Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
    Played at Pottr's house last night, we were discussing the SIT thread.
    We had a discussion around it and agreed that at certain times we have both tried to use SIT in the past but that the effects on the object ball are minimal (i'm sure most will agree with that). Sometimes it has worked for us and other times it hasn't but yes it isn't a myth it can work. I'd say that this shot only comes up in snooker once in a blue moon though. I had my positional play doubted by somebody and the truth is I probably wouldn't play for a ball that didn't pot plain ball because I do not trust the use of SIT.

We also both happened to play shots where we couldn't see the potting angle on the object ball but were able to swerve the cueball in such a way that the cue ball would impact on the correct point of the object ball, therefore being able to pot it. On this thread this theory has been doubted but anybody with an ounce of ability will know this works too.

There have been a lot of put downs by people (i'm no saint) when talking about SIT. Personally my reason for not giving it much time is that my focus is snooker and in my opinion even the best players in the world don't see the value in using it.
    Apart from wilson, selby and white, you mean?

You stick to admiring pottr's undercrackers mate. You'll get your hands on them one day, I'm sure.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      Apart from wilson, selby and white, you mean?

You stick to admiring pottr's undercrackers mate. You'll get your hands on them one day, I'm sure.
      Those weren't SIT anyway, just curve. Are you calling Tom gay?
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
        But we can travis, I myself use helping side often, what you're not grasping is that there are two camps here that think the reason why it happens is different. You say you contact the OB thicker and the side throws the OB onto the correct line to pot it, we say that the cue ball initially deflects and then swerves onto BOB to pot the ball.
        You say you hold the cue ball with a thicker contact due to SIT, we say the cue ball approaches the OB from a slightly different line due to deflection and swerve to hold the cue ball.
        We all play the same shots, the outcome is the same but the reason why is what we're banging on about and the contact point is so very, very close to making the OB far jaw or centre pocket that's it's very hard to tell without a high speed video showing the whole of the shot where the trajectory of both balls can be seen throughout the shot.

Anyone can simply forget the actual reason why this happens and simply play the shots, get the desired result and carry on, but a lot of people are confused and as a result don't bother to learn to use side and to me that's something that's holding them back.

Terry and I are trying to get some fundamentals across and are constantly being ambushed by biggie and the only thing he can bash people with. He goes months without posting anything and then as soon as sidespin becomes a topic there he is with all his curt replies and insults holding people back from experimenting and this time I'm not backing away from it.

According to the SIT devotees this shouldn't happen as SIT should throw the OB, but then they have their get out clause that SIT happens at a certain pace with a certain amount of side at certain angles. Anything slightly too hard/too soft/less or more sidespin/thicker or thinner contact and it somehow magically dissipates.
        That has been shown to happen by Dr. Dave and a bloke who pivots his cue to apply side with the CB and OB only a couple of inches apart. Cue parallel to the line of aim to apply side and put a couple of feet between CB and OB and the results are different and IMO show the differing levels of deflection and swerve only.

Two camps? There's only you in one camp mate. You're less of a camp and more of a one man tent.

I'm holding people back from experimenting now, am i? Okayyy

As for SIT happening more or less at certain speeds etc, how is this different to any other shot? Do you always get screw if you hit the ball below the middle? You don't help yourself mate.

PS there has been one bloke who pivots his cue and demonstrates SIT on this thread - you!

Comment

• tom, do you and pott play in those dodgy Tokyo thongs. hahaha :snooker:
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            Those weren't SIT anyway, just curve. Are you calling Tom gay?
            Nah, but i called his pint a poof.

Just curved? Are you nuts? I thought you believed in SIT just now - don't tell me you've flip flopped again? There we were, thinking you were going to break all sorts of records by throwing balls 40 or 50 degrees, and now you've gone and joined vmax's Great British Camp-Out again.

Come on tel, make yer mind up!

Comment

Nah, but i called his pint a poof.

Just curved? Are you nuts? I thought you believed in SIT just now - don't tell me you've flip flopped again? There we were, thinking you were going to break all sorts of records by throwing balls 40 or 50 degrees, and now you've gone and joined vmax's Great British Camp-Out again.

Come on tel, make yer mind up!
              Lol! Tel is making me dizzy.
              I don't know who's side he's on tbh :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Comment

Just you wait til vmax has had a bash. He'll be much more betterist than you.
                When vmax plays with side he gets no throw at all...I can't compete with that

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                  Lol. Physics is his biatch.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                    Quit lying Travis and read the old post you put up where vmax commented. You must have a terribly short memory or a really creative one.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      Quit lying Travis and read the old post you put up where vmax commented. You must have a terribly short memory or a really creative one.
                      Just for you Tel

I played this shot sunday afternoon, dead straight brown off its spot into the green pocket, cue ball two feet away, with both left and right hand side and never once did the brown throw on contact; only counted the ones that went dead centre into the pocket, so that ruled out CIT, made over twenty, and after contact the cue ball drifted towards the near jaw every time with both left and right hand side before stopping two feet beyond the brown spot.

Original Source: What do people think of Roy Chisholm's Snooker Secrets? http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz4tv2KpM6t
                      - TSF - TheSnookerForum.co.uk
                      Follow us: @TheSnookerForum on Twitter | TheSnookerForum on Facebook

Comment

Played at Pottr's house last night, we were discussing the SIT thread.
                        We had a discussion around it and agreed that at certain times we have both tried to use SIT in the past but that the effects on the object ball are minimal (i'm sure most will agree with that). Sometimes it has worked for us and other times it hasn't but yes it isn't a myth it can work. I'd say that this shot only comes up in snooker once in a blue moon though. I had my positional play doubted by somebody and the truth is I probably wouldn't play for a ball that didn't pot plain ball because I do not trust the use of SIT.

We also both happened to play shots where we couldn't see the potting angle on the object ball but were able to swerve the cueball in such a way that the cue ball would impact on the correct point of the object ball, therefore being able to pot it. On this thread this theory has been doubted but anybody with an ounce of ability will know this works too.

There have been a lot of put downs by people (i'm no saint) when talking about SIT. Personally my reason for not giving it much time is that my focus is snooker and in my opinion even the best players in the world don't see the value in using it.
                        Hi Tom,

As you and pottr are established players and probably do this stuff without thinking then there probably isn't any reason to consider it.

However, if you was to teach a player who is up to a certain standard and is ready to play with side, do you not think it would be good to make the player aware of this?

The first thing a coach would teach someone who plays with side is that the cueball deflects off the line so you need to make allowances for this and as we have seen in the many videos the amount of cueball deflection makes as much difference in either making or missing the pot than SIT does.

Thoughts?

Dan

Comment

• Originally Posted by dan_ormerod View Post
                          Hi Tom,

As you and pottr are established players and probably do this stuff without thinking then there probably isn't any reason to consider it.

However, if you was to teach a player who is up to a certain standard and is ready to play with side, do you not think it would be good to make the player aware of this?

The first thing a coach would teach someone who plays with side is that the cueball deflects off the line so you need to make allowances for this and as we have seen in the many videos the amount of cueball deflection makes as much difference in either making or missing the pot than SIT does.

Thoughts?

Dan
                          Morning Dan,

Nice to read a post that isn't insulting to be quite honest!

I've always believed that people should learn what the cue ball does up and down the centre firstly, work that out and then experiment with side.
                          I know Mr BS and Travis are huge advocates of SIT but in my opinion (it's just my opinion before anyone starts) learning about SIT isn't necessary.
                          There will be many on the forum thinking to themselves, hang on a minute I've made centuries and won tournaments without the knowledge or use of SIT. I guarantee there are pros who give it zero thought too.

J6 may feel he needs to pot blacks with side, Terry doesn't. It's just personal preference. Us snooker players are all different and play the game differently, that's partly what makes it interesting.

Dan- I agree on your point about deflection, this is important. I remember getting my new cue and it played completely different in terms of the amount of deflection I was getting. I'd say that learning just how much deflection is generated over certain distances/speeds etc is vital to playing good snooker, particularly when you think about those length of the table safety shots requiring side.
                          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Morning Dan,

I've always believed that people should learn what the cue ball does up and down the centre firstly, work that out and then experiment with side.
                            I know Mr BS and Travis are huge advocates of SIT but in my opinion (it's just my opinion before anyone starts) learning about SIT isn't necessary.
                            There will be many on the forum thinking to themselves, hang on a minute I've made centuries and won tournaments without the knowledge or use of SIT. I guarantee there are pros who give it zero thought too.

J6 may feel he needs to pot blacks with side, Terry doesn't. It's just personal preference. Us snooker players are all different and play the game differently, that's partly what makes it interesting.

Dan- I agree on your point about deflection, this is important. I remember getting my new cue and it played completely different in terms of the amount of deflection I was getting. I'd say that learning just how much deflection is generated over certain distances/speeds etc is vital to playing good snooker, particularly when you think about those length of the table safety shots requiring side.
                            You forgot to mention, you're dad played against Mark Selby years ago !!

Just saying !!

Comment

Morning Dan,

So, learning about deflection is vital, whilst learning about throw isn't? Bonkers.

1. Deflection.
                              2. Swerve.
                              3. Throw.

There is no difference in terms of what is "vital". All have an affect on the outcome of the shot when it is played with side.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                                You forgot to mention, you're dad played against Mark Selby years ago !!

Just saying !!
                                Ramon, you have to be the most immature person on here. You make BS look grown up.
                                Was there something wrong with me referencing that Selby played in our local league and then backing it up with proof?

Crawl back into the hole you emerged from.
                                "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X