Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Reggie...........making ......a .....BIG SPLASH...........what .........a..........MASTER BLASTER.........he is
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

• seems like a lively thread so heres a video on the kind of shots i may use side to turn a ball in.

cant really do this with the big pool balls cus they are far too heavy so pointless to mention.
      Last edited by j6uk; 18 August 2017, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Holy ****e, the thread is becoming comical now. Not once have I gone to my home table and played these shots, only do if they arise....
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

• All I want to see is the CB effecting an OB which then changes it's direction and an explanation of how that occurs and if it's repeatable. I agree, not too much to ask
          Last edited by Terry Davidson; 18 August 2017, 12:13 PM.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            seems like a lively thread so heres a video on the kind of shots i may use side to turn a ball in.

cant really do this with the big pool balls cus they are far too heavy so pointless to mention.
            Well done, J. That will help for sure..
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
              Fair enough you know a lot about the game.
              But imo you still have a lot to learn if you think you have to hit the correct angle on the OB to pot it.
              Every day is a school day mate
              I believe you have to hit one spot on the OB to pot it, although it's more of a very short line on the waistline of the OB to reflect the amount of error allowed by the size of the pocket. This is pure physics that there is one cueball contact point (BOB if you like) that will send the second sphere (OB) in a line to the pocket. Now if someone swears he can alter the path of an object ball by using side I just don't believe it but if he swears this is so then he should tell the whole world how he accomplishes this because in over 150yrs no billiards player has ever shown something like this and all this discussion is a result of people trying to examine down to the physics level 2 shiny spheres colliding and imagining the laws of physics have changed.

They haven't. Just ignore this string (which is WAY too long) and go out and enjoy your snooker and try and have the CB hit the OB at a spot directly opposite the pocket opening and don't worry about all this pfaff. If you happen to have to bend the cueball in order to hit the correct contact point so be it but there is 'throwing the ball into the pocket' as the commentators say.
              Last edited by Terry Davidson; 18 August 2017, 01:50 PM.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                All I want to see is the CB effecting an OB which then changes it's direction and an explanation of how that occurs and if it's repeatable. I agree, not to much to ask
                Thats a tricky vid to do though, Tel, is it not..
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

They haven't. Just ignore this string (which is WAY too long) and go out and enjoy your snooker and try and have the CB hit the OB at a spot directly opposite the pocket opening and don't worry about all this pfaff.
                  So Terry,

Your not going to show this thread to any of your learners . You'll be out of business for sure .
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                    Well done, J. That will help for sure..
                    Unfortunately the video shows swerving or slightly bending the CUE BALL in order to make a pot which wouldn't be pottable normally. What some people are saying on this strig j6 is that they can bend the OBJECT BALL path by putting side on the CB (transferred side or inducing a kick) and my thoughts are if this was at all possible we would have heard of it in the 150yrs or so people have been playing and experimenting with billiards.

I have yet to see a video where the OB is able to bend around an intervening ball and go into the pocket. As I'm 72yrs old I think I will be long dead before a video surfaces or one of these people on here will fake a video using chalk crumbled bits on the table or a table with a really bad roll.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Impossible without some help from a roll in the table or else some deflection material on the table which is invisible to the camera. I have never seen an OB swerve as a result of side on the CB. I have seen them change direction thousands of times due to a roll on the table or some dirt but never from side applied to the CB.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

So Terry,

Your not going to show this thread to any of your learners . You'll be out of business for sure .
                        I will show it to my students as an example of how much players can get screwed up over this game. An example of what not to do, or attempt to do with side.

Have you ever been in the balls and saw a shot which was perfect to continue the break but it's blocked by another red 1ft in front of it, say 1/4-ball in the way and you say to yourself 'I'll just use that handy-dandy technique I just read about on TSF and swerve that first red around the second red blocking the way by using side on the CB to induce some swerve and a kick and carry on with my break, whilst saying a hearty 'thank you' to Mr. B.S. and his crew'.

I don't think so, or at least I've never done it. If this was repeatable it would change the game forever and we could have a competition to see who could swerve the OB the most.
                        Last edited by Terry Davidson; 18 August 2017, 12:33 PM.
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

Unfortunately the video shows swerving or slightly bending the CUE BALL in order to make a pot which wouldn't be pottable normally. What some people are saying on this strig j6 is that they can bend the OBJECT BALL path by putting side on the CB (transferred side or inducing a kick) and my thoughts are if this was at all possible we would have heard of it in the 150yrs or so people have been playing and experimenting with billiards.

I have yet to see a video where the OB is able to bend around an intervening ball and go into the pocket. As I'm 72yrs old I think I will be long dead before a video surfaces or one of these people on here will fake a video using chalk crumbled bits on the table or a table with a really bad roll.
                          the pros/xpros mention turning balls in often on the box, when a player cant quite see enough of the ob to pot you will hear a commentator say the shot requires a touch of side not swerve but side to make the pot.
                          unintentional side is often the reason for missing a straightforward ball so surely intentional side can be used for potting. or should the correct terminology be: the reason why say ronnie missed it was cus he swerved it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            the pros/xpros mention turning balls in often on the box, when a player cant quite see enough of the ob to pot you will hear a commentator say the shot requires a touch of side not swerve but side to make the pot.
                            unintentional side is often the reason for missing a straightforward ball so surely intentional side can be used for potting. or should the correct terminology be: the reason why say ronnie missed it was cus he swerved it.
                            j6...that's not what is being talked about here. Let me set a simple scenario and see if you think you can do it and if so please tell me how because I have never seen this happen and I wouldn't know how to do it.

Scenario...you mis-hit a safety shot too thin and fluke a ball from a carom at the top end of the table and end up with the cueball going into and out of baulk and ending up directly behind the blue ball into the middle pocket and about 18" behind the blue but unfortunately there's another red ball blocking the blue ball so it will not go past that intervening red is a straight line and into the middle pocket. You can see the outer portion of the middle horn from the blue ball. So people on this string are saying that using side and slow pace they can bend the blue ball around the red and with a slight kick onto the inner edge of the middle horn and the induced side on the blue ball will drop it into the middle pocket as it catches the inner part of the horn. The blue ball has bent around the red and its path has been altered by perhaps 1/4" to 1/2" by induced side (like a mini-swerve).

This often happens with the black ball where there is a red between the black and the pocket blocking a direct pot on the black. I have never seen any player be able to bend the black ball around the blocking red but I am open to someone telling me how to bend an object ball using side, slow pace and an induced kick. If this was possible I figure the pros would be using it all the time.

Every player has used side in order to alter the path of the cueball and as the commentators say 'throw the object ball into the pocket', but the object ball still travels in a straight line, not bending into the pocket. I have seen an OB turn on a table with rolls or dirt on the table but I've never seen a player use this effect to his advantage. Perhaps the old billiards players with heavier balls and heavier cloth could do this using induced side but again I've never seen a write-up about it anywhere but on this string.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

• j6...perhaps me using the term 'swerve' is what's confusing however you know yourself if you put side on the cueball at slow pace the cueball will initially squirt out to the side opposite the side spin and then recover and come back on-line. This will mean the cueball is attacking the object ball at an angle other than straight from the cueball.

So rather than swerve perhaps I should have used 'bend'. I'm sure every player, good or bad, knows this little 'trick' and I have used it thousands of times and so have the pros on TV. It's part of the game, but in doing this I have never seen the object ball curve, have you?
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

I don't think so. Use blue ball, CB about 18" directly behind it and a red blocking the blue ball from hitting the inside of the middle jaw. Camera over middle bag showing all three balls. I don't know how to bend an object ball or I would post it myself.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X