• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
    But is it a 'transferable side' bet?
    Damm you pottr, I feel another thread coming on

Comment

• Sorry... this one still has some legs in it I'm sure.

Although I finish work in half hour so I'll be dark until later tonight x

Comment

Yeah, I'm onside with the logic... They're still bashing **** out of me on the thread though which is why I keep replying coz it's funny.

100% believe it's a shot I have control over and 100% believe I have played it before. Think I have stated that on the thread earlier?

I am also willing to admit that it might not exist and it might be an unconscious feeling I have when a ball is very close to either potting or not... My eyes aren't what they used to be that's for sure.

Terry and I actually had this very debate on the forum 4/5 years ago about this very shot and we concluded with an 'agree to disagree' position... It was all very amicable and productive and over in about 5 pages...

It's nothing new... all the topics get recycled... Next month it will be 'Where am I looking?' month after that 'Ronnie said this OMG'... then this swerve bollocks x
        My memory must be going as I don't remember having a discussion about side, either transferred or otherwise with you ('oldtimer's disease?'). I still believe an OB can be potted with an intervening ball present at a narrow margin by using the opposite throw on a CB by using side, not hitting the CB too hard (or drag maybe) and have the CB swing back to pot the OB. Any decent player has done this many times. Whether it actually contacts BOB or some other spot on the OB doesn't matter as long as it can be repeated.

I'm sure the theory is with side on the CB it clings to the OB for a slightly longer time and alters the path the OB takes. However this is the definition of a kick, albeit a small one and even Dr. Dave the OB Throw Guru states this. So it we're generating kicks with all of these shots then by definition they are dangerous but they're nice and satisfying when you pot the OB.

Don't give a rat's ass why it happens, just that it does and I can control it. I just find it hard to believe we are purposely using a kick to pot the OB. In addition to this the effect can only be controlled for close shots and is dangerous for longer pots unless the OB is over a pocket. Wilson's shot did look like he got a small kick and he almost missed the red.
        Last edited by Terry Davidson; 8 September 2017, 05:34 PM.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

That term of 'generating kicks' might actually be what happens.

Vmax will remember me claiming that pros make tight pockets look bigger coz they hit the white cleaner...

Both theories would seem to support each other if applied.

I think this thread is a case of everyone actually agreeing on the topic but in a roundabout way with the description of our journeys to our own conclusion, causing us to disagree?
          Last edited by pottr; 8 September 2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm onside with the logic... They're still bashing **** out of me on the thread though which is why I keep replying coz it's funny.

100% believe it's a shot I have control over and 100% believe I have played it before. Think I have stated that on the thread earlier?

I am also willing to admit that it might not exist and it might be an unconscious feeling I have when a ball is very close to either potting or not... My eyes aren't what they used to be that's for sure.

Terry and I actually had this very debate on the forum 4/5 years ago about this very shot and we concluded with an 'agree to disagree' position... It was all very amicable and productive and over in about 5 pages...

It's nothing new... all the topics get recycled... Next month it will be 'Where am I looking?' month after that 'Ronnie said this OMG'... then this swerve bollocks x
            Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            Ronnie O Sullivan is a complete ****ing moron... An absolute spoilt brat, couldn't give a **** what he says about anything.

Never met Peter Ebdon, great player... wouldn't want to listen to him though as his action isn't the easiest to replicate...

Shaun Murphy is a gent and a phenomenal cueist... He also thinks he solved the kick riddle and believes in the existence of Christ, I disagree.

Would you care to make this interesting? Money in an escrow? A grand? It would be seriously easy money.

I'll need to do it in November though... My better halves parents are coming over from SA for a month on sunday and then we're off to the canaries for a fortnight.

Come on HMBS, show us your bollocks? x

P.S One more maximum that you'll ever make.

You may be able to save others as well as yourself alots of trouble if you actually read what others said early in this thread too ??
            Most of your statements have nothing to do with this thread and are off the topic.

And NO, ROS is not a moron.
            He is a legend and very kind person.
            abit more respect for pro players can do no harm, though.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
              Don't remember saying that, and what the hell do you mean anyway, they do deflect or they don't because if they don't then you either didn't watch the video, or did and saw something happening that you don't believe in.

No one has yet put up a video of the three shots that will prove me wrong so I'll state them again.

Set up a dead straight shot into a corner pocket at the top of the table, cueing from the yellow side, cue ball and OB three feet apart, dead in line with an intervening ball about 3mm in the way half way between them, the Wilson shot as it's become known.
              Shot one
              Pot the OB using right hand side (spinning with the nap) to miss the intervening ball.
              Shot two
              Set up exactly the same shot but hit the same contact point on the OB striking centre cue ball as you did using right hand side to make the pot.
              Shot three
              Set up exactly the same shot but hit the same contact point using left hand side as you did using right hand side to make the pot.

All three shots to be played at the same pace.

Travis reckons he can do all three but won't put up a video.
              Travis also states that he can miss the intervening ball by the thicknes of a pound coin striking centre cue ball and make the same contact on the OB as he can using right hand side, but then again he does make two or three centuries a week so is a far better player than me.

I've tried it and can pot the OB with right hand side, can't hit the same contact point centre cue ball, and just nick it or miss it altogether with left hand side despite compensating my aiming for the opposite deflection of the cue ball to miss the intervening ball by a hair, let alone the thickness of a pound coin. Bloody tough shot to judge that one as its something that you never do.

What I'd really like to see is biggie having a go with his newly overhauled cue :devilish:

Brand new hand made cue for anyone who can, and I won't duck out, I've already made it and put it aside.
              All cues deflect, even the revo. Deflection is a by-product of physics, as is spin induced throw. The way to reduce deflection is to reduce the mass at the tip end - again, physics.

Anyway, here is the good doctor's analysis. Skip to the end after the intro. The predator Z2 is just about the lowest deflecting shaft, more so than the revo.

https://youtu.be/nx4r0NSsxqo

Comment

Would be boring if I paid attention, bro.

I don't like ROS. When I met him, though he was an abrupt, boring dork.

Absolutely respect him as a pro... just not as a person.

I am entitled to my opinion, doesn't mean you have to listen to or even agree with it.

I don't agree with the rabble who suck him off everytime he says something controversial and wish he gave the game that made him famous and rich a bit more encouragement and respect.

He is a **** poor ambassador for the sport and I find him petulant to listen to.

That said... he owes me or anyone absolutely sweet FA. If he doesn't feel obligated to try harder then that's fair enough.

He's given a lot of his life to snooker and has played it to a standard of the n'th degree
                Last edited by pottr; 8 September 2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Ronnie O Sullivan is a complete ****ing moron... An absolute spoilt brat, couldn't give a **** what he says about anything.

Never met Peter Ebdon, great player... wouldn't want to listen to him though as his action isn't the easiest to replicate...

Shaun Murphy is a gent and a phenomenal cueist... He also thinks he solved the kick riddle and believes in the existence of Christ, I disagree.

Would you care to make this interesting? Money in an escrow? A grand? It would be seriously easy money.

I'll need to do it in November though... My better halves parents are coming over from SA for a month on sunday and then we're off to the canaries for a fortnight.

Would be boring if I paid attention, bro.

I don't like ROS. When I met him, though he was an abrupt, boring dork.

Absolutely respect him as a pro... just not as a person.

I am entitled to my opinion, doesn't mean you have to listen to or even agree with it.

I don't like the rabble who suck him off everytime he says something controversial and wish he gave the game that made him famous and rich a bit more encouragement and respect.

He is a **** poor ambassador for the sport and I find him petulant to listen to.

That said... he owes me or anyone absolutely sweet FA. If he doesn't feel obligated to try harder then that's fair enough.

He's given a lot of his life to snooker and has played it to a standard of the n'th degree
                  You do'nt like him or not supporting him ,, is not the same as insulting him. These are two different things.
                  Just bcuz you do'nt like someone does'nt gives you the right to insult him .
                  Ronni is not here to defend himself neither he did insult you . And as far as i know he has'nt force you or anyone else to use side in every shot. Did he ?

So Please, get your shts together and give it a thought.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                    Don't remember saying that, and what the hell do you mean anyway, they do deflect or they don't because if they don't then you either didn't watch the video, or did and saw something happening that you don't believe in.

No one has yet put up a video of the three shots that will prove me wrong so I'll state them again.

Set up a dead straight shot into a corner pocket at the top of the table, cueing from the yellow side, cue ball and OB three feet apart, dead in line with an intervening ball about 3mm in the way half way between them, the Wilson shot as it's become known.
                    Shot one
                    Pot the OB using right hand side (spinning with the nap) to miss the intervening ball.
                    Shot two
                    Set up exactly the same shot but hit the same contact point on the OB striking centre cue ball as you did using right hand side to make the pot.
                    Shot three
                    Set up exactly the same shot but hit the same contact point using left hand side as you did using right hand side to make the pot.

All three shots to be played at the same pace.

Travis reckons he can do all three but won't put up a video.
                    Travis also states that he can miss the intervening ball by the thicknes of a pound coin striking centre cue ball and make the same contact on the OB as he can using right hand side, but then again he does make two or three centuries a week so is a far better player than me.

I've tried it and can pot the OB with right hand side, can't hit the same contact point centre cue ball, and just nick it or miss it altogether with left hand side despite compensating my aiming for the opposite deflection of the cue ball to miss the intervening ball by a hair, let alone the thickness of a pound coin. Bloody tough shot to judge that one as its something that you never do.

What I'd really like to see is biggie having a go with his newly overhauled cue :devilish:

Brand new hand made cue for anyone who can, and I won't duck out, I've already made it and put it aside.
                    Found it, in another car crash thread. Same siht, different day.

What a load of old bollocks. I played pool for ten years before taking up snooker, learned on the old Alco tables with big balls and the larger cue ball and tight pockets too, played with side no trouble at all using a centre jointed two piece ramin cue from a Kays catalogue. Those american nine ball tables with their five inch wide pockets are easy as hell to pot balls on, christ sakes the cue ball can deflect half an inch and you will still make the pot when close to an open pocket.

The fact that Dr. bloody Dave even mentions these low deflection cues is a sure sign he's marketing them and taking a cut for it.

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ighlight=Ramin

Comment

You know what, lad

I'll say what I want, about any subject I choose to and in any manner I feel fit.

You do feel free to do the same.

The job of Thought Police doesn't pay very well x

Comment

Seriously disappointed in the one maxi mate. You way you talk, i was expecting one a day, at least.

I don't gamble but if i did I'd take it in a heart beat. I wouldn't throw that bet out to all if i were you.

I'm sure Ronnie, ebbo and Murphy speak highly of you, too.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          My memory must be going as I don't remember having a discussion about side, either transferred or otherwise with you ('oldtimer's disease?'). I still believe an OB can be potted with an intervening ball present at a narrow margin by using the opposite throw on a CB by using side, not hitting the CB too hard (or drag maybe) and have the CB swing back to pot the OB. Any decent player has done this many times. Whether it actually contacts BOB or some other spot on the OB doesn't matter as long as it can be repeated.

I'm sure the theory is with side on the CB it clings to the OB for a slightly longer time and alters the path the OB takes. However this is the definition of a kick, albeit a small one and even Dr. Dave the OB Throw Guru states this. So it we're generating kicks with all of these shots then by definition they are dangerous but they're nice and satisfying when you pot the OB.

Don't give a rat's ass why it happens, just that it does and I can control it. I just find it hard to believe we are purposely using a kick to pot the OB. In addition to this the effect can only be controlled for close shots and is dangerous for longer pots unless the OB is over a pocket. Wilson's shot did look like he got a small kick and he almost missed the red.
                          Please stop going on about kicks. You're the only one that does. Where on earth are you getting the idea dr dave says this is a kick? This is an example of fake news - Hendry and Taylor said it about the wilson shot - wrongly - and now even the science guys are saying it, apparently!

SIT happens on every shot, to a greater or lessor degree. A kick is an entirely different thing.

Comment

You know what, lad

I'll say what I want, about any subject I choose to and in any manner I feel fit.

You do feel free to do the same.

The job of Thought Police doesn't pay very well x
                            Well in that case ,

lay your lazy bitch down in pram for Christ sakes and start making sense would ya !!

Bcuz This way we might learn something here.

Although, I doubt you would.

Get sum rest friend , looks like you need it .

Comment

They don't know who I am, HMBS.

You brought them up, not me.

Bet you would lose. I am proud of my one maxi

Ramon... peace and good will to you. I like ya.

Comment

• [QUOTE=pottr;938953]They don't know who I am, HMBS.

You brought them up, not me.

Bet you would lose. I am proud of my one maxi

Ramon... peace and good will to you. I like ya.[/QUOTE]

do you realy think I do'nt know what kind of player you are??
                                Do you realy think i do'nt realize how important your contributions to this forum is ? what's a matter with ya ?
                                Well, I do.
                                I enjoy your posts/your knowledge regarding snooker/
                                And gusse what? I have no problem with anyone who is expressing his opinion.
                                Your behaviour and the way you're talking about snooker,( as one of the best players in TSF ), has influence on the behaviour of a poor player like me and many other players around the world who are reading this forum.
                                As a decent player you should know that.
                                Just bcuz i do'nt like you, does'nt give me the right to insult you.
                                And this is my opinion.
                                Now, I'm not your father / friend / neither i'm in a position force you to do something .
                                Just as your fellow member, ( and belive it or not , as well as one your fans here) asked you to give it a thought. That's all !!

And you diss me again , I'll kick your arse!!

Comment

Working...
                                X