Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me( I could be way off here) his thinking could stem from billiards , apart from the walking in off line I don't know any of the old billiard players around here doing that. What those old boys don't know about side isn't worth knowing but billiards is a different game it's very much a half ball top and run and side game and even when playing a true half ball you are advised to play a trace of side as a lot of shots will still work with a slight thick half ball but not with a slight thin half ball,where as snooker has a lot more stun and screw and you can move the cue ball that way. Just an example is an old lad round here plays both billiards and snooker to a decent standard , well he used to play billiards to a very good standard, 300+ breaks so I have been told,he has a Mannock cue he use for billiards but says it's hopeless for snooker because of the way snookers played and he has a different cue for that, I'm guessing it's very whippy.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

His YouTube videos are recorded at my local con club on the same table I usually play on. Never seen him in there though

Comment

Hi Roy plays at greenbaize

Comment

his approach line thing is what the Americans/canadians would call applying back hand English.

By approaching the line of the shot like this it has the effect of not making the ball deviate from the line of aim when hitting on the left hand side of the white when hitting that shot right to left. If you did approach the line of the shot in the normal way you would be adding side. Which is why he says its important to approach the shot like this.

Players can also approach this shot in normal line way (centre ball) and just stun down on the white ball to make the required pot and angle also.

Because he approaches the line in this way he is not using side as such.

It does work both ways.

I might be wrong but that is my assessment.

Like C Smith said you can get little nuggets that help you in your game from lots of sources - and if they do they do if they don't then that is fine too I think he knows some stuff that can help players and its refreshing to here a different approach and conversation on these things.

What confused me was when he went to the other side of the ball and replicated the same shot he never cued on the opposite side of the white he still lined up on the same side and approached on the same side?.
          Last edited by Byrom; 23 July 2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
            his approach line thing is what the Americans/canadians would call applying back hand English.

By approaching the line of the shot like this it has the effect of not making the ball deviate from the line of aim when hitting on the left hand side of the white when hitting that shot right to left. If you did approach the line of the shot in the normal way you would be adding side. Which is why he says its important to approach the shot like this.

Players can also approach this shot in normal line way (centre ball) and just stun down on the white ball to make the required pot and angle also.

It does work both ways.

Like C Smith said you can get little nuggets that help you in your game from lots of sources - and if they do they do if they don't then that is fine too I think he knows some stuff that can help players and its refreshing to here a different approach and conversation on these things.

What confused me was when he went to the other side of the ball and replicated the same shot he never cued on the opposite side of the white he still lined up on the same side and approached on the same side?.
            Glad you brought this up, that part confused me as well. So is he playing every shot with left hand side or not?

Comment

Originally Posted by mcwinch59 View Post
              Hi Roy plays at greenbaize
              Haven't been up there in years. Prefer the con club on Ashley road. 4 tables in good nick for a pound an hour, good Guinness and only 2 min walk for me. You're not a sunseeker lad are ya?

Comment

Yes sunseeker l play at Boscombe con

Comment

Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
                  Glad you brought this up, that part confused me as well. So is he playing every shot with left hand side or not?
                  I don't know he seemed to turn his foot out perhaps twisting to find the line and seemed to hit it centre ball but I might be wrong with the camera angle it was hard to tell. I understood the first bit but did not get what he was doing on the opposite side with the same shot - someone should ask him more - maybe I should just give the old chap a few pounds and buy his book and have a look. Might find one or two useful nuggets. This bit kind of confused me though. it was not explained well enough on the video. Maybe he does hit left of centre on everything? Not sure. dunno -

Comment

I'm probably wrong on this ...but it doesn't look to me like he is approaching offline at all . Looks to me like his body and head is approaching on line . It looks like it's just his cue that is offline , which he corrects as he drops down .

I think basically he is saying to keep head online and not worry about the cue (just keep it to the right hand side of the line as long as tip is at white ) . Where as some player should try to get cue online on approach . And as you drop your head down the cue butt is then brought in line

Could be wrong but that's what I took from the vid

Comment

It does work both ways.

That's because he plays right handed, if you played left handed you would always line up to the other side. It's just awful to watch, you can see him fishing around with his cue once he's down looking for the line , he then plays centre ball anyway but says push the cue to the left, but I think he means push it straight through it just points to the left because that's the line.
                      It's more like a CTE or more precisely an ETC aiming system that the nine ballers use but I could be wrong maybe big shot will know , he knows a lot about pool aiming systems.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        That's because he plays right handed, if you played left handed you would always line up to the other side. It's just awful to watch, you can see him fishing around with his cue once he's down looking for the line , he then plays centre ball anyway but says push the cue to the left, but I think he means push it straight through it just points to the left because that's the line.
                        It's more like a CTE or more precisely an ETC aiming system that the nine ballers use but I could be wrong maybe big shot will know , he knows a lot about pool aiming systems.
                        When he was asked which side he walks in on he pointed to the left edge of the ball although when he now moved to the opposite side to play the same shot - he still said he walked in on the same left hand edge of OB why? Why does he not now walk in on the right edge of the ball (What does being right handed have to do with it?) i can understand him not cueing centre ball all the time - lots of player do this and there is a certain thing here he is explaining -his approach line potting system- where he looks like he is using back hand english - eg his cue is of line at the back but this is offset by the way he approaches the shot. I would have thought he would do the same thing the opposite way around on the other side but he does not. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with this and don't want to discredit someones system/ technical thing if I don't fully understand it - if it works for someone it works but basically I don't get what he means fully.

Comment

When he was asked which side he walks in on he pointed to the left edge of the ball although when he now moved to the opposite side to play the same shot - he still said he walked in on the same left hand edge of OB why? Why does he not now walk in on the right edge of the ball (What does being right handed have to do with it?) i can understand him not cueing centre ball all the time - lots of player do this and there is a certain thing here he is explaining -his approach line potting system- where he looks like he is using back hand english - eg his cue is of line at the back but this is offset by the way he approaches the shot. I would have thought he would do the same thing the opposite way around on the other side but he does not. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with this and don't want to discredit someones system/ technical thing if I don't fully understand it - if it works for someone it works but basically I don't get what he means fully.
                          It's hard for me to visualise as I'm left handed, but because his hips go to the left all the time as he's a right handed player ,his pivot is always to the right, so it doesn't matter where he is, he has to point to the left and pivot to the right.
                          This video describing CTE in pool ,from round 5.45 mark to around 8.15 describes what Roy is doing imo, it just a CTE half ball pivot.
                          https://youtu.be/ht3ypwuxLw8
                          Last edited by itsnoteasy; 23 July 2017, 03:43 PM.

Comment

It looks to me that he's worked out where to point the tip of his cue as he's getting down so that when he moves his hips to the side the butt of the cue drops onto the line of aim and the cue pivots in his bridge so that the tip addresses centre cue ball.
                            This is something that those who take the cue off the line as they get down might find very useful.
                            Trump pivots on the delivery stroke, which is something no coach can ever endorse, yet it works for him.
                            We don't all do it the same but the tip and the butt of the cue must be on the line of aim, or parallel to it when using side otherwise you're striking across the line.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                              It's hard for me to visualise as I'm left handed, but because his hips go to the left all the time as he's a right handed player ,his pivot is always to the right, so it doesn't matter where he is, he has to point to the left and pivot to the right.
                              This video describing CTE in pool ,from round 5.45 mark to around 8.15 describes what Roy is doing imo, it just a CTE half ball pivot.
                              https://youtu.be/ht3ypwuxLw8
                              That was hard to watch - visual sweeps and half ball pivots and all that language ... Ah yes I get you - so you think this approach line aiming you think is sort of like CTE for snooker - maybe he just stumbled onto the idea and made it his own years ago. I had a go at something like this before. There was a guy called John who makes cue cases that had a row with Mr BS over it. I found It did actually work well for certain shots.

Comment

I'm sure that I have posted similar above: but he is Preaching his Idiosyncracies. Within that there are some "Textbook" stuff, which when it comes down to it is people agreeing about their own Ididosyncracies as to how to get the CB to hit the OB in the right place to go in the pocket.....

That said there are some real truths ie backward rotation on a straight(ish) hit has the CB coming back to, and past impact etc - and that the cue has to go through the CB for the back-spin to be on the CB and......

More interesting "truths" are how the position of the feet shift the right hip and shoulders.

If some bod won the WC by doing a somersault before each shot, then people would copy it and advocate it

Comment

Working...
                                X