Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other day I made a 1, 4, and a 7, then I put my cue away and conceded.

I haven't made my highest break yet.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      I have had a few 20's

More regular 8 and 16 breaks
      Gifted! No need to practice - get the right text books out and you will making the tons in no time ��

Comment

• Absolutely.....read a book on motor racing the other week. I feel eager to tell Lewis Hamilton where he is going wrong

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          The other day I made a 1, 4, and a 7, then I put my cue away and conceded.

I haven't made my highest break yet.
          Keep studying Jonny. Don't even need to hit the table

Comment

• I got 50 quid says I can beat Roy Chisholm at darts.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
              I got 50 quid says I can beat Roy Chisholm at darts.
              I have to wonder what Roy Chisholm thinks of us.

Comment

• Probably he makes a few quid on his book if this thread keeps on running ...and good luck to him he seems a nice old chap.

Anyway boxing has finished now Mikey Garcia just boxed Adrian Broner's head off so Im off to sleep now...sleeping on the left hand side ....or maybe the right hand side dunno really...

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                  I'm interested to know the highest breaks of the people on this thread who are creaming over the physics of said shots as opposed to the ones who have put the work in over years and just know what do do.

Don't be shy
                  Lol. And that proves the laws of physics break down on a snooker table, does it?

Only on a tiny, insignificant corner of cyber space, discussing a tiny, insignificant game, could knowledge be seen as a bad thing. Sad.

Comment

Keep studying Jonny. Don't even need to hit the table
                    If it's just table time that counts, how come there are so many snooker addicts who are still rubbish after 40 years of practise? Perhaps if they knew where they were going wrong...

Comment

I'm interested to know the highest breaks of the people on this thread who are creaming over the physics of said shots as opposed to the ones who have put the work in over years and just know what do do.

Don't be shy
                      25. 3 blacks and 4 reds. Left myself straight on the 4th red and should have played said shot or reverse screw of side cushion for position on black but was shaking like a leave because that red meant beating my previous high break of 24 and ended up just dollying it in.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        If it's just table time that counts, how come there are so many snooker addicts who are still rubbish after 40 years of practise? Perhaps if they knew where they were going wrong...
                        Because there're crap. Get on the table and experiment with side - it's great fun

Comment

• Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                          25. 3 blacks and 4 reds. Left myself straight on the 4th red and should have played said shot or reverse screw of side cushion for position on black but was shaking like a leave because that red meant beating my previous high break of 24 and ended up just dollying it in.
                          This clearly haunts you because you remember. I was only teasing about my highest break but I remember feeling this way when I made my first ton - I was fixated by numbers even on line up etc., and in normal games I seemed to keep breaking down on 80's more than a few times. In reality you should be happy but you are haunted by the what if's.

Someone once told me at your stage - Practice more on your own just with a few reds to start around the black spot try and clear four or five -keep doing it you will learn about the line of the shot and use of the cushions and side - keep using stun and follow to try and clear five reds in line in practice. You bring that into your game you will start making 30's and 40's. Then you get fixated with 50 lol but their are more routines to help you do this. All takes table time

I got told do it in Practice and you start to believe you can do it in a game - Eventually I made a few centuries in practice with the balls all just spread i just used to replace the colours if I missed one and carry on and if I missed a red I would put two back on in open play and try and clear up. - Anyway I started to do it eventually and I learned better fluidity and timing which reinforced the idea in my mind I could do it in a match if the opportunity arose. When it did I never felt nervous until the last ball - and that was a straight black off the cushion - hit it sweet a a nut just concentrating on staying still and pushing the cue through straight.

After this the weight lifted off my shoulders and I did not give a stuff about numbers. I just enjoyed the game.

Comment

• UPDATE:

Made a 51 break yesterday using the Approach Line System - that's third week in a row I've been testing it out with breaks so far of 68, 52, and 51. Not bad IMHO.

The beauty of this system is you can make slight tweaks to it in testing. I approach even more outside the ball than Roy does in his video and it seems to work nicely. In fact, I'm finding I'm potting a lot more balls where the white is off the cushion than ever now. Don't even look at bags now. Just 100% focus on OB and for me, it works!

Love this game...
                            Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

• Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
                              UPDATE:

Made a 51 break yesterday using the Approach Line System - that's third week in a row I've been testing it out with breaks so far of 68, 52, and 51. Not bad IMHO.

The beauty of this system is you can make slight tweaks to it in testing. I approach even more outside the ball than Roy does in his video and it seems to work nicely. In fact, I'm finding I'm potting a lot more balls where the white is off the cushion than ever now. Don't even look at bags now. Just 100% focus on OB and for me, it works!

Love this game...
                              Well done, whatever works for you. It appears you are putting the time in, in a structured way and sticking to a pre-shot routine that works for you.

the main reason for your improvement I suspect.

Comment

Well done, whatever works for you. It appears you are putting the time in, in a structured way and sticking to a pre-shot routine that works for you.

the main reason for your improvement I suspect.

I agree. I lost count of the little bits of trying this and that technique wise to keep me enthused. Some days/weeks are good you think - right I have got it I am not going to miss then suddenly you cant hit the broadside of a barn with a cows arse and a banjo stuck up it .... (making up a new saying there)

Everything does just come together with table time and practice. Working on technique yet trying to stay consistent is at times really frustrating because it works counter productive to your timing and pre shot routine when you are thinking about to many technical things which can stop you being fluid.

Also a snooker player is never happy. However beating targets drives you on and enthuses. I miss that bit personally. It is a good feeling - gets you addicted. If I hit a bad patch I tried everything and blamed the cue even - I like getting new cues just to keep me encouraged and I could keep new targets with different cues re-learning everything what I could do with a new cue lol. Sad eh?

Enjoyed it though. Get a buzz for learning the feel with a new great cue. Its addictive. I must be OCD because its easier and cheaper to just shake your head after a bad shot and look at the tip.
                                Last edited by Byrom; 30 July 2017, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X