Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    What's the rules on this, At 32mins, Bob is using the 3 ball as the break ball, misses but pots the 1 out the pack, like a plant, but picks the 1 back out and puts it on the spot( I think) and gives up the go, why is this a foul, or end of go? I take it you must pot your break ball as it seems ok to play a plant at any other time.
    Straight pool is call shot, so he called the three and missed it, end of shot, doesn't matter if anything else drops, or even if the 3 goes into a different pocket, you have to pot the ball nominated in the pocket nominated.

Comment

What's the rules on this, At 32mins, Bob is using the 3 ball as the break ball, misses but pots the 1 out the pack, like a plant, but picks the 1 back out and puts it on the spot( I think) and gives up the go, why is this a foul, or end of go? I take it you must pot your break ball as it seems ok to play a plant at any other time.
      From what I see he uses the plain white cue ball as the cue ball (not a numbered ball), he calls the 3 as to pot it but does not pot it, end of turn, and I assume the foul-potted ball is replaced on the spot.
      not that I know the rules for straight pool much
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Thanks Lads, didn't know it was called shot, that makes sense. I quite enjoyed that, I would have a game of that rather than normal pool.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
          The way they tie themselves in knots trying to convince themselves they are right is hilarious to watch - and a little troubling...
          I would appreciate if you showed a little courtesy and disagree with myself and vmax without the insults please.
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
            Lol says the man who doesn't/can't use side. Like I said a while back, you have so much to learn!
            Just to add, you said 45 degrees the first time, so I'm not sure you even know what you're talking about yourself!
            Just looked this up
            http://billiards.colostate.edu/image..._fractions.jpg
            I think you need to keep up old man
            As I said, you need to pay attention. I have said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN I use side all the time but unless I need to for positional play or to go around an intervening ball I don't use it if there's no cushion involved and I don't teach any of my new students all about side until they can deliver the cue straight. Would you please stop with the insults. Also, you and Reggie and Mr. (anonymous) Mr. Big have repeatedly called into question my abilities.

So how about you lot post your accomplishments at billiards so we can all see how proficient you all are at either snooker or pool. I have already asked Mr. B.S. put he hasn't put anything up, just continues to insult me.

I have also said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, please believe whatever you want to believe what with all the proof you have but don't try and convert everyone on here with all your exotic throw shots because they don't have much practical use in snooker outside of the intervening ball and holding position. Try that 90* cut on a pink ball into the other top pocket on a 6x12 and see how it goes, it's a lot easier on a 4x8 pool table.

So shoot me, I thought it was 30* but I see it's 14.5*. I still think it's a big ask to pot a 3/4 black ball off it's spot and hold the spot with the cueball UNLESS you use side and drag as j6uk said he does all the time. In none of the videos shown did I ever see an object ball take off at an angle of 165*5 degrees from the cueball, which would mean some kind of effect that can throw an object ball 15* from the initial contact point. Only with a kick could that happen.
            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 28 August 2017, 08:26 PM.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              As I said, you need to pay attention. I have said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN I use side all the time but unless I need to for positional play or to go around an intervening ball I don't use it if there's no cushion involved and I don't teach any of my new students all about side until they can deliver the cue straight. Would you please stop with the insults. Also, you and Reggie and Mr. (anonymous) Mr. Big have repeatedly called into question my abilities.

So how about you lot post your accomplishments at billiards so we can all see how proficient you all are at either snooker or pool. I have already asked Mr. B.S. put he hasn't put anything up, just continues to insult me.

I have also said OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, please believe whatever you want to believe what with all the proof you have but don't try and convert everyone on here with all your exotic throw shots because they don't have much practical use in snooker outside of the intervening ball and holding position. Try that 90* cut on a pink ball into the other top pocket on a 6x12 and see how it goes, it's a lot easier on a 4x8 pool table.
              I'd ask you to do a vid of Wilson's shot but given your ability to screw back 3ft, such a venture may be fraught with difficulties beyond snatch and time. :biggrin-new:

Comment

Eh!........ I can't make head nor tail of any of that,CIT Only happens on very thin cuts? Nope completely wrong, it happens on all cut shots, Every single one, no exceptions. Because of that fact you can use SIT to reduce it, just like the video shows( you did watch it didn't you? I don't get why you can't see what's going on during it)
                You think the CIT is the rolling across the ball shot, wrong, that's the only shot where it isnt happening. The quote you put up,is an explanation of how to stop CIT that's why it's hard, you haven't understood what's going on at all.
                You state Dr Dave says SIT doesn't effect the ob, wrong watch the video that's exactly what he says. He also states there is a small amount of spin transfer, which you still don't believe even though it's on the video.
                You state you have to be a pro to play it, again this is because you haven't understood what the quote is referring to that you posted up, you are away on a different subject again.
                Lastly you state Colorado uni and Dr Dave( he is the one teaching this at Colorado uni) state that it's swerve, where does he say that in the video.
                Honestly Terry just get in contact with Colorado uni, or your friend at MIT they will put you right in a few minutes, whether you chose to believe them is entirely up to you, but do you honestly think a physics prof at one uni will have different laws to follow than a physics prof at any other?
                I have also said over and over again, I don't care as I don't consciously use throw and get down on every cut shot and try and figure out how much throw there's going to be. If there was throw on every cut shot we would all have to figure out how much at each angle or we wouldn't pot a ball. I think most players use the 180* estimate when potting a ball. Is this perhaps the reason snooker players prefer dead-in pots over angled pots and pool players prefer angled pots on their smaller tables?
                Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
                  I'd ask you to do a vid of Wilson's shot but given your ability to screw back 3ft, such a venture may be fraught with difficulties beyond snatch and time. :biggrin-new:
                  More effing insults. I think you 3 are just trying to get my goat. I'm not going to bother even reading this string anymore since you 3 can't seem to make any sort of comment without insulting my abilities, my knowledge or my character. So pee off! (don't want to get barred for swearing though)
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

So shoot me, I thought it was 30* but I see it's 14.5*. I still think it's a big ask to pot a 3/4 black ball off it's spot and hold the spot with the cueball UNLESS you use side and drag as j6uk said he does all the time. In none of the videos shown did I ever see an object ball take off at an angle of 165*5 degrees from the cueball, which would mean some kind of effect that can throw an object ball 15* from the initial contact point. Only with a kick could that happen.
                    Teaching beginners and playing yourself are two different things.

I agree you wouldn't teach beginners this stuff as it would completely f#@k them up.
                    But someone like you who has been playing the game for decades not to use side when not using cushions I find quite baffling.

So do you agree a 3/4 shot is at an 14.5 degree angle then lol

Comment

More effing insults. I think you 3 are just trying to get my goat. I'm not going to bother even reading this string anymore since you 3 can't seem to make any sort of comment without insulting my abilities, my knowledge or my character. So pee off! (don't want to get barred for swearing though)
                      You really should not bother, Terry. Absolutely no need for insults and cheap sarcasm. Debate, yes, but they should leave out the school playground BS.

Shut shop up, buddy..
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

I have also said over and over again, I don't care as I don't consciously use throw and get down on every cut shot and try and figure out how much throw there's going to be. If there was throw on every cut shot we would all have to figure out how much at each angle or we wouldn't pot a ball. I think most players use the 180* estimate when potting a ball. Is this perhaps the reason snooker players prefer dead-in pots over angled pots and pool players prefer angled pots on their smaller tables?
                        We all do figure it out, on every cut shot, it comes with experience. What do you mean you don't consciously use throw? Throw happens on cut shots, on every cut shot, everyone compensates for it, you do I do, everyone does. I'm not a hundred percent sure you are on the same page as everyone else Terry. Throw is the fact if you hit the true plant position. You will miss thick, because the cue ball and ob push a little forward due to cling or gearing so the shot goes slightly thick,this is throw we all know this and we all compensate for it. All the spin does ( or helping side) is reduce this cling or push so it reduces the throw and makes the shot come off slightly thinner, that's all it is. Also I don't know any snooker player that prefers straight in pots, apart from absolute beginners. I much prefer shots with an angle, you can do so much more ,so much easier with the cue ball.
                        To be fair Terry I don't know what you mean by the 180 so maybe I'm missing something, maybe you could explain that to me.
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 28 August 2017, 08:50 PM.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

So do you agree a 3/4 shot is at an 14.5 degree angle then lol
                          Is that mandatory knowledge to execute the pot??...
                          JP Majestic
                          3/4
                          57"
                          17oz
                          9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                            Is that mandatory knowledge to execute the pot??...
                            It is when you are playing it full ball

Comment

And what's the point in that as I would miss the red as it now has left hand side on it which is the wrong side to pot it!
                              If you think the red swerved then you need your eyes tested mate. You can clearly see the red hold it's line.
                              Also you can just see the red fall into the left side of the pocket so don't give me that BS.
                              I'm not asking you to pot it but to make the same contact point playing with left hand side to show that the cue ball doesn't swerve. If you can make the same contact point using left hand side then obviously the cue ball doesn't swerve, so go ahead and play this shot and film it and post the video and prove to all of us that the cue ball doesn't swerve.

Where did I say any red swerved ?

Can't see the pocket let alone see a red drop into it, so where's your proof ?
                              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                                I'm not asking you to pot it but to make the same contact point playing with left hand side to show that the cue ball doesn't swerve. If you can make the same contact point using left hand side then obviously the cue ball doesn't swerve, so go ahead and play this shot and film it and post the video and prove to all of us that the cue ball doesn't swerve.

Where did I say any red swerved ?

Can't see the pocket let alone see a red drop into it, so where's your proof ?
                                Hilarious. 30-breaking fist-pumper who can't make simple position in line-up questions honesty of Travis, then demands new video with left hand side (even though Kyren Wilson never played it with left hand side!) from this quality player who can play side xfer with soft hands. Seriously, snatch and grab should learn some basic shots before professing a load of theory that they don't understand from experience or even science. Ridiculous pair.
                                Last edited by Little Reggie; 28 August 2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X