Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
    If you still think I'm hitting correct BOB then you're clearly not playing the same shot as me!
    But I still pot the ball the same as you so whatever is happening is working for both of us. Doesn't matter if it's BOB or OB throw.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
      Hi Terry,

Sorry, is the above saying you will play side on a pot even if you are NOT going to use a cushion to come off at a different angle to get to the next OB?.

Cheers..
      I will use side without a cushion to get around an intervening ball. I very rarely try and use side to hold the cueball by curling into the OB. When I say side without a cushion has very limited uses then that's exactly what I mean. Intervening ball shots (like Wilson's) come up rarely and are usually a result of poor CB control from the pot before. Even more rare is a shot where you have to replace the OB with the CB when it's an angled pot.

Yes, both have their uses and I have used them in the past but it all depends on the state of the table and the score at the time. To me the over-use of side when a cushion is not involved is taking an unnecessary risk, as shown by Wilson almost missing that red (the state of the table demand he either go for the pot or play safe) or as Travis showed by over-cutting that pink ball in his demo video.

For a player who hasn't yet reached the stage of delivering his cue straight using side excessively is dangerous. For accomplished players it can sometimes save a break or make a ball pottable.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I believe the cueball, if hit slow enough, curves into BOB and pots the ball where the opposite argument is the spin on the cueball induces throw on the OB and 'throws' it into the pocket. Your question regarding the 3/4 black ball and holding the spot to me would be you getting the cueball into the dead on position for the black as if the cueball strikes the black at any angle at all it wouldn't hold the spot.

However, I'm happy with whatever works and for me I can still get the same results but I choose to not use side/drag unless the situation on the table demands it (like for instance getting the cueball to a precise position if there are reds going to be in the way if you hit the black using centre-ball.) This situation is more likely to happen with a red or when in the colours when ideal position would be to hold the place where the OB was or there might be another ball blocking the next shot unless the CB remains in that same position.
        i though so, and on your snooker journey youve never come across or been able to straighten the ob up by going outside the center of the white? or you did and you where just doing it subconsciously and making shots?

Comment

• Intervening ball shots (like Wilson's) come up rarely and are usually a result of poor CB control from the pot before. Even more rare is a shot where you have to replace the OB with the CB when it's an angled pot
          I've stated many times that I believe that shot exists.

But, like Terry says, if you're using side for shots when you're not using a cushion... other than in that rare instance, you're a ****ing moron... Anyone who thinks the pros use side when they're not using a cushion... They're not and if you think that, you're also a ****ing moron.

i though so, and on your snooker journey youve never come across or been able to straighten the ob up by going outside the center of the white? or you did and you where just doing it subconsciously and making shots?
          Yes, exactly... that's the situation that exists... But it is very rare over the course of many frames that shot comes up... People on this thread are acting like it's a fundamental part of break building and it just isn't.

Comment

Exactly.. Forums are for a debate and all his points could have been put across without the insults. In fact he would have gained far more by doing so but this, as we know, is not his style. He is a ""Billy no Mates of the forum"".

Terry took so much crap off the two of them and out of all this his come out on top, imo.
            Lol.

Brilliant!

Comment

Terry, thats the best post so far on this string. So true and straight to the very valid point..

Imaging being married to that..:nightmare:
              I realise the missus is a jebo mate but please, don't imagine being married to me.

Comment

I agree its a handy tool to have. Trump does need that tool more often than some others though due to his CB running a bit lose at times.

Be it BS wrong or correct. He lost respect by his BS insults and sarcasm. And , yes, he does start it too with sarcastic remarks.

Flame me or MBS himself but the facts are the facts.

Put your point across of course but in the right context.
                Dude, i spent many years putting my point across, and all i got in return was abuse from the pitchfork brigade.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  You know what, Tom I forget things like this... good to have real people who really know each other on here, your testimony counts...

We don't play pool and yet we regularly play with about 5/6 internationals and often beat them.

Awww, tom and pottr. :couple_inlove: isn't love wonderful?

Comment

• Awww, tom and pottr. isn't love wonderful?
                    It is, you should try being awesome at cuesports too... It's really fun.

Comment

Yes, exactly... that's the situation that exists... But it is very rare over the course of many frames that shot comes up... People on this thread are acting like it's a fundamental part of break building and it just isn't.

well its been very much about can the od be affected by side from the white and if so how. and from what i can tell your very much on side with the logic from bs and travis right?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                        I wouldn't worry what vmax sees if i were you. He once said to me American pool cues could deflect up to half an inch lol. Yeah, that's why people pay 400 dollars for a revo, to eliminate a whole half inch of deflection!
                        Don't remember saying that, and what the hell do you mean anyway, they do deflect or they don't because if they don't then you either didn't watch the video, or did and saw something happening that you don't believe in.

No one has yet put up a video of the three shots that will prove me wrong so I'll state them again.

Set up a dead straight shot into a corner pocket at the top of the table, cueing from the yellow side, cue ball and OB three feet apart, dead in line with an intervening ball about 3mm in the way half way between them, the Wilson shot as it's become known.
                        Shot one
                        Pot the OB using right hand side (spinning with the nap) to miss the intervening ball.
                        Shot two
                        Set up exactly the same shot but hit the same contact point on the OB striking centre cue ball as you did using right hand side to make the pot.
                        Shot three
                        Set up exactly the same shot but hit the same contact point using left hand side as you did using right hand side to make the pot.

All three shots to be played at the same pace.

Travis reckons he can do all three but won't put up a video.
                        Travis also states that he can miss the intervening ball by the thicknes of a pound coin striking centre cue ball and make the same contact on the OB as he can using right hand side, but then again he does make two or three centuries a week so is a far better player than me.

I've tried it and can pot the OB with right hand side, can't hit the same contact point centre cue ball, and just nick it or miss it altogether with left hand side despite compensating my aiming for the opposite deflection of the cue ball to miss the intervening ball by a hair, let alone the thickness of a pound coin. Bloody tough shot to judge that one as its something that you never do.

What I'd really like to see is biggie having a go with his newly overhauled cue :devilish:

Brand new hand made cue for anyone who can, and I won't duck out, I've already made it and put it aside.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I've stated many times that I believe that shot exists.

But, like Terry says, if you're using side for shots when you're not using a cushion... other than in that rare instance, you're a ****ing moron... Anyone who thinks the pros use side when they're not using a cushion... They're not and if you think that, you're also a ****ing moron.

Who is doing that? That is your reading of events. No one has said it's a fundamental part of break building.

All we are doing is describing what actually happens when balls collide. Period.

And as for effing morons, you'd better put Ebdon and Murphy in that bracket, as they say Ronnie plays with side on every shot.

Comment

It is, you should try being awesome at cuesports too... It's really fun.
                            When you doing your live stream? I need to learn how to play, and who better to learn from than someone with one - count them - one maximum?

I want to see a 4 pack at both 9 ball and English 8 ball. Should be easy enough, correct?

Comment

• Yeah, I'm onside with the logic... They're still bashing **** out of me on the thread though which is why I keep replying coz it's funny.

100% believe it's a shot I have control over and 100% believe I have played it before. Think I have stated that on the thread earlier?

I am also willing to admit that it might not exist and it might be an unconscious feeling I have when a ball is very close to either potting or not... My eyes aren't what they used to be that's for sure.

Terry and I actually had this very debate on the forum 4/5 years ago about this very shot and we concluded with an 'agree to disagree' position... It was all very amicable and productive and over in about 5 pages...

It's nothing new... all the topics get recycled... Next month it will be 'Where am I looking?' month after that 'Ronnie said this OMG'... then this swerve bollocks x

Comment

• And as for effing morons, you'd better put Ebdon and Murphy in that bracket, as they say Ronnie plays with side on every shot.
                                Ronnie O Sullivan is a complete ****ing moron... An absolute spoilt brat, couldn't give a **** what he says about anything.

Never met Peter Ebdon, great player... wouldn't want to listen to him though as his action isn't the easiest to replicate...

Shaun Murphy is a gent and a phenomenal cueist... He also thinks he solved the kick riddle and believes in the existence of Christ, I disagree.

I want to see a 4 pack at both 9 ball and English 8 ball. Should be easy enough, correct?
                                Would you care to make this interesting? Money in an escrow? A grand? It would be seriously easy money.

I'll need to do it in November though... My better halves parents are coming over from SA for a month on sunday and then we're off to the canaries for a fortnight.

Come on HMBS, show us your bollocks? x

P.S One more maximum that you'll ever make.
                                Last edited by pottr; 8 September 2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X