No announcement yet.

Positional Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I still do not understand (maybe I'm a bit stupid)

The golden rule is never play across the line to gain position when one can play along it

Originally Posted by C-J View Post
    the line of the shot is the straight shot.If the cueball has to travel over this line you can easily run to far(or short).If you can play towards this line(by using a cusion)you have more margin of error.
    Which shot; what? I think a diagramm would be helpful here
    Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Hi,One example would be,say you went a bit too far playing for the blue.You are forced to play a baulk colour instead.Lets say the next red is about or on the pink spot,when playing the green or yellow you have the choice of either deep-screwing up table for position or the more normal on and off the cush.
      The reason the second option is nearly always played is because the cue ball is approaching the red in a line with the corner pocket.If necessary this can be adjusted with a tad of side off the cushion.Errors are then restricted to too hard or soft.TBC.

Comment

Hi again,If you play the screw shot,you obviously still have the weight to get wrong,but you now have to position the white very accurately to stay in line with the pocket.
        The same principle can be applied when escaping from snookers,both in hitting the object ball, and,avoiding running into free-ball situations.
        Hope this helps,regards,Tony.

Comment

Originally Posted by miscuehamburg View Post
          Sorry, I still do not understand (maybe I'm a bit stupid)

The golden rule is never play across the line to gain position when one can play along it

Which shot; what? I think a diagramm would be helpful here
          Lets say you have choice of two reds near the left top pocket with the cueball between pink and black,one has to be hit on the left side(cueball comes of the side cusion towards the black),the other has to be hit on the right side(cueball comes of the top cusion across the line).
          The theorie is that the one that has to be hit on the left side is the one to play because the cueball will come towards the line of the black,giving you more margin of error.

Comment

I see, it is the line between the next ball on and the attempted pocket then. Thank you very much Interesting theory.
            Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Good advice Legod

Im new here but would like to have my say regarding using side:-

I would suggest that everyone should try to use side spin in their game to some degree.

Not only will this open up a hundred more positional opportunities, but will also greatly improve the safety aspect of your game.

I would say that I use a varying degree of side on nearly all safety shots and about 90% of all shots whereby im laying a snooker from dropping off a cushion.

Im not saying that things can't go wrong when using side (or any spin to that effect) but dont be afraid of having a go. Any player with a half decent cue action, patience & confidence can pull it off.

Lastly, I would agree that the best place to pick up side spin tricks is from watching the pro's on the box. The new BBC hawkeye makes it even easier

Good luck

Comment

Some good replies especially legod.I`ve read `all roads lead to black`which means if you have a few positional options available,allways play for the black.Far easier to keep break going with top of the table position.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                X