue with my hand. Hurt like hell and I couldn't hold the cue so tightly. The weird thing was, I started to play better as I wasn't expecting anything of myself. I just played as normal and wasn't annoyed when I missed. If I could keep up this attitude without resorting to pain, I should hopefully improve.
                    I'll be playing tomorrow again, I'll try to be happy and not expect too much of myself. Not good to lose like that in a tournament knowing you could have won it, at least I haven't had that happen, but I guess you forget these things.
                    Having said that, can Jimmy White forget the early 90's?

Thanks for the advice, It should be helpful.

Comment

it's easy for me to forget something minor like that.....much less so for jimmy white
                      hehe poor guy. but what a legend.....even my friends who dont take much notice of snooker/pool know who he is.....
                      hope you have a good game!
                      screw it

Comment

Originally Posted by Sam147
                        Good post imy147 It's very true & when one shows his/her emotions, the opponent tends to pick on those and they even get a psychological advantage knowing that u're not strong in the head
                        How true. Positive attidude and full control of one's emotions during the game is very important for a succesful player.
                        However, I am experiencing trouble transforming the shown negative feelings of my opponent to a positive effect on me. Moreover, a wildly cursing opponent disturbes me and spoils my fun playing him. Consequently my game gets worse, instead of better. Can anybody tell me how to deal with such problem?
                        Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

I won 4-0 yesterday. My friend was happy with his performance but I was poor. I didn't get annoyed, but there was nothing there anyway. My highest break was just 18, I was missing balls everywhere and I don't understand why. Could be my cue(seems to be permanently sticky), could be my stance or just my head again, can anyone help? I'm guessing not, but it's a little disheartening to go in with a positive attitude and still play awful.

I'm not sure how to feed off an angry opponent. Another friend of mine is often like this and all he mananges to make me feel is that I don't want to play with him, as he can say some pretty unkind things if I put forward a viewpoint he doesn't like. Thankfully, he's only like this at a snooker table.
                          I've sometimes noticed when someone playing me isn't doing well and getting upset, they tend to leave easy balls after a lot of missed shots. I guess the key is to capitalise on their mistakes and keep them off the table so they can't get their confidence back.

Comment

true......someone who's annoyed will be even more annoyed when he knows he has no chance of getting back at you and his game will just go straight down...
                            screw it

Comment

you have to pay attention to wat u did wrong take deep breaths and on your next shot line it up take yur time and cue threw

Comment

Working...
                              X