Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    Here we go!, you sure that CB stayed dead straight?.
    Ok, tell me what you saw.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      I reckon quite a few kicks are caused by hair. If the table fitters/cleaners, refs, players and everyone else that comes into contact with the game were all female, i wonder if there would be fewer kicks? I suspect so.
      Surely you mean there would be more ??

Comment

Good god, the denial is strong.

Hendry's ignorance of throw explains the phenomenon of kicks in snooker quite adroitly. Players that miss, or do not get the reaction off the cue ball that they were expecting, immediately call kick. This is not the case at all. They are making cueing errors, and putting traces of side on the ball, which leads to unexpected results after contact. IMO 90% of kicks are actually poor cueing - real kicks are caused by contaminants at the moment of impact (chalk, dust, fluff, hair etc) and are pretty rare.

I reckon quite a few kicks are caused by hair. If the table fitters/cleaners, refs, players and everyone else that comes into contact with the game were all female, i wonder if there would be fewer kicks? I suspect so.
        I knew I shouldn't have bothered.

It took a ton of side and a terrible contact for that ball to be thrown into the pocket, if it didn't, set it up and show us all how easy it is. You seriously think that top professional players cue so badly that they can put that much side on by mistake? How on earth do they pot so many long shots if they are always putting traces of side on the cue ball?

Comment

Ok, tell me what you saw.
          There is a very slight deviation of the cue ball as soon as it left his tip. Again, its a 5 o'clock hit , the same as Selby's, hit softly so the slight drag aids the shot too. And again, you need a lot of hours on the table to execute and understand shot, muscle memory is key on this one too..

And just to add, no pro would pot that striking the CB at 3 o'clock. DT just stating ""loads of side"" is no good to any player learning, he must know the actual shot surely..
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Snooker players do use traces of side for position - they can use side in various ways - if he cannot see the ball fully then this shot is called a soft swerve. shot.

However that is not all the full story - the thing is that throw he imparts here ever so slightly on contact effects the OB and I know it is also possible to straighten up a shot with side and make the pot for a ball that does not go in from the natural potting angle. Which could be what Mark Selby does here... therefore Mr Big Shot technically I do think has a point . Though he shows a distinct lack of patience with people when arguing his case.

There are ways of limiting the effects of side and throw- traces of side can be used. Less throw by using top and side or even by using backhand English as they say over the pond. I do think snooker players can learn a lot from pool players and visa versa.

Moving on...can a spinning object effect what it hits?

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post

It took a ton of side and a terrible contact for that ball to be thrown into the pocket, if it didn't, set it up and show us all how easy it is. You seriously think that top professional players cue so badly that they can put that much side on by mistake? How on earth do they pot so many long shots if they are always putting traces of side on the cue ball?
              You really shouldn't have bothered. 100% not a kick

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                You really shouldn't have bothered. 100% not a kick
                So why did he get the cue ball cleaned?

Comment

So why did he get the cue ball cleaned?
                  Try the shot yourself.
                  Slow drag shot hitting the ball roughly around 5 O clock and you'll see it works every time

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                    Snooker players do use traces of side for position - they can use side in various ways - if he cannot see the ball fully then this shot is called a soft swerve. shot.

However that is not all the full story - the thing is that throw he imparts here ever so slightly on contact effects the OB and I know it is also possible to straighten up a shot with side and make the pot for a ball that does not go in from the natural potting angle. Which could be what Mark Selby does here... therefore Mr Big Shot technically I do think has a point . Though he shows a distinct lack of patience with people when arguing his case.

There are ways of limiting the effects of side and throw- traces of side can be used. Less throw by using top and side or even by using backhand English as they say over the pond. I do think snooker players can learn a lot from pool players and visa versa.

Moving on...can a spinning object effect what it hits?

Nice post, Byrom.

I agree with your way of putting it - ""soft swerve"". I said ""hit softly at 5 o clock for slight drag effect to aid the shot and muscle memory is key"", so, similar, for me anyway..

I didn't think there was any kick on the KW shot either.

And regarding another post from me, re my shots on 3/4 and 1/2 ball blacks off the spot using side. I stay on my stick sighting those shots and the CB stays thick right up to the point of contact imo with those blacks and yes the blacks drop in the pocket 10 times out 10, if cueing and form is good.

Yes, Mr Big Shot needs to adjust his bad attitude, there is absolutely no need for it. I use to post on here a lot more 18 month or so back but I got fed up with the BS so I disappeared..

Lets carry on like this then keeping the debate cool
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

• this thread going really off track taking about Roy at first now kicks and cue ball reactions and stuff - for the benefit of relying to Mr Big shot I did some research on pool but did not really notice any shots but got a little reaction myself.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                        Try the shot yourself.
                        Slow drag shot hitting the ball roughly around 5 O clock and you'll see it works every time
                        So why did he get the cue ball cleaned then?

Comment

I've no idea. But it wasnt because he got a kick that's for sure. Like I said try it for yourself and you'll see.

Comment

Players get the cue ball cleaned all the time when they don't need to. A better question to ask would be, if he was playing to swerve around the impeding ball, why didn't he just play the swerve shot, with the cue jacked up?

The answer is, because he knew the reaction he'd get by spinning the cue ball.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                              Surely you mean there would be more ??
                              How on earth do you come to that conclusion?

Comment

What are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                X