Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    This shows your ignorance travis, we're both swerving onto the correct line from the initial deflection, and as the cue ball is approaching the OB from where it deflected to the shot is either slightly thicker, so easier to hold the cue ball close to the line of aim, or slightly thinner, so easier to move the cue ball away from the line of aim. This is helping side for position purposes, it doesn't help the pot it helps to get better position. Just like you I don't aim for BOB but that's where the cue ball goes only you don't see it, you think you hit what you're aiming at but seeing as the cue ball always deflects and swerves when side is applied to it, how the hell are you aiming thicker/thinner and hitting what you're aiming at ?

I play that very shot several times in my video at varying speeds, the power ones where biggie thinks I'm pivoting shows just how much my aiming is offset to allow for the initial deflection. On those dead straight power shots to the green pocket I'm actually aiming to miss the left hand jaw and the cue ball deflects straight to near enough BOB to pot the ball, no swerve at that pace. My bridge is about 12 inches from the cue ball and as I'm aiming to miss the left hand jaw it looks like I'm pivoting but I'm not. All those so called pivots that biggie thinks he sees are because I'm aiming to miss a dead straight shot and my cue is parallel to an offset line of aim, but I guess that's too difficult for the bloke to understand so he sees what he wants to see.

Terry wasn't compensating his aiming enough or too much as it's a shot he very rarely uses but he got it in the end. I do not aim for correct BOB when applying sidespin, I aim to allow for the deflection and swerve I know I going to get, it's very small on the shot Terry was demonstrating. Basically you aim for one jaw over the other depending which side you're applying in that particular shot.
    Watch the predator video again and realise what you're actually doing when you're aiming thicker/thinner than the actual angle to pot the ball.

The cue ball initially deflects offline opposite to the sidespin applied, when the sidespin changes to the 30 degree axis it stops deflecting and rolls straight and then, depending on the pace of the shot and the direction of the spin to the lay of the nap, it swerves onto a different line. It does this every single time side is applied to it whether trace side or a full on raised butt swerve shot, the only difference is the amount of deflection and swerve you get, a tiny bit or a lot or many differing amounts inbetween because the sidespin is gripping the cloth and pulling the cue ball offline.

This is the fundamental of using sidespin, nothing else is happening unless you get a bad contact and then anything can happen just like it can with a bad contact when not using side. Too much friction between the balls and a bad contact like Wilson got is no basis for what happens when balls collide, oh dear I've just used your mantra, sorry!

Anyone can prove this to themselves by playing a sidespin shot along a straight edge of some kind that the cue ball will hug, in effect cancelling out any swerve, to contact BOB on an OB, who's outside edge to the pocket is free of the straight edge, to pot centre pocket. If SIT happens then the OB will miss or go to the side of the pocket. If it goes centre pocket then the spin on the cue ball has had no effect.
    I did this using the edge of the triangle full of reds to stop it moving, bit tricky getting the cue ball to hug the edge as you need to counteract the initial deflection opposite to the side you apply, but once you get that sorted and the cue ball hugs the straight edge without leaving it all the way to the OB then you'll see the true result.
    I played a half ball green into it's own pocket using left hand side spinning against the nap as that means less swerve and was easier to control. I used extreme side, trace side and inbetween the two and got the same result for all three shots.

Oh and to satisfy the SIT devotees also set one up where BOB on the OB is actually outside the far jaw of the pocket and see if you can throw it in the pocket. Make sure you hit it at the correct pace and at the correct angle though or they'll cry foul.
    Only have 20% charge on my phone so I'm not reading all that now.
    About TD shots though. He missed every time because he didn't allow for the throw, nothing else,only this.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
      Deflection & throw are two different things Pottr.
      It's throw that both vmax/TD don't understand

This is my only form btw sweet cheeks
      Deflection is what happens to the cueball when struck with side and throw is normally referring to object ball throw which is a theory that states significant throw can be induced on the object ball by a spiining cueball however too much pace and too much spin negates it.

Is that correct Travis?
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

This is my only form btw sweet cheeks
        my friend, he does'nt undrstand it either. he thinks deflection and throw are the same thing.
        This stuff is new to him .
        Using side is not easy , Every one need sum table time to master it .

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          im showing sit, hitting it thick and throwing it in to hold for the next. you know? last thing you want is a 1/4 ball black at distance right?
          Now Jason, you know too much power negates SIT and that's exactly what you have in the second video. All you're doing in the second video is using a bit of check side to kill the freaking cueball off the cushion. In fact Jason, all you're doing here is stirring it again trying to get the SIT/anti-SIT crowd at each others throats again.

I'm very surprised someone as knowledgeable as yourself can't see that, in fact it amazes me.
          Last edited by Terry Davidson; 28 September 2017, 12:24 PM.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
            my friend, he does'nt undrstand it either. he thinks deflection and throw are the same thing.
            This stuff is new to him .
            Using side is not easy , Every one need sum table time to master it .
            Ramon...you are absolutely amazing. To accuse a player who makes centuries and is a top player in the Midlands of not knowing what deflection and throw are puts you in the same class as Travis accusing me and vmax of the same thing. I think your sole objective is to further stir the sh*t along with Jason, Travis and Biggie. About all you're good for is taking screen shots from videos and even then you get the contact point wrong. I would go on but you get the idea. Try and get some experience actually playing snooker before you start giving your 'expert' advice.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Now Jason, you know too much power negates SIT and that's exactly what you have in the second video. All you're doing in the second video is using a bit of check side to kill the freaking cueball off the cushion. In fact Jason, all you're doing here is stirring it again trying to get the SIT/anti-SIT crowd at each others throats again.

I'm very surprise someone as knowledgeable as yourself can't see that, in fact it amazes me.
              lol im sure you can appreciate talking about this with you and your understandings of sit and the subtleties of these shots would be too exhausting, but your observations are incorrect. maybe trav can help as im not around..
              Last edited by j6uk; 28 September 2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                Ramon...you are absolutely amazing. To accuse a player who makes centuries and is a top player in the Midlands of not knowing what deflection and throw are puts you in the same class as Travis accusing me and vmax of the same thing. I think your sole objective is to further stir the sh*t along with Jason, Travis and Biggie. About all you're good for is taking screen shots from videos and even then you get the contact point wrong. I would go on but you get the idea. Try and get some experience actually playing snooker before you start giving your 'expert' advice.
                Even the best players in the world have trouble when it comes to using side , bud.
                It's not easy .
                We all learning .
                And yes , i think you and pottr both need more practise tbh .
                But at the end , it's your game my friend .

Feel free to blame the Devil as long as you want !!

Comment

• im showing sit, hitting it thick and throwing it in to hold for the next. you know? last thing you want is a 1/4 ball black at distance right?
                  Yeah, I know what you're doing... you're playing the shot with side to hold the angle, but you're only holding the angle coz you're coming on and off the cushion... The SIT aspect of it is all in your head.

If you disagree, that's fine, you think you're right, I think I'm right... nothing further to discuss.

I know... that's kinda exactly what I'm saying in the post if you read the context.

I'm saying Jason is conflating what happens with deflection of the white and it's effect as 'Spin Induced Throw'...

We've all gone around in circles with this... No one has said anything that the other side doesn't understand... Well except Ramon who fell for runningside's fake video on the other thread and used it as evidence then backtracked and folded faster than Superman doing his laundry and claimed he knew it was a joke all along.

Complete tool
                  Last edited by pottr; 28 September 2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• And yes , i think you and pottr both need more practise tbh .
                    But at the end , it's your game my friend .
                    Name the time, the place and the purse, Ramon... show me how good you are?

I'm free all next week and I've barely picked my cue up since May, now would be the time for you to take me on

Or are you like HMBS, all bark, no bite and no bollocks.

Go on... name a venue, I'll be there.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                      Yeah, I know what you're doing... you're playing the shot with side to hold the angle, but you're only holding the angle coz you're coming on and off the cushion... The SIT aspect of it is all in your head.

If you disagree, that's fine, you think you're right, I think I'm right... nothing further to discuss.

I know... that's kinda exactly what I'm saying in the post if you read the context.

I'm saying Jason is conflating what happens with deflection of the white and it's effect as 'Spin Induced Throw'...

We've all gone around in circles with this... No one has said anything that the other side doesn't understand... Well except Ramon who fell for runningside's fake video on the other thread and used it as evidence then backtracked and folded faster than Superman doing his laundry and claimed he knew it was a joke all along.

Complete tool
                      I have to disagree Pottr.

Watch Tel's 3rd vid (holding the black spot) then ask yourself does he understand throw?
                      And Vmax has already said he gets no OB throw whatsoever when using side!

Comment

Name the time, the place and the purse, Ramon... show me how good you are?

I'm free all next week and I've barely picked my cue up since May, now would be the time for you to take me on

Or are you like HMBS, all bark, no bite and no bollocks.

Go on... name a venue, I'll be there.
                        And that's why SIT does'nt exist ?
                        Is this your logic ?

You keep insult peole .
                        Now is my turne !!

The affairs of love is constant , my friend.
                        When it comes to you ,, tbh i think the problem is your dady* saved* that part for back in the office .
                        Hence your IQ .......
                        Now i'm going to my work and you can start* licking the wounds.

Btw , a lion has no time for a cat.

And do me a fvr would ya , get sum rest.

Comment

• Like I said... no courage at all

Yeah, I'm an idiot...

On this snooker forum, I'm a century break player who regularly used to play with pros... won everything you can win at pool and snooker in my area.

Away from TSF
                          MD of a successful business
                          6 figure income
                          No mortgage
                          60K Merc on my drive
                          Snooker table off the dining room
                          Stunning missus and two beautiful, talented kids
                          The best dog ever
                          I holiday 4/5 times a year

If that's losing, then I never want to win

I clearly do need a rest, I've worked bloody hard to get all that at 33... **** knows how I maintained my model like good looks x

Watch Tel's 3rd vid (holding the black spot) then ask yourself does he understand throw?
                          Sorry Trav, I really haven't the desire to watch more videos on it... They might have it wrong from that... I am comfortable with what I know on the subject x
                          Last edited by pottr; 28 September 2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Like I said... no courage at all

Yeah, I'm an idiot...

On this snooker forum, I'm a century break player who regularly used to play with pros... won everything you can win at pool and snooker in my area.

Away from TSF
                            MD of a successful business
                            6 figure income
                            No mortgage
                            60K Merc on my drive
                            Snooker table off the dining room
                            Stunning missus and two beautiful, talented kids
                            The best dog ever
                            I holiday 4/5 times a year

If that's losing, then I never want to win

I clearly do need a rest, I've worked bloody hard to get all that at 33... **** knows how I maintained my model like good looks x

Sorry Trav, I really haven't the desire to watch more videos on it... They might have it wrong from that... I am comfortable with what I know on the subject x
                            Even the best players in the world can have a poor (a wrong) judgement at the time. as i said, we all learning. You consider it as an attack toward your experience.
                            *well, it's not.

*We are all made from flesh and blood. and we can be wrong.
                            Does that give you the right to start insulting peaple ?* I doubt it.

Anyway , last post. I'm*too late !!

enjoy your day and calm the fuk down.
                            we talk later and get this sorted out !

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

whatever, Ramon...

I'm done with you (again)

stop eating crayons

Comment

yeah theres loads of stuff on that 3rd vid.. but while pottr is in the headlines it would be good to hear how he sees it in his head. after hes finish trying to spark posters and caught his breath.

Comment

Working...
                                X