Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    Would you please post the number of the post that's in. I watched the Barry Stark video and I only saw him bending around an intervening ball and not curving the blue ball into the pocket. He hit the blue on BOB by curling the cueball and he had to do it at slow pace in order for the RH side to take in time. Any harder and he would have had to put on a lot more side.
    That's nonsense, Barry Stark does not bend the CB around the red at all, he's far too close for that and he hits it very gently. He plays the shot with R hand side to 'kick' the blue in his words at 7:45. The side xfers and kicks the OB ball in the opposite direction to the side: R hand side to kick the OB left. and what's with the curving the blue ball thing, he doesn't say this at all. Listen to his words carefully.

https://youtu.be/7L6P6jGfefI

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
      It looks to me as though the cueball doesn't leave the bed until it contacts the OB, and it's the top spin contact that actually lifts the CB off the table also making the OB jump. Isn't this just the natural consequence of colliding spinning balls? Whenever we see a super slow motion vid of ball contact, they always seem to be jumping around all over the place, we just don't see it in real time, no?

-
      But like I've said all along, transferred spin is so slight it doesn't make any difference. Look at the video again and you will see the 8-ball rotates about a 1/16 rotation while in the air and the 9-ball hardly rotates at all. However, these are power shots so anything can happen. If the cueball wasn't airborne then there must have been some freaky resistance to the OBs taking off airborne.

But you're right. Those hi-speed camera blow my mind. I saw on once of a pro potting a longer yellow ball from around the blue ball and he was using deep screw and the cueball bounced at least twice before it hit the yellow. I wonder if airborne cueball are one of the reasons for kicks?
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

But like I've said all along, transferred spin is so slight it doesn't make any difference. Look at the video again and you will see the 8-ball rotates about a 1/16 rotation while in the air and the 9-ball hardly rotates at all. However, these are power shots so anything can happen. If the cueball wasn't airborne then there must have been some freaky resistance to the OBs taking off airborne.

But you're right. Those hi-speed camera blow my mind. I saw on once of a pro potting a longer yellow ball from around the blue ball and he was using deep screw and the cueball bounced at least twice before it hit the yellow. I wonder if airborne cueball are one of the reasons for kicks?
        Hmm, I'd say the first example, the 4, rotates about 1/4 of a roll and is still fighting against it's natural forward roll as it drops. And I reckon it must be practically impossible to make two balls collide while maintaining 100% contact with the cloth, which makes it just another part of the equation always to be considered.

And yeah, those super slow-mo shots are incredible, open up a whole new cuesports universe.

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

For goodness sakes, c'mon guys. The freaking cueball BOUNCED into the OB thereby striking down on the OB and the amount of backspin imparted was still almost nil. That is what some call the 'gear effect'. Place the balls again and don't hit the ball hard enough to bounce it. Actually this is a valid shot in snooker to bounce the CB into the OB by using top spin and then the CB can jump over another ball in the way or into the middle of the pack like Ronnie did.
          I'm not saying it means anything, just saying you get to see back, stun( or slide) and forward roll all in the one shot, however slight and of no consequence , I just found it interesting.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
            That's nonsense, Barry Stark does not bend the CB around the red at all, he's far too close for that and he hits it very gently. He plays the shot with R hand side to 'kick' the blue in his words at 7:45. The side xfers and kicks the OB ball in the opposite direction to the side: R hand side to kick the OB left. and what's with the curving the blue ball thing, he doesn't say this at all. Listen to his words carefully.

https://youtu.be/7L6P6jGfefI
            But he says he puts on the RH side to navigate around the red initially and then it comes back to end up directly behind the blue. I slowed it down to .25speed and you can see the cueball returns to almost directly behind the blue and he did pot it to the left side of the middle pocket. Also note he hit the blue at pocket weight to allow the cueball to get behind the blue ball.
            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 19 August 2017, 09:47 PM.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• https://youtu.be/e5T1ZRPkeo0
              3:06
              Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              I don't remember seeing a Wilson video so what post # is it in? I saw the Selby video and he definitely hit BOB after curving the CB.

Comment

• Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                Hmm, I'd say the first example, the 4, rotates about 1/4 of a roll and is still fighting against it's natural forward roll as it drops. And I reckon it must be practically impossible to make two balls collide while maintaining 100% contact with the cloth, which makes it just another part of the equation always to be considered.

And yeah, those super slow-mo shots are incredible, open up a whole new cuesports universe.

-
                I agree, it looks like the 4-ball rotates in the air around 1/4 turn but note that was a dead in shot with top stuff and the cueball ended up to the left of the potting line so he might have gotten a kick. Whereas the 9-ball didn't rotate at all.

So 1/4 roll of transferred spin one one of the shots would be of no use if this were side spin 1/4 turn of an OB would be of no use whatsoever. As I said on an earlier post where is said I tried an experiment on the baulkline with a striped OB and using 3 and 9 o'clock position to get the maximum side I could I only ever saw very slight rotation of the OB and I had place 2 pieces of chalk on the side cushion to ensure I hit the OB straight. There certainly wasn't enough spin to alter the path of the OB though.

Then someone argued I didn't have to use the waistline of the cueball to get spin, which I know of course, but I wanted to get maximum spin on the cueball. There are some people who react like Trump does, if they agree with someone then it's true but if they disagree then it's all 'fake news'. Transferred side with enough spin to alter the direction of the OB is a pipe dream and even in Barry Stark's video you can see the cueball returning to the BOB position or almost there as he pots the blue to the left side of the pocket.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Found this , not really about kicks but on the third shot he puts chalk on the ob, you can't half hear the wrong contact on it and both balls leave the table.
                  https://youtu.be/4HE4dHi6Gh8
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                    I watched the Wilson shot (if it's the one at about near the end at 1:59 or so and I also slowed that down to .25speed and you can see he actually hits the middle red first and send it directly into the top pocket and also pots the shot he meant to get but that would have been a cannon off the middle red. This Wilson shot has no bearing on what we've been discussing.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

• For little reggie...I had to correct post #725 as I had a typo
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

• Explain this then Terry. Wilson kicks the ball in and you say side xfer isn't of consequence or important! At 3:00.

Comment

I watched the Wilson shot (if it's the one at about near the end at 1:59 or so and I also slowed that down to .25speed and you can see he actually hits the middle red first and send it directly into the top pocket and also pots the shot he meant to get but that would have been a cannon off the middle red. This Wilson shot has no bearing on what we've been discussing.
                          You are hard work Terry. The time is 3:06 as posted above

Comment

Explain this then Terry. Wilson kicks the ball in and you say side xfer isn't of consequence or important! At 3:00.
                            Slowed the shot down to .25speed and also paused it at the contact point and the cueball is almost perfectly behind the red from the pocket and in fact he actually over-cut the red a bit but to give you your due it appears as if he 'threw' the red into the right jaw. Every player uses this type of shot all the time but I still didn't see the red alter course but it may have had a slight gear effect as there was a slight cut at point of impact so one could argue there's either a gear effect which takes the object ball off at an angle or else whatever you mean by the term 'kick' which shouldn't be used in this context unless you really believe Wilson played a kick to pot the ball.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

Explain this then Terry. Wilson kicks the ball in and you say side xfer isn't of consequence or important! At 3:00.
                              If the OB had transferred side on it then it would have curved with that transferred LH side as he hit the cueball with RH. That OB went directly in a straight line to the pocket whereas if there was such a thing as transferred side it should have curved, however slightly, to the left. It wasn't transferred side that made that red ball but he did over-cook the side on the cueball a bit and almost missed the pot to the right. So even at the pro level you have to be careful using tons of side.
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                                Sorry, I missed that '3:06' the first time. I'll fall on my sword later as it's suppertime
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X