No announcement yet.

Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He is a bit of a troll. Arguments seem to float his boat. If he only could behave himself it would be kind of amusing but he has no style.

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
      Just catching up as I've been too busy to get on the forum.

So what happens when we use side on a snooker table. Have we actually got a definitive answer yet?

I'm having to play everything plain ball until I know what's going on. This is beyond a joke to be honest. How can I be expected to make an breaks when I don't even know what's happening to the cue ball when using side?
      When you use side cueball curves depending on amount of side and power. If you play an angled pot there is something called CIT (cut-induced throw) which supposedly happens all the time and our brains will automatically adapt to it, so you can ignore that one because it doesn't help at all.

There is another magical thing called SIT, spin-induced throw' which states we can induce throw on the object ball using spin on the cueball. Some on here swear this is what's happening but for me the jury is still out as I can get the exact same effect by playing side and drag or even just side with a low power to curve the cueball around an intervening ball to contact the OB and pot it. It takes practice to master this as demonstrated by Travis who missed his second attempted pink ball by over-cutting it. It seems logical pool players will use this more because of the cramped space and lack of choices for object balls plus the bigger pockets of course and perhaps even the bigger pool balls.

If you actually think about all of this in a conscious way you'll likely have to give up snooker and take up golf as there are no object balls in golf. It just does one's head in to consciously think of SIT where the experts (Dr. Dave and Mr. Big Shot) agree you can't get more than about 7* but Travis says he can get up to 15* or more as proven by his videos. vmax disagrees and says cueball is reaching BOB which is the theory I agree with and what I've been using with great success up to now without having to really think about it.

Conclusion...don't worry about it.
      Last edited by Terry Davidson; 8 September 2017, 12:25 PM.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
        I finally found a bit of form Wednesday and made an 82, I think in that break I played 2 shots with running side. One from the yellow to go into the pack and another on the black to swing round for the next red.
        All the others were played up and down the centre of the cue ball..... but what's wrong with that? Why is playing the correct shot boring? It makes the game easier.

Why do pool players constantly have to flaunt their ego's to snooker players, it's like small man syndrome, you know the guy who buys a monster truck and is only 4 ft tall and not particularly well endowed.
        Just because you play on a small table doesn't mean you have to be 'that guy'. I actually respect pool as a game, I play it now and again but ultimately it is infinitely easier to play than snooker.
        I appreciate you might have to play the odd bit of spin here and there but that's a doddle when the distance between CB and OB is 2 feet not 6ft as it could be on a snooker table.

Before anybody decides to doubt my credentials and say I know nothing about pool I've beaten the recent Irish champion at World Rules and I barely know the rules. Just rocked up and made break dish after break dish and i'm not
        even a particularly good snooker player.

sorry for the rant, it's Friday and I need a beer.
        Go and get your beer Tom as this is the best post so far I think. You'll have Mr. B.S. searching all over for you so he can be sure to never meet you in a match.
        Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by sealer View Post
          If he only could behave himself it would be kind of amusing but he has no style.
          Exactly.. Forums are for a debate and all his points could have been put across without the insults. In fact he would have gained far more by doing so but this, as we know, is not his style. He is a ""Billy no Mates of the forum"".

Terry took so much crap off the two of them and out of all this his come out on top, imo.
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
            I finally found a bit of form Wednesday and made an 82, I think in that break I played 2 shots with running side. One from the yellow to go into the pack and another on the black to swing round for the next red.
            All the others were played up and down the centre of the cue ball..... but what's wrong with that? Why is playing the correct shot boring? It makes the game easier.

Why do pool players constantly have to flaunt their ego's to snooker players, it's like small man syndrome, you know the guy who buys a monster truck and is only 4 ft tall and not particularly well endowed.
            Just because you play on a small table doesn't mean you have to be 'that guy'. I actually respect pool as a game, I play it now and again but ultimately it is infinitely easier to play than snooker.
            I appreciate you might have to play the odd bit of spin here and there but that's a doddle when the distance between CB and OB is 2 feet not 6ft as it could be on a snooker table.

Before anybody decides to doubt my credentials and say I know nothing about pool I've beaten the recent Irish champion at World Rules and I barely know the rules. Just rocked up and made break dish after break dish and i'm not
            even a particularly good snooker player.

sorry for the rant, it's Friday and I need a beer.
            Hahaha, have a beer on me, tom.

Thats a blinding post..:snooker:
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
              Exactly.. Forums are for a debate and all his points could have been put across without the insults. In fact he would have gained far more by doing so but this, as we know, is not his style. He is a ""Billy no Mates of the forum"".

Terry took so much crap off the two of them and out of all this his come out on top, imo.

Not sure how you think he came out on top!
              Vmax thread has been disproved simple as that.
              TD said he can't get the same reaction as me so the shot is pointless according to him.
              So does that make him right??

Many people can't screw the ball long distance like Trump can. Doesn't make the shot pointless though does it?
              Last edited by travisbickle; 8 September 2017, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post

Many people can't screw the ball long distance like Trump can. Doesn't make the shot pointless though does it?
                I agree its a handy tool to have. Trump does need that tool more often than some others though due to his CB running a bit lose at times.

Be it BS wrong or correct. He lost respect by his BS insults and sarcasm. And , yes, he does start it too with sarcastic remarks.

Flame me or MBS himself but the facts are the facts.

Put your point across of course but in the right context.
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                  Has there been a century of pages in a thread before? I make it 41 pages to go! Crack on guys there's tons of life left in the baby still. 🙃
                  Yep the lads have risen to the challenge previously. I have a side bet on this reaching a ton which should pay out handsomely as long as they keep the thread running sideways.

Comment

• Before anybody decides to doubt my credentials and say I know nothing about pool I've beaten the recent Irish champion at World Rules and I barely know the rules. Just rocked up and made break ish after break dish and i'm not even a particularly good snooker player.
                    You know what, Tom I forget things like this... good to have real people who really know each other on here, your testimony counts...

We don't play pool and yet we regularly play with about 5/6 internationals and often beat them.

Comment

• Yep the lads have risen to the challenge previously. I have a side bet on this reaching a ton which should pay out handsomely as long as they keep the thread running sideways.
                      But is it a 'transferable side' bet?

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                        Not sure how you think he came out on top!
                        Vmax thread has been disproved simple as that.
                        TD said he can't get the same reaction as me so the shot is pointless according to him.
                        So does that make him right??

Travis...what are you on about? I have said quite a few times that I can accomplish exactly the same shots as you can on a snooker table consistently with no problems. Pull up the post where I said what you say and reply to it because I don't remember it but I clearly remember saying I can do exactly the same thing but mostly choose not to unless the state of the table demands. For example, your pink ball shots I would probably take the blue into the middle to go into baulk and back to the top end of the table which is likely the best option for me because you yourself missed that pink.

Or do you say these things just so you can argue? I may not have Trump's skills as he is 45yrs younger than me. I managed to clear a few tables in my time but then again he doesn't do that every frame does he?
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          When you use side cueball curves depending on amount of side and power. If you play an angled pot there is something called CIT (cut-induced throw) which supposedly happens all the time and our brains will automatically adapt to it, so you can ignore that one because it doesn't help at all.

There is another magical thing called SIT, spin-induced throw' which states we can induce throw on the object ball using spin on the cueball. Some on here swear this is what's happening but for me the jury is still out as I can get the exact same effect by playing side and drag or even just side with a low power to curve the cueball around an intervening ball to contact the OB and pot it. It takes practice to master this as demonstrated by Travis who missed his second attempted pink ball by over-cutting it. It seems logical pool players will use this more because of the cramped space and lack of choices for object balls plus the bigger pockets of course and perhaps even the bigger pool balls.

If you actually think about all of this in a conscious way you'll likely have to give up snooker and take up golf as there are no object balls in golf. It just does one's head in to consciously think of SIT where the experts (Dr. Dave and Mr. Big Shot) agree you can't get more than about 7* but Travis says he can get up to 15* or more as proven by his videos. vmax disagrees and says cueball is reaching BOB which is the theory I agree with and what I've been using with great success up to now without having to really think about it.

Conclusion...don't worry about it.
                          bs and travis have been very clear but i don't really understand what you and vmax agree on? please can you explain what this means? cueball is reaching BOB?
                          or are you both still saying that the side on the white means that its contacted bob at the correct contact point to pot the ob?

-
                          Last edited by j6uk; 8 September 2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            bs and travis have been very clear but i don't really understand what you and vmax agree on? please can you explain what this means? cueball is reaching BOB?
                            or are you both still saying that the side on the white means that its contacted bob at the correct contact point to pot the ob?

-
                            I believe the cueball, if hit slow enough, curves into BOB and pots the ball where the opposite argument is the spin on the cueball induces throw on the OB and 'throws' it into the pocket. Your question regarding the 3/4 black ball and holding the spot to me would be you getting the cueball into the dead on position for the black as if the cueball strikes the black at any angle at all it wouldn't hold the spot.

However, I'm happy with whatever works and for me I can still get the same results but I choose to not use side/drag unless the situation on the table demands it (like for instance getting the cueball to a precise position if there are reds going to be in the way if you hit the black using centre-ball.) This situation is more likely to happen with a red or when in the colours when ideal position would be to hold the place where the OB was or there might be another ball blocking the next shot unless the CB remains in that same position.
                            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 8 September 2017, 02:43 PM.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

I believe the cueball, if hit slow enough, curves into BOB and pots the ball where the opposite argument is the spin on the cueball induces throw on the OB and 'throws' it into the pocket. Your question regarding the 3/4 black ball and holding the spot to me would be you getting the cueball into the dead on position for the black as if the cueball strikes the black at any angle at all it wouldn't hold the spot.

However, I'm happy with whatever works and for me I can still get the same results but I choose to not use side/drag unless the situation on the table demands it (like for instance getting the cueball to a precise position if there are reds going to be in the way if you hit the black using centre-ball.) This situation is more likely to happen with a red or when in the colours when ideal position would be to hold the place where the OB was or there might be another ball blocking the next shot unless the CB remains in that same position.
                              If you still think I'm hitting correct BOB then you're clearly not playing the same shot as me!

Comment

Hi Terry,

Sorry, is the above saying you will play side on a pot even if you are NOT going to use a cushion to come off at a different angle to get to the next OB?.

Cheers..
                                JP Majestic
                                3/4
                                57"
                                17oz
                                9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...
                                X