Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    See what you want to see and believe what you want to believe but that was just me compensating for the side wrong on those gentle shots. For goodness sakes, now the SIT fans are saying EVERY shot with side has SIT and that's just plain wrong. I'm sorry I couldn't pot the black and hold the spot but it's not a shot I would play anyway. I use drag and stun to stop a cueball or at least slow it down on an angled pot.

I see Travis claims he can hold a spot on a 1/2-ball cut and I believe that's not accurate unless he's talking about much lighter balls on a slow cloth as for instance in British pool.
    Lol! I never said I could hold the spot at all.
    Where did you get that from??
    I said I can hold half ball cuts better because I'm hitting the OB thicker.
    Something that's flying over your head for some reason.

Anyway I'll leave you swim in your own ignorence!

And for the last time I play snooker not pool and have just as much right as you do on here.
    At least I know what I'm talking about on this subject!

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
      Yes Jason I agree.

This is the way vmax would play the shot also.
      They are both aiming for correct BOB and missing and they are not getting/seeing it one single bit.
      Very baffling.
      Lol , that's the worst part !!* to fix the problem you have to be able to figure out what the problem is ,, first !!!*

A pair of good eyes and some practise is the salvation from water world and* the way to the drylland .

Comment

I wouldn't mind at all Ramon if you also criticized all the toehrs who are also running down me and our game like Hello, Mr. Big Shot and Little Richie but not a peep out of you when they post something similar to my posts. If you are going to be the arbiter of good manners and politeness then criticize all equally rather than just picking on me and no one else. I don't need courage as I have the courage to say what I mean when dealing with people who harass and bully me on here and you are quickly becoming one of them.
        Was my opinion.

As for insults, we discussed that many pages ago and I gave you my point of view which was a fair point.

Anyway ,i'm gonna stitch a vork in these one , long day ahead !! .

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          this is the first time iv watched this video all the way through and from halfway through its the best video to witness sit in full flow.

https://youtu.be/TRhs8Bit0ng?t=5m37s
          Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          See what you want to see and believe what you want to believe but that was just me compensating for the side wrong on those gentle shots. For goodness sakes, now the SIT fans are saying EVERY shot with side has SIT and that's just plain wrong. I'm sorry I couldn't pot the black and hold the spot but it's not a shot I would play anyway. I use drag and stun to stop a cueball or at least slow it down on an angled pot.

I see Travis claims he can hold a spot on a 1/2-ball cut and I believe that's not accurate unless he's talking about much lighter balls on a slow cloth as for instance in British pool.
          yes but technically regarding sit that actually was sit.

Comment

And for the last time I play snooker not pool and have just as much right as you do on here.
            So, how much snooker do play every week. I'm sorry I misinterpreted your comment. Any decent snooker player can hold the cueball down using drag and stun with no need to use side unless it's on short pots. Over distance this shot becomes very dangerous.
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

yes but technically regarding sit that actually was sit.
              Gotta get this straight...Travis has been using side forever and yet he and you expect me to be able to duplicate his efforts with no practice. I was not aiming correctly on those shots and you think it was SIT and actually it was too little spin and too much pace. I eventually got it down to where I could make the shot and hold the spot but then I said to myself, why am I bothering with this as I can't remember too many shots (mostly red balls or colours off their spots where I've had to use side to hold). My preference is to use either slow pace or drag to hold the cueball better. But you go ahead and become like Travis and use side on every shot so you can to impress your audience. I would rather take less chances that I'll miss the pot because I'm not the most fluent using side without cushions.

Travis is gaining his experience in British pool and not snooker and I believe conditions are different enough that he is encouraged to use side more often than the normal snooker player. There's generally congestion on the smaller table and also shorter shots in general too.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

Gotta get this straight...Travis has been using side forever and yet he and you expect me to be able to duplicate his efforts with no practice. I was not aiming correctly on those shots and you think it was SIT and actually it was too little spin and too much pace. I eventually got it down to where I could make the shot and hold the spot but then I said to myself, why am I bothering with this as I can't remember too many shots (mostly red balls or colours off their spots where I've had to use side to hold). My preference is to use either slow pace or drag to hold the cueball better. But you go ahead and become like Travis and use side on every shot so you can to impress your audience. I would rather take less chances that I'll miss the pot because I'm not the most fluent using side without cushions.

Travis is gaining his experience in British pool and not snooker and I believe conditions are different enough that he is encouraged to use side more often than the normal snooker player. There's generally congestion on the smaller table and also shorter shots in general too.

as far as sit is concerned understanding what is happening is what is expected of good players and coaches, and between this video https://youtu.be/TRhs8Bit0ng?t=5m and your postings we are simply only left to fill in the gaps for the interested members and guests.

-
                Last edited by j6uk; 27 September 2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

You said you bettered my efforts

Comment

as far as sit is concerned understanding what is happening is what is expected of good players and coaches, and between this video https://youtu.be/TRhs8Bit0ng?t=5m and your postings we are simply only left to fill in the gaps for the interested members and guests.

-
                    Then are you going to take it upon yourself to try and convince everyone on here as to exactly what's happening? Will you be trying to teach the pros all about SIT? You will be the martyr who takes on this task and that is very good of you. In addition, are you calling me a bad coach because I don't believe any SIT was involved in those shots on my video, which you can't tell much from given the camera angle. As I said they were poorly executed shots with not enough spin and too much pace and I hit the black too thick. Once I tried a few and started slowing the pace and increasing the spin I managed to hold the cueball well.

You figure since I was using LH side I was throwing the black to the right but I also used RH side too in some of them I believe. When you have the time set up the shot I mentioned and see how you can do with it as runningside looks to have managed it without tricks.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Yes, eventually I did AND I used inside side and also helping side but I feel it was the drag that did most of the work. I think in snooker the shot both j6 and Oma set up are more applicable and players would likely pass on the set-up I used or the set-up you used with the red separated. As of now there's nothing to discuss as we've said it all. I don't know why you are so anxious to convince me SIT plays the most vital part in simple shots where the cueball is curving into the object ball similar to Barry Stark's shot on the blue or your shot on the pink.

We should each be free to believe what we want, free from constant nagging, harassment, insults and bullying by some on here. Why don't you just let me live in my ignorance or is it that you and Ramon believe I'm a big influence on here to some players and you're doing your best to trash my reputation along with Biggy, Reggie and now j6uk has joined the fray. I have never claimed to be a snooker guru as I'll leave that to you, Jason, Biggie, Ramon and Reggie who are more than up to the task.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

Yes, eventually I did AND I used inside side and also helping side but I feel it was the drag that did most of the work. I think in snooker the shot both j6 and Oma set up are more applicable and players would likely pass on the set-up I used or the set-up you used with the red separated. As of now there's nothing to discuss as we've said it all. I don't know why you are so anxious to convince me SIT plays the most vital part in simple shots where the cueball is curving into the object ball similar to Barry Stark's shot on the blue or your shot on the pink.

We should each be free to believe what we want, free from constant nagging, harassment, insults and bullying by some on here. Why don't you just let me live in my ignorance or is it that you and Ramon believe I'm a big influence on here to some players and you're doing your best to trash my reputation along with Biggy, Reggie and now j6uk has joined the fray. I have never claimed to be a snooker guru as I'll leave that to you, Jason, Biggie, Ramon and Reggie who are more than up to the task.
                        Why don't you want to play the shot the correct way?
                        I don't get why you are digging your heels in here.
                        If someone told me something that I didn't know and would help me improve my game I would be only to grateful
                        Last edited by travisbickle; 27 September 2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Why don't you want to play the shot the correct way?
                          I don't get why you are digging your heels in here.
                          If someone told me something that I didn't know and would help me improve my game I would be only to grateful
                          Dr dave, after all his experiments, pleads with people to replicate them and tell him if he is going wrong. All good scientists do. I am reminded of the Richard Dawkin anecdote:

A formative influence on my undergraduate self was the response of a respected elder statesmen of the Oxford Zoology Department when an American visitor had just publicly disproved his favourite theory. The old man strode to the front of the lecture hall, shook the American warmly by the hand and declared in ringing, emotional tones: ‘My dear fellow, I wish to thank you. I have been wrong these fifteen years.’ And we clapped our hands red. Can you imagine a Government Minister being cheered in the House of Commons for a similar admission? “Resign, Resign” is a much more likely response!

Comment

Just you wait til vmax has had a bash. He'll be much more betterist than you.

Comment

Now? My good man, it was first discovered in 1835 that there is SIT on every shot, not now!

If you want to eliminate SIT entirely, you'll have to do better than give yer balls a quick rub. I suppose it's technically possible to get rid of friction entirely but it's not terribly likely on a snooker table: where's there's friction, there's SIT.

Comment

He got that from the same place he got the notion an object ball could pull a handbrake turn around an intervening ball.

Terry: sees things that aren't there, blind as a bat to things that are.

Comment

Working...
                                X