Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    See, I was sure I saw the CB curve back a bit on your pink shot, not much but I believe your pink may have been a combo of effects (who Knows?) with some SIT (but very minor) and some curve to get to the final straight line of the OB. This is why I'm looking for camera shots from behind the pocket because the Barry Stark one the CB definitely was curving towards BOB.
    If you use Kinovia on the vid you'll see for sure. My money's on the CB hitting the pink slightly on the left hand side

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      So a half ball black off the spot you are aiming dead centre of the pocket?again watch this video .i can't keep posting this up Terry, it's pretty simple stuff.
      https://youtu.be/CGsXQ1MvO9Q
      For goodness sakes, read what I posted! My positional requirements dictate whether I try to cheat the pocket so I could pot right or left of centre pocket although for the black ball I mostly aim for inside the side jaw. But keep in mind when I have a 1/4-ball black with my cueball level with the pink spot I just want to hit the damned pocket not a side of it. Also with cut-back blacks I just want to hit the pocket. For instance if your cueball is on the top cushion and 8" from the top pocket that's the in-off position for the side pocket so you have to use either top spin or a bit of side or else pass on the shot and play safe.

Snooker is a game with almost infinite choices and it's too difficult to say I play any one shot a standard way as the table conditions are always different.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
        Eg, Terry. The top spin with a bit of power and side ( whichever one you use LH or RH ) potting the black off its spot then to come off the top black cush to disturb the pack of reds is a tough one. Way harder than off the blue in to the pack..
        I agree, and it only works if the table has a bit of speed and even when I hit that shot solid with a lot of power and hit the pack where I wanted I'm surprized if I get another red to pot. With a 3/4 to 1/2-ball blue usually I can catch the pink dead on but sometimes I miscalculate and hit the side of the pack and go in-off which is a **** off as now the reds are all over the place.
        Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          I just wish to know the answer to a really important question if anyone can help me
          Eleven...

It's one louder.

Comment

Eg, Terry. The top spin with a bit of power and side ( whichever one you use LH or RH ) potting the black off its spot then to come off the top black cush to disturb the pack of reds is a tough one. Way harder than off the blue in to the pack..
            When using pace, I aim near knuckle when high on the black (using top cushion) & far knuckle when low

Comment

• Don't use side spin until you can make a 50 break.
              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Not ""a"" 50 break, you mean consistent breaks...
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

It's just like jonny66 says

"these go up to eleven" x

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Don't use side at all if you can avoid it... Game's hard enough

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                      Don't use side spin until you can make a 50 break.
                      You can if you've graduated from Dr Daves university with a masters degree in spin.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                        I will have a pop at answering this and (I may be wrong) but if the OB ball starts out on a deviation of natural angle due to not being 'geared' sent on the right line or hit correctly...it then obviously stays on that path and because the path is a further distance away on a snooker table because it is larger road to travel and may have imparted spin on it - by the time the OB reaches the pocket that small deviation from the outset has become a wider miss from the intended line of the shot. Therefore perhaps these small things these guys talk about - are actually important in a physics/collision theory or whatever it is called sense.

Basically they are correct - and you are too - A. physics plays a part in snooker as it does in the natural world - you cant deny this? and B. Its not really all that important to know this to play the game to a high level and they should realise this too

I have a question though - if someone could please help me this has troubled me for years and I would like to know the answer.
                        I assume the question comes later, but to draw equivalence between me and them is an absolute liberty. Dude, they AIN'T correct. They are wrong, emphatically, embarrassingly wrong.

They are not 'correct'. They are perfectly entitled to their opinions but they are factually incorrect.

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                          Eleven...

It's one louder.

Mate...

It's a fine line between...stupid and clever.

Learn it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                            Don't use side spin until you can make a 50 break.
                            What percentage of players have ever done that?

Actually, i can name them...

Comment

I usually use centre-ball top spin to come off the top cush to break the pack. I watched Jimmy White play one and the top spin actually curled the cueball into the pack but he hit it so hard the CB impact throw actually pushed the cueball back towards him a bit and then CB curled into the pack. Of course he had a choice of reds but on my table I'm lucky to get one. Of course Reggie would say I don't have the skill to play this shot so maybe I'm dreaming it all.
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                                What percentage of players have ever done that?

Actually, i can name them...
                                Well I have changed that 50 break thing to read when the student can deliver the cue straight consistently. That attribute is more likely in consistent 50 breakers though.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X