Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    I now ask you, the same as I asked travis, to set up the same shot but play the cue ball with left hand side to make the OB red throw the other way on contact. If, as you say, the cue ball does not swerve at such a low speed struck with a level cue at 9 or 3 o'clock then you should be able to make the same contact point.

All these shots show the cue ball spinning horizontally and not on the 30 degree axis that I showed happens when the initial skidding stops and the cue ball grips the cloth and rolls forward. Either these shots are played at a very close distance, struck very hard or the 30 degree axis spin doesn't happen on a napless cloth, which I very much doubt.

Maybe you could ask the good doctor if this happens on a napped snooker table cloth only, and if not why he hasn't captured it on any of his videos and what difference it would make to the contact of the two balls with the cue ball spinning on a 30 ish degree axis.
    This is a snooker forum after all and we don't play on napless cloths.
    Not had a dig at you at all .
    I am just* surprised . You and Terry both have such great* knowledge about this game and i love the way you both looking at the game ( as i have mentioned many times ?? ) .

And yet ,, you're not able to see somerhing which is SO Simple and obvious. Not to mention you both overcomplicate the issue for yourself in a total unnecessary way.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      You have no understanding of what I'm saying here Travis> j6uk said he can alter the course of the OBJECT BALL by 1/4-ball by using side and drag. 1/4 of the OB is a 30* change in direction. I know this is being technical but try to keep up please!
      Lol says the man who doesn't/can't use side. Like I said a while back, you have so much to learn!
      Just to add, you said 45 degrees the first time, so I'm not sure you even know what you're talking about yourself!
      Just looked this up
      http://billiards.colostate.edu/image..._fractions.jpg
      I think you need to keep up old man
      Last edited by travisbickle; 28 August 2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        It appears that OB throw only occues on very thin cuts and only this can be altered by SIT, which is quite different to that which some people on here are advocating from their interpretation of Dr. Dave's videos. This one is from Colorado State and includes a reference to Dr. Dave. In addition to just thin cuts they also say you need to be at top professional level in order to use it consistently. Here is a quote from the site:

The problem with using this "smooth rolling across the object ball's surface" technique is that it requires a lot of skill and experience to get right. The amount of outside required depends on the cut angle, the distance to the ball, and the amount of draw/follow. As has been pointed out by Dr. Dave, Ron Shepard and others, if you get it wrong by a little the shot can go wrong by a lot.

I think the main factor is on skids. This is also called "cling" and in snooker-playing regions "kick." I think the best name for it is "bad contact." In any case, it seems to be due to chalk at the contact point of cue ball on object ball and it causes large amounts of throw. Some players don't even realize that skid exists and think that when people complain about getting a skid/kick/cling/bad contact they are just trying to make excuses. Skids can happen on maybe 1 shot in 50 to 500 depending on conditions and the sort of shots taken.

So, where is this all going? If a player just flat out misses 30% of the shots he shoots at, he's got no reason to take special, complicated precautions to avoid a 1% problem. At that level he should be working on bringing his stick straight through the middle of the cue ball with maybe a little follow or draw. Nice and smooth and not too hard. Such a player has only a dim notion of squirt, swerve and throw, and probably no knowledge of skid.

On the other hand, if you're Rempe or Sigel or Hohmann, and on a good day you miss only one time in 200 shots attempted, you can't afford to have the object ball skidding off randomly one time in 100.

So the bottom line is that whether you should try to use outside english on the fraction of shots that allow the freedom to use it may well depend on how well you play.

So all these sarcastic and insulting quotes we've been seeing from all the OB Throw advocates has all been bollocks. What they are really doing is just what vmax and I said, they are curving the cueball into the correct potting point and there is NO effect on the object ball and this is according to BOTH Dr. Dave and Colorado State. Perhaps these people should try and get a better understanding of exactly what's happening, but it sure looks like it only applies to very thin cuts at the top professional level. I doubt there is any CIT or SIT going on in any of these videos or photos because they are not thin cuts.
        Lolololol!

Jesus wept, don't know where to start here! Firstly, that quote is from Bob jewett, long term side kick of dr dave, and one of the world's leading experts on pocket billiards.

He is also talking about gearing English, which is a small amount that counteracts the effects of throw. If you're using Bob jewett as evidence that throw doesn't exist, or only exists on extreme cut shots, you're well and truly barking up the wrong tree.

You really need to educate yourself properly. You might stop making a complete fool of yourself.

Anyway, bob jewett, using a lot throw. Try it plain ball.

https://youtu.be/GaSKh1PSqok

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          If you add this one to the original Rot Chisholm thread, it's over 100 pages. Still no end in sight, I think it was aliens.
          The end was discovered 200 years ago mate.

Can't help Some people.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
            And what's the point in that as I would miss the red as it now has left hand side on it which is the wrong side to pot it!
            If you think the red swerved then you need your eyes tested mate. You can clearly see the red hold it's line.
            Also you can just see the red fall into the left side of the pocket so don't give me that BS.

I'd give up on vmax if i were mate. Completely clueless.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              Not had a dig at you at all .
              I am just* surprised . You and Terry both have such great* knowledge about this game and i love the way you both looking at the game ( as i have mentioned many times ?? ) .

And yet ,, you're not able to see somerhing which is SO Simple and obvious. Not to mention you both overcomplicate the issue for yourself in a total unnecessary way.
              The way they tie themselves in knots trying to convince themselves they are right is hilarious to watch - and a little troubling...

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                Lolololol!

Jesus wept, don't know where to start here! Firstly, that quote is from Bob jewett, long term side kick of dr dave, and one of the world's leading experts on pocket billiards.

He is also talking about gearing English, which is a small amount that counteracts the effects of throw. If you're using Bob jewett as evidence that throw doesn't exist, or only exists on extreme cut shots, you're well and truly barking up the wrong tree.

You really need to educate yourself properly. You might stop making a complete fool of yourself.

I potted quite a few like this. Best being a red 6 inches to the right of the black spot...1 inch off the cushion and the CB on the baulk line bang in between the side cushion/yellow spot.

Comment

• During a match?, travis.
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                    During a match?, travis.
                    No. That one was against a mate in practice a couple of years ago.
                    Giving a few pops at it I'm sure I could do it again
                    Last edited by travisbickle; 28 August 2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• hahaha, I thought so...
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Lolololol!

Come on Biggie, even I can see that swerved right round the back and hit exactly bob coming the other way, which is the only place you can hit to pot a ball, good grief.
                        That is one hell of a shot.
                        I would like Terry to know, since I have been emailing Dr Dave I have ended up on his mailing list and have received one plugging a multiple DVD set about playing pool made by Dr Dave and Bob Jewett( who I must admit I had never heard of) so I think it's fair to say they see eye to eye on everything.
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 28 August 2017, 04:42 PM.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Come on Biggie, even I can see that swerved right round the back and hit exactly bob coming the other way, which is the only place you can hit to pot a ball, good grief.
                          He put the camera at ariel view for 2 sec. He should have left it there, much better view point..
                          JP Majestic
                          3/4
                          57"
                          17oz
                          9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            I would like Terry to know, since I have been emailing Dr Dave I have ended up on his mailing list and have received one plugging a multiple DVD set about playing pool made by Dr Dave and Bob Jewett( who I must admit I had never heard of) so I think it's fair to say they see eye to eye on everything.
                            Most of the shots played on Dr Dave's videos are played by bob, who iirc was once national snooker champion and still capable of the odd upset in his 60s.

https://youtu.be/L1AQ21-oBmU

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              He put the camera at ariel view for 2 sec. He should have left it there, much better view point..
                              This clear enough?

https://youtu.be/uHf3o6FtNnQ

Comment

Most of the shots played on Dr Dave's videos are played by bob, who iirc was once national snooker champion and still capable of the odd upset in his 60s.

https://youtu.be/L1AQ21-oBmU
                                What's the rules on this, At 32mins, Bob is using the 3 ball as the break ball, misses but pots the 1 out the pack, like a plant, but picks the 1 back out and puts it on the spot( I think) and gives up the go, why is this a foul, or end of go? I take it you must pot your break ball as it seems ok to play a plant at any other time.
                                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                                X