Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pottr
    replied
    I really don't get why you bite, Terry... Ignore em... They're faceless and most likely false.

This forum makes me laugh...

I put up a video of some clearances that were set as a challenge (which I did within 15 minutes or so of being asked)... The video was 'warts and all' and I was slagged off for missing a long red...

Pretty sure Hendry missed a red or two in his time?

And I don't know why Kyron Wilson brought up, but if you want me to ask him anything next time he's in the club... Let me know what and I'll post the video on here.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    vmax:

I would like to congratulate you on having the guts to post this video and have to put up with all the criticisms and insult dished out by those members who prefer to not publish their names or video of themselves showing us just how good they are or aren't but rather prefer to sit in the bushes and snipe at anyone they don't agree with.

Remember though when that video of me in the Canadian Seniors was up and all the criticism I received from everyone who didn't think about me being in a pressure situation with my poor technique making it look worse and also lack of confidence causing me to make some poor decisions in favour of safety play because I didn't have the confidence to step out.

I would love to see some videos published here and also some real names so I can get my chance of doing some sniping, but not hiding in the bushes like these guys do.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    In my defense I played full-time in Britain from late 1985 until late 1988 and made a ranking of #30 for all amateurs playing in the pro-ams at the time. Was also Leicestershire county champ 1986 and beat Stephan Mazrocis in the semis for that one. I was not good enough however to earn my pro ticket at the time although some of my practice partners like Tony Wilson and Mick Price from Nuneaton did. I was in my 40's at the time.

I am a certified master and senior coach from 3 different training groups, all of which have excellent reps and I feel I'm just as capable as Barry Stark to spout off regarding snooker however I've not posted any videos on youtube except for bad ones like the one on this string from the Canadian Champs. Speaking of which I did make the semis that year as my game did improve. However, I agree with the statement...'those that can, do and those that can't coach'.

Nice of Byrom and others to analyse my technique however the most serious fault is I move at the start of my delivery and I've been trying to conquer than for awhile. For whoever posted that Cdn Champs video I have been through that battle before (with vmax actually) but everyone on here had lots of negative thing to say about my technique. I was able to grind out some match wins.

In saying that let me know when you have a century in competition or qualify for the World's or win your pro ticket at Q-School or win ANYTHING even taken coach training, THEN you can criticize using your gained knowledge, but until then how about you present your idea in a positive way if you can. And also remember I'm 72yrs old and deserve a little leeway.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
    That's fair enough Byrom.
    But when it comes to side TD's knowledge is poor.
    A coach for me should be able to perform all the shots to show the pupil how it's done.
    In football terms he's more your David Moyes then a Pep Guardiola
    Still the critics. Too bad your minds aren't open to looking really closely at what is happening. Download freeware Kinovia and then copy Barry's video to your hard drive and then open it with Kinovea. There is a frame-by-frame feature in there where you can watch the exact instant the cueball hits the blue ball and can make up your own mind what's really happening.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
    What is a ten rack ?
    The pool expert obviously hasn't run 10 racks in a row in 9-ball which is considered the mark of an excellent pool player and one reason they usually have alternative breaks now in 9-ball competition. He is accusing me of saying that but I don't play pool at all although I tried it for a couple of seasons. It was rack handicapped. A pro or good amateur was a 9 and I was a 7 so I wasn't all that great.

Leave a comment:

• Terry Davidson
    replied
    Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    No, you said you had got a 10 pack in competition. I'm calling BS.
    Definitely didn't say that, you are just Trump all over again

Leave a comment:

• travisbickle
    replied
    Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    I too doubted his 147 claims in the past but the guy is older than a the Empire State building and has a few more miles on the clock than most of us on here. In the past he has beaten some great players. and did knock 70 odd in when he played in ISBF thing so he can play.

Keep in mind his age - he probably has developed a few faults - you mention some of those although lots of players have their own set ways that are not exactly text book lack of pause and long bridge are faults you mention but it is his thing - I agree getting more compact and developing a pause would help but he has probably been playing this way too long now to change it up - If I was to point anything out for improvement it would be his overall demeanour around the table - he does not look confident like he owns the space - I think a change in this would help - because the way he assesses then the hesitant way he gets down is the main one for me - I find the line get down and attack the thing... but he does not look too positive around the table - lots of time spent not on the line of the shot assessing things from the wrong perspective and too hesitant for me as he sort of meanders into the shot rather than attacking it - making sure/he occasionally gets down and back up then down again.

These are age related things...bad habits of trying to hard to be perfect...that said in the past he has beaten good players in his youth - like Dave Harold and is in snooker scene making tons so trust me DH was as hard as nails to take frames off so I hold my hand up and say he used to be a player and has acquired knowledge of the game obviously.

If I were to pick on my game I have faults too - Terry is a coach and there is an old saying - do as I say not as I do. I am sure he has helped a lot of players improve. One thing he told me improved my game and I was grateful and if yo care to listen you can pick up lots of good advice from everywhere. Look guys just because you know the physics of the game and can discuss spin and throw does not mean you can play - and visa versa - a lot of pro players can play but cant explain everything clearly / scientifically - many are not aware of the science or terminology of the game - does not make them lesser players and there is no real need to learn about it - as long as you can do it.

I once asked Ronnie how he did a certain shot and he said had no idea he just said - I just hit it there like this.

Snooker is a kinesthetic game - you learn by doing - you don't read something on a forum or in a book and automatically improve... It takes practice to perfect your own style of play.

I did not like saying this but its getting a bit wrong with the personal attacks on v-max and Terry and others - we all love the game or we would not be here - we can disagree on things - we can agree or misunderstand one another but there is no need to pull the bones out of it like this.
    That's fair enough Byrom.
    But when it comes to side TD's knowledge is poor.
    A coach for me should be able to perform all the shots to show the pupil how it's done.
    In football terms he's more your David Moyes then a Pep Guardiola

Leave a comment:

• Byrom
    replied
    I too doubted his 147 claims in the past but the guy is older than a the Empire State building and has a few more miles on the clock than most of us on here. In the past he has beaten some great players. and did knock 70 odd in when he played in ISBF thing so he can play.

Keep in mind his age - he probably has developed a few faults - you mention some of those although lots of players have their own set ways that are not exactly text book lack of pause and long bridge are faults you mention but it is his thing - I agree getting more compact and developing a pause would help but he has probably been playing this way too long now to change it up - If I was to point anything out for improvement it would be his overall demeanour around the table - he does not look confident like he owns the space - I think a change in this would help - because the way he assesses then the hesitant way he gets down is the main one for me - I find the line get down and attack the thing... but he does not look too positive around the table - lots of time spent not on the line of the shot assessing things from the wrong perspective and too hesitant for me as he sort of meanders into the shot rather than attacking it - making sure/he occasionally gets down and back up then down again.

These are age related things...bad habits of trying to hard to be perfect...that said in the past he has beaten good players in his youth - like Dave Harold and is in snooker scene making tons so trust me DH was as hard as nails to take frames off so I hold my hand up and say he used to be a player and has acquired knowledge of the game obviously.

If I were to pick on my game I have faults too - Terry is a coach and there is an old saying - do as I say not as I do. I am sure he has helped a lot of players improve. One thing he told me improved my game and I was grateful and if yo care to listen you can pick up lots of good advice from everywhere. Look guys just because you know the physics of the game and can discuss spin and throw does not mean you can play - and visa versa - a lot of pro players can play but cant explain everything clearly / scientifically - many are not aware of the science or terminology of the game - does not make them lesser players and there is no real need to learn about it - as long as you can do it.

I once asked Ronnie how he did a certain shot and he said had no idea he just said - I just hit it there like this.

Snooker is a kinesthetic game - you learn by doing - you don't read something on a forum or in a book and automatically improve... It takes practice to perfect your own style of play.

I did not like saying this but its getting a bit wrong with the personal attacks on v-max and Terry and others - we all love the game or we would not be here - we can disagree on things - we can agree or misunderstand one another but there is no need to pull the bones out of it like this.

Leave a comment:

• Little Reggie
    replied
    It does? What about?
    Stabby cue action, 14'' bridge to ball, boxer stance. Grinder.

How he has the cheek to criticise Barry Stark and experts on side/side xfer is beyond me.
    Last edited by Little Reggie; 21 August 2017, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Catch 22
    replied
    What is a ten rack ?

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    For clarity of communication, i only ever use throw to describe what happens when the CB hits the OB, so the answer to your question is the OB.
    best to leave it there.

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied

And it didn't do kyren wilson any harm to know how to use spin induced throw, did it?......l.
    That ball clearly kicked, he did not play it that way !
    Funny how I've never ever seen another ball potted that way ever on tv ??

Leave a comment:

• Hello, Mr Big Shot
    replied
    Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    I was asking you about the 10 racks since you say you're a good pool player. I've run centuries at snooker and it's been in Snooker Scene.
    No, you said you had got a 10 pack in competition. I'm calling BS.

Leave a comment:

• Hello, Mr Big Shot
    replied
    Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Yeah... you still hear Terry's name pop up around here.

I don't even know big shot's real name.

speaks volumes x
    It does? What about?

Leave a comment:

• Hello, Mr Big Shot
    replied
    Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    Well...

We really are scraping the snooker barrel if this **** is a hot topic.

It's pretty insignificant knowledge in terms of helping you improve
    All knowledge is important. If all it takes is practise, why aren't we all maxi players?

And it didn't do kyren wilson any harm to know how to use spin induced throw, did it? Hard to believe but he's got a better crucible record than you.

Besides, i remember you having to climb off your high horse a while back on this very subject lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X