Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this kicking is not true. I am an expert. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      Ask him why the shot must be played very gently. According to his explanation the side kicks the red in so in theory you should be able to compensate your aiming to allow for the greater deflection, make an even thinner contact on the red so the faster spin kicks the red ball even more, yet you can't do this.
      (I've just started playing again in Jan this year, after having a 6x3 with 1/4 sized balls in the late 70's, so don't shout at me :wink

I believe that there are 3 things in play here: the deflection of the CB on contact; the effect of the side on the CB; and then the kick of the OB due to the sidespin.

My guess is:
      I'm not getting into the first, as I think this is more to do with the amount of side and how high\low the CB is struck; and quality of strike as anything.
      The lack of pace should minimise the second?
      I think my belief was wrong here as I thought pace reduced this kick*, but Roy says the opposite above.

*Slower means a longer contact period for the sidespin to take effect.

Comment

• [QUOTE=vmax4steve;934769]Many people, Barry Stark included, see the outcome and come to the wrong conclusion. The cue ball swerves very slightly when played with side at a low pace, you will see this if you play the cue ball along the cushion. You can't play this shot with any kind of power, ask yourself why, and again I ask you to play the cue ball along the cushion at a slow pace with side and watch it leave the cushion about a 1/4 of an inch and come back onto it within twelve inches.

Every time I play a low black or a blue off their spots going into the pack of reds I always aim for the far jaw when using pace and that is without using any side whatsoever

Comment

• I remember having a session with Ronnie, I had to pack in as every time he had a cut shot on he whipped out a bit of paper and a pencil and started writing down equations on how balls react when they collide. Pack it in Ron I said it's only a practice session,Jim, he replied, Jim how on earth, apple and pears, do you fink I won five world titles, gawd blimey love a duck, me old China, it weren't through talent and practice, I done did a four year physics degree done I,he then ripped his tip off with his teeth and went off to buy another cue, he's a bit of a strange one, if truth be told.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            I remember having a session with Ronnie, I had to pack in as every time he had a cut shot on he whipped out a bit of paper and a pencil and started writing down equations on how balls react when they collide. Pack it in Ron I said it's only a practice session,Jim, he replied, Jim how on earth, apple and pears, do you fink I won five world titles, gawd blimey love a duck, me old China, it weren't through talent and practice, I done did a four year physics degree done I,he then ripped his tip off with his teeth and went off to buy another cue, he's a bit of a strange one, if truth be told.
            It's like he is in the room!
            :biggrin:
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Many people, Barry Stark included, see the outcome and come to the wrong conclusion. The cue ball swerves very slightly when played with side at a low pace, you will see this if you play the cue ball along the cushion. You can't play this shot with any kind of power, ask yourself why, and again I ask you to play the cue ball along the cushion at a slow pace with side and watch it leave the cushion about a 1/4 of an inch and come back onto it within twelve inches.

That's all that's happening.
              I understand that playing at a slow pace the cue ball is swerving into the OB, however as in my example putting right hand side and aiming thicker should hit the OB thick and therefore miss the pot . But it's the opposite what happens it goes in and the cue ball deflects off more due to the thicker contact

Comment

• Aren't we now just talking about helping side?
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Of course he swerved it, why do you think shots like that can't be played any harder ? because if you played those shots any harder then the cue ball will swerve too late as it's a question of judging pace and swerve. If the side is transfering to the object ball then as long as the initial deflection is compensated for you could play those shots as hard as you like to get good position, yet you can't, you have to play them slowly. Link to one that's played on a snooker table with any sort of power and we'll argue the toss over that.
                  You and your transfered side fantasy are destroying any hope some people have on this forum of benefitting from using side at all.

Everyone on this forum who plays the game please try this; put the cue ball tight on the cushion and play along the cushion with both left and right hand side very gently and see what the cue ball does, then let biggie know as he won't bother because he's right up Dr. Dave's anus and refuses to leave.

He said all there was a need to know, bottom left hand side on the cue ball, aim the yellow three inches from the pocket to the side cushion and hit it hard to split the pack of reds.

You are beyond clueless. No one is talking about 'transferring side', you ignoramus.

I'll try one more time, to make this very easy for you. A spinning cue ball has an effect on the object ball. Up, down, left, right...all spin has an effect. It's generally called physics. For some reason you think the laws of physics break down on a snooker table. I suspect you break down on a snooker table, usually after the first red.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                    Aren't we now just talking about helping side?

Tell me what helping side actually is.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                      I have no doubt whatsoever Hendry knows the shot he just didn't explain it very well in commentary that's all.

I wouldn't be so sure. He's a serial offender for starters; he's always saying it. There was an even more blatant example at the last WCs but i can't find it on YouTube, annoyingly.

Many, many pros don't know what they are doing. They have just practised like mad and have a god given talent, with exceptional hand eye coordination. Can an idiot savant explain mathematical theory as clearly as a maths professor? Probably not.

Joe Davis probably went to his grave still firmly in the belief side spin could not transfer to an object ball, when everyone today accepts it can and does.

Comment

• ""Helping Side"".
                        To keep and gain ideal / better position on the next OB...Normally played around the black during a break...
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                          Steve, i was once playing the lineup and landed too low on the black (i was on the green side of the table). if i played the natural angle i would collide with the red above it. as i was trying to work out how to play the shot.
                          Barry Stark who was coaching on the next table and was observing came across and told me i could avoid the red if i play the shot thicker and using side to throw the OB into the pocket, as the Black was going to the left i needed to play with a trace of right hand side at a slow pace. He demonstrated this and it did make the pot and avoided hitting the red. i then tried it myself by aiming thicker and again i made the pot and avoided the collision.

i have heard some commentators on TV mention this too , where they say "he used some side to throw the ball in". before this i had never tried it , but since then i have used it a few times and found it to be a useful tool.

to why or what is happening i don't know the science precisely , is any spin transferred to the OB causing it to swerve/take a different path? or is the cueball swerving into the OB taking a different path and avoid the collision that way.
                          all i know is that i can do this and it works.

what is your opinion on this?

Firstly, forget any of his opinions on anything. Secondly, what is happening is, as i bore the pants off myself repeating it, spin induced throw. There will be a lot of content on tinternet about it, I'm sure.

You guys really should know all this by now. Same people same conversations, over and over and over...seriously, are you lot blind on the table??

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                            ""Helping Side"".
                            To keep and gain ideal / better position on the next OB...Normally played around the black during a break...
                            Yes, but explain it.

Comment

Ask him why the shot must be played very gently. According to his explanation the side kicks the red in so in theory you should be able to compensate your aiming to allow for the greater deflection, make an even thinner contact on the red so the faster spin kicks the red ball even more, yet you can't do this.

Again, physics explains all. I suggest you educate yourself first before you become an even bigger laughing stock.

Some people believe in a flat earth, still. Whatchagonnado?
                              Last edited by Hello, Mr Big Shot; 25 July 2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sealer View Post
                                All this kicking is not true. I am an expert. Thank you.

It's called throw, and is extremely true.

What's also true? Snooker players ain't bright.

Comment

Working...
                                X