Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post

for anyone who wants to watch it again....

Blimey. I thought you meant a different Wilson - it must be the bandages and the helmet, not to mention the dents in the walls.....

The thing with that is DT (grrrr) says kick and Hendry goes with it, and the CB certainly looks to grip the OB more than it should, but it will have gone a bit left due to the RHS, imho.
    I bet Tel's trying this shot right now and is also bashing his head against the wall

Comment

• Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
      Worth having a look again from 2:40, it is a bit special as comms say. Listen to Hendry say the ball would have missed without the kick. But as Mr Stark says, the OB will kick with extreme side and it does, to the left. Extreme right side = kick to the left, needs to be factored in.
      Allegedly kicks only straighten up cuts, but this one does seem to have a load more grip CB\OB grip and may throw (or whatever word we are using today) more than it should?

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
        I bet Tel's trying this shot right now and is also bashing his head against the wall
        He can have my crash helmet at the end of next week when I can take it off, not sure he would want the bandages though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
          He already said side is of no use unless combined with rubber. He also quoted Davis about not playing much side, so I doubt he uses it or can play it well. That's why he said shots like Kyren and Mr Stark's aren't much use. If he's attempting side xfer, he may be gone some time....:biggrin-new: It will be instructive to see if a pattern generates each time Kyron's shot is referenced by disappearance.
          Last edited by Little Reggie; 18 August 2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

He already said side is of no use unless combined with rubber. He also quoted Davis about not playing much side, so I doubt he uses it or can play it well. That's why he said shots like Kyren and Mr Stark's aren't much use. If he's attempting side xfer, he may be gone some time....:biggrin-new: It will be instructive to see if a pattern generates each time Kyron's shot is referenced by disappearance.
            Not true: there is a post about Thorne(?) and a few others using Helping Side - which is pretty much what we are talking about?

*Ducks and Covers

Comment

Surely there has to be a grading ceremony at the end for all survivors and a belt promotion for everyone?
              If there are any survivors that is. What fascinates me though, as a rubbish player who had a 25 break many many moons ago and never came close since, how can something that should be based on sound principles of physics divide a camp of such an array of accomplished players? You'd think this would be bread an butter and largely agreed upon. Physics are physics at the end of the day. As an engineer by trade this really baffles me.

Comment

• Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
                Not true: there is a post about Thorne(?) and a few others using Helping Side - which is pretty much what we are talking about?

*Ducks and Covers
                Yes, but Terry said Davis didn't use much side and Willie did and then he wrote, who has the best record?, that's what I was getting at. His implication being that side is only useful in limited circumstances. Sorry for any confusion. He is wrong anyway, running side on slowish cloths back in the 80s was tremendously useful; you either hit the top or bottom pretty hard or you used running side to get around angles. Neither was wrong back then, it was about the result. Davis did it his way, and Thorne another way. The difference in records is down to Thorne's ability to cope under pressure compared to Davis. Thorne was a great player and the insinuation Terry makes that Thorne's record wasn't as good as Davis due to use of side is ungentlemanly for a 'coach'. Thorne suffered problems with nerves that manifested in addictions that ruined his and other people's lives; a tragedy. Thorne's banter however is very much like an over-cooked trout resting in the fridge for many weeks. For that, he deserves to play shot after shot ad infinitum, plain ball, plain ball, plain ball for a million years in the after-life whilst also quoting odds of his own chances of the pot before, during and even after the shot post-reflection, being forced to listen to his own comms. Dante's 7th level indeed.
                Last edited by Little Reggie; 18 August 2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• It was that post, and maybe another one or two where I started to struggle: as he said that it worked....

I think he is the only Dissenter now, but I'm sure they were the Majority to begin with.

Comment

Yes, but Terry said Davis didn't use much side and Willie did and then he wrote, who has the best record?, that's what I was getting at. His implication being that side is only useful in limited circumstances. Sorry for any confusion. He is wrong anyway, running side on slowish cloths back in the 80s was tremendously useful; you either hit the top or bottom pretty hard or you used running side to get around angles. Neither was wrong back then, it was about the result. Davis did it his way, and Thorne another way. The difference in records is down to Thorne's ability to cope under pressure compared to Davis. Thorne was a great player and the insinuation Terry makes that Thorne's record wasn't as good as Davis due to use of side is ungentlemanly for a 'coach'. Thorne suffered problems with nerves that manifested in addictions that ruined his and other people's lives; a tragedy. Thorne's banter however is very much like an over-cooked trout resting in the fridge for many weeks. For that, he deserves to play shot after shot ad infinitum, plain ball, plain ball, plain ball for a million years in the after-life whilst also quoting odds of his own chances of the pot before, during and even after the shot post-reflection, being forced to listen to his own comms. Dante's 7th level indeed.
                    Some players that use side all the time( apparently) have pretty good records, this fella has won the odd ranker.
                    https://youtu.be/uiyzPMDmYgI
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
                      If there are any survivors that is. What fascinates me though, as a rubbish player who had a 25 break many many moons ago and never came close since, how can something that should be based on sound principles of physics divide a camp of such an array of accomplished players? You'd think this would be bread an butter and largely agreed upon. Physics are physics at the end of the day. As an engineer by trade this really baffles me.
                      Well, I'd say it should be expressed in mechanics rather than physics as the concepts are easier to understand and more intuitive (though equivalent of course). The problem you have is some people believe in side and some don't. It's like that. Side (haha) is a very divisive issue. Some will extol its virtues and love and use it with a passion and some can't get on with it for many a reason, thus hate it and survive without it. Both may do well but the very best can use side as needed. I don't use it much, preferring raw power for stun and screw as my manipulators but I do appreciate those who use it with finesse. I try to be broadminded about it but that's down to wisdom and whisky.

Comment

• The question is guys.

Did Wilson just play the swerve to try and hit the natural BOB to make the pot?.

IMO, Wilson didn't 100% think his 5 o'clock hit turned the OB in the pocket. He considered it was kick too hence the call to the ref to clean the CB. On slow pots the chances of kicks happen more often and when they do happen you can blatantly see the OB straighten up.

And guys, please stop poking fun at Terry. His a respected forum member and has helped many on here with hours and hours of posting. Do yourselves some favours and keep it more tasteful.

Nights,
                        t....
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

He will probably just say the same thing as Taylor & Hendry said in commentary. And they would all be wrong:biggrin-new:

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            Some players that use side all the time( apparently) have pretty good records, this fella has won the odd ranker.
                            I've read that before, and I'll watch the Mozart of Snooker, which I have downloaded tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              The question is guys.

Did Wilson just play the swerve to try and hit the natural BOB to make the pot?.

IMO, Wilson didn't 100% think his 5 o'clock hit turned the OB in the pocket. He considered it was kick too hence the call to the ref to clean the CB. On slow pots the chances of kicks happen more often and when they do happen you can blatantly see the OB straighten up.

And guys, please stop poking fun at Terry. His a respected forum member and has helped many on here with hours and hours of posting. Do yourselves some favours and keep it more tasteful.

Nights,
                              t....
                              Yep to that: and ask BS on his Youtube Chanel...n

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post

Nights,
                                t....
                                couldn't agree more, well said

Comment

Working...
                                X