Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    If this was meant for me Roy, then I agree this technique will work for YOU and perhaps a few others like chrisg on here but for the majority of players the Joe Davis technique or today's form of it by Nic Barrow or Terry Griffiths seems to work more consistently. I have never seen a tournament player, pro or otherwise, using your technique although I assume there must be some around somewhere.
    Did you not buy Roy's book after reading a thread on here, where someone was singing Roy's praises after winning a tournament?

Comment

• Hi, for a dead straight pot I just look at the pocket that you are aiming, aim my cue tip at the centre of pocket, by doing that your cue travels in a straight line through cb with an UPWARD movement rather than cueing across cb. Note where object goes, then you can a just your vision on pocket. Hope this helps, Roy of Snooker Secrets.

Comment

• Hi, Terry, no it was not ment for you, but as you have made a statement regarding this technique of mine, how do you know that they do not use it. It is one of those things that are unseen, and how do you know the majority of players use the Joe Davis technique. I think you only assume that as well.Cheers Roy of Snooker Secrets.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
          Hi, for a dead straight pot I just look at the pocket that you are aiming, aim my cue tip at the centre of pocket, by doing that your cue travels in a straight line through cb with an UPWARD movement rather than cueing across cb. Note where object goes, then you can adjust your vision on pocket. Hope this helps, Roy of Snooker Secrets.
          'Note where the OB goes then adjust your vision on the pocket', no this doesn't help Roy because it's not only aiming that makes you miss so how would you know that intermittant movement makes you cue across the ball sometimes, like then you change your aiming point and don't move and it becomes even worse and starts to spiral out of control; and if I was playing a dead straight screw shot I wouldn't want my cue to travel upwards so that I play a stun shot instead now would I.
          I certainly get where you're coming from but sometimes the written word doesn't come across, unlike your cue
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• If you address cb as if you were playing a screw shot aiming at the back of the pocket you get a a screw reaction as your cue tip goes up and under thus producing a screw shot. All the best Roy of Snooker Secrets.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
              Did you not buy Roy's book after reading a thread on here, where someone was singing Roy's praises after winning a tournament?
              I seem to remember that was one amateur player who Roy was coaching at the time. I see almost every pro player on TV using some derivation of the Joe Davis method but I also agree that pure textbook form is not for everyone, but then again Roy's technique would not be for everyone either.

I found the problem with Roy's published book is there was only simple shots to the middle pocket shown. As for having your left foot almost on the line of aim, I assume you have twisted around somehow to get your head and eyes behind the shot.

I think what is needed is for Roy to publish another video on here (not sell another book) and show us what his technique does when potting power shots for instance and what he does when he is potting the pink from the yellow spot and a straight in black with power screw and side to come off the cushion for the next red. That would be helpful as I would like to see how one approaches the shot with Roy's technique. I think perhaps if Roy believes EVERYONE uses his method as stated above then he must have explained it poorly because I'm certain I don't think that way.
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I seem to remember that was one amateur player who Roy was coaching at the time. I see almost every pro player on TV using some derivation of the Joe Davis method but I also agree that pure textbook form is not for everyone, but then again Roy's technique would not be for everyone either.

I found the problem with Roy's published book is there was only simple shots to the middle pocket shown. As for having your left foot almost on the line of aim, I assume you have twisted around somehow to get your head and eyes behind the shot.

I think what is needed is for Roy to publish another video on here (not sell another book) and show us what his technique does when potting power shots for instance and what he does when he is potting the pink from the yellow spot and a straight in black with power screw and side to come off the cushion for the next red. That would be helpful as I would like to see how one approaches the shot with Roy's technique. I think perhaps if Roy believes EVERYONE uses his method as stated above then he must have explained it poorly because I'm certain I don't think that way.
                No Terry, I see the shot from the left to right naturally without having to twist!
                Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

• Are your legs crossed, because I can't picture this? If you're playing right handed and your left foot is on the aim line, then the tip of your cue would be about 12 inches right of the cue ball without twisting. I can't picture how it gets anywhere near the cueball unless you're leaning heavily to the side. Maybe i'm being stupid, but this has me confused

Comment

• Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                    Are your legs crossed, because I can't picture this? If you're playing right handed and your left foot is on the aim line, then the tip of your cue would be about 12 inches right of the cue ball without twisting. I can't picture how it gets anywhere near the cueball unless you're leaning heavily to the side. Maybe i'm being stupid, but this has me confused
                    The left leg isn't right on the line, but near enough! I basically step in with right, and it feels like I'm right on the point. As I have said before, this appears to be my natural vision line or vision centre, whatever you want to call it...

Comment

• Hi Terry, still anti Roy eh. Just to let you know that I coached your great countryman Cliff Thorburn WORLD CHAMPION. Or should I say helped him in his time of need. No one else was able to sort his problem out except me who found out what it was within 10 mins. He went on to qualify for the last 16 of the WORLD again. As for Joe Davis unbeaten World Champion for 20 years I played at the age of 17 in an exhibition match which he beat me 2-1 I had a break of 63 in the first frame, which he informed me that it was he who was giving the exhibition, but I must say that at that time he was giving 21 start. From there I courted his granddaughter so saw him many times off the table I learnt many things from him, which I must say again some of them are NOT for the game today. As for my book this was aimed at youngsters trying to improve there game which I have proved it has, that is why I have shown it in the most easiest of ways that I know how, as you say centre pockets. You must make things as EASY as possible to improve anyone. As for the left foot of a right hander in line with the shot you must be joking, this habit th a a lot of players use is the FIRST thing I correct. But again there is no correct way, you have to establish what is right for them.As for you thinking again that I think everyone uses my technique you must be joking. Last reply to your post if you think I have explained it poorly, have you ever thought YOU may have read it poorly or did not understand. Cheers Roy of Snooker Secrets.

Comment

• What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

If you're right handed, your right leg should be on the line of aim.

If it's not, then there's a greater margin for error when trying to deliver the cue straight.

Who the **** is Roy Chisholm anyway?

Comment

• Quite right, do you know if it is in line with the inside of the cue or the outside, also what are the other aspects that have to be taken into consideration, from your comment I don't think you have a clue. By the way if you don't know who I am by now, I shouldn't bother. All the best Roy of Snooker Secrets.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
                            Quite right, do you know if it is in line with the inside of the cue or the outside, also what are the other aspects that have to be taken into consideration, from your comment I don't think you have a clue. By the way if you don't know who I am by now, I shouldn't bother. All the best Roy of Snooker Secrets.
                            So, players 'who don't have a clue' but manage to compete successfully in tournaments and run centuries daily are using an incorrect technique according to Roy. Funny, Cliff has never mentioned all the valuable coaching you gave him before the world champs. He has mentioned Ray Reardon and John Spencer and even Paul Thornley and 'Fat Tony Lemay' but I've never heard of anyone mentioning a Roy Chisholm. Funny that.

I guess you're right Roy. I was prepared to admit, and I agree with, the idea that everyone cannot have the same technique and I configure my coaching to accept that but then again I know nothing and it was just pure dumb luck I played so well in the 80's. I wonder where you were as I haven't found your name anywhere in my reference material.

In addition, the left foot on the line of aim doesn't come from me, it comes from what appears to be your only fan on here, chrisg.
                            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 16 February 2018, 01:18 PM.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
                              The left leg isn't right on the line, but near enough! I basically step in with right, and it feels like I'm right on the point. As I have said before, this appears to be my natural vision line or vision centre, whatever you want to call it...
                              Would you please put up a photo or a short video taken from in front of the object ball so I can see what you're talking about as I'm having a very hard time trying to duplicate it. In fact a photo from the front and one from the back would work really well. Is your right foot around 12" or so outside the line of aim? If so, then you must be looking across the line of the cue rather than sighting it like a rifle.

Incidentally, Roy appears to disagree with you. But different strokes for different folks.
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

Would you please put up a photo or a short video taken from in front of the object ball so I can see what you're talking about as I'm having a very hard time trying to duplicate it. In fact a photo from the front and one from the back would work really well. Is your right foot around 12" or so outside the line of aim? If so, then you must be looking across the line of the cue rather than sighting it like a rifle.

Incidentally, Roy appears to disagree with you. But different strokes for different folks.
                                Terry, will try to put up a photo this weekend....a front view one...

Like you say, horses for courses...But if that's the way I see the shot, then that's the way I see the shot!

Comment

Working...
                                X