No announcement yet.

Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a. so high on a 1/2b black using helping side do you still make the pot if you actually contact bob at 1/2b?
    b. or do you aim and contact a little thicker?
    c. or maybe you aim thick but it curves onto bob at 1/2b?
    Pretty interesting way to analyse it...

I guess the honest answer for me is that I don't really know whilst I'm doing it. Naturally, desired position governs how you might want to take the shot, but assuming there was no positional concern I would likely play the black with a trace of side.

But I put that trace of side on the white out of habit, to help control the white into the area of the table I want it to land in. That doesn't mean that it doesn't help the black shift into the sweet spot of the pocket.

It's got me thinking a bit now... the long and short of it is that I've played the shot thousands of times to the desired effect so what happens doesn't really give me any cause to think about it... Bit like the stance and grip, etc... it's just unconscious.

P.S I love the hate I'm getting for my ONE maximum break... Was on this forum for years with a high break of 144 and no one ever used it as a means to attack me... Add three points to that total and it's grounds for ridicule x

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      Pretty interesting way to analyse it...

I guess the honest answer for me is that I don't really know whilst I'm doing it. Naturally, desired position governs how you might want to take the shot, but assuming there was no positional concern I would likely play the black with a trace of side.

But I put that trace of side on the white out of habit, to help control the white into the area of the table I want it to land in. That doesn't mean that it doesn't help the black shift into the sweet spot of the pocket.

It's got me thinking a bit now... the long and short of it is that I've played the shot thousands of times to the desired effect so what happens doesn't really give me any cause to think about it... Bit like the stance and grip, etc... it's just unconscious.

P.S I love the hate I'm getting for my ONE maximum break... Was on this forum for years with a high break of 144 and no one ever used it as a means to attack me... Add three points to that total and it's grounds for ridicule x
      didnt now you maxed, nice one.. two more one against a top pro in a muck about sesh and youll be up there with ye ol mate tel. got the table have you got the time.

Comment

• Up to one and a half, lol...

I made a fake maximum (frame against myself from the first long red) and then had one against my lad months later... Apart from the nervy feeling around 3/4 reds left I felt fine... Pink kicked slightly and looked like it might rest in the jaw but it had enough pace.

The one in the frame against myself had a few tricky shots including an in and out of baulk... I know it doesn't count, but I have played hundreds of frames against myself before and never made a maximum so I was still thrilled to bits.

two more one against a top pro in a muck about sesh and youll be up there with ye ol mate tel. got the table have you got the time
        I am starting to get the time, life is settling down... but my right leg is literally weaker and weaker every day... Managing my pain dictates the amount I can play.

I did take 8/9 reds and blacks against Wakelin on his table once, only to chip the white over the next red and off the table playing a screw shot.

My best chance of a really special one was against TSF's very own Tom Walker.
        I missed an easy pink into the corner for 100 with 3 reds left... Nailed the free ball brown into the middle pocket and smashed into the pack to split them.

The frame before, Tom had taken 8/9 reds with blacks and then decided to play up for the blue to secure the frame... He genuinely had no idea he was on the maximum break! Very funny session... Was high quality stuff.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
          You can hardly see the red, outline of both balls are very obscure and as a regular century break maker you know the difference between making a ball and missing is very fine. Nice try though travis and if your lines weren't placed off the line of aim on an angled pot to deliberately deceive then I'd take you seriously, but you're proving to be a shyster.

The swerve means the cue ball is approaching BOB from a slightly different line, that and the reaction of the spin on the cue ball gripping the cloth makes it look like the OB is throwing. It's very small at low pace and compensating your aiming on a straight shot means choosing one jaw of the pocket or another to make the pot and hold the cue ball better, you're simply altering the angle of the line of aim. A tiny bit too hard or soft and it doesn't happen.
          Take a look at the predator shaft video I linked to and see how the cue ball first deflects, the spin then grips the cloth and cue ball travels forward on a different line before curving slightly as it slows down. You compensate your aiming to allow for this and you have to judge the pace on a pocket weight shot so that the cue ball curves onto BOB or near enough to BOB to make the OB into the side of the pocket.

a) & c) and you compensate your aiming to allow for the slight curve differently, it's probably subconscious for you by now.
          b) is when you get a bad contact

What is your standard Ramon ? You have described yourself as a poor player, and by what you have posted above it looks like you are the one who doesn't understand what happens when side is applied to the cue ball. The cue ball swerves every single time that side is applied, saying that a swerve shot and a side shot are different really shows your ignorance, one is simply more extreme than the other. You can play an extreme swerve by striking harder and raising the butt of the cue but then the cue ball will end up somewhere you don't want it to be so instead you play it softly at pocket weight to stay in control of the cue ball. With the Wilson shot, he could have compensated his aiming to miss the pink by more than he did, played it harder and swerved it more but the cue ball would have ended up on the top cushion with no colour to go for. As it was he played the shot poorly, didn't swerve the cue ball enough and got lucky with a kick.
          To take this as a perfect example is what's keeping this argument going, he got a kick plain as day, Hendry saw it and heard it and called it correctly and Wilson himself had the cue ball cleaned because of it.

Unfortunately, what you do not understand is what somebody's standard is or doing it without been aware of it , completely irrelevant to this topic
          . Your logic is, like someone who says, I can not play the scrwback shot the way JT does, so therefor it can'nt be done. Well, this is just about the biggest nonsense I've ever heard of .

And yeah , i'm a very very very poor player .
          HB : 16

Comment

Up to one and a half, lol...

I made a fake maximum (frame against myself from the first long red) and then had one against my lad months later... Apart from the nervy feeling around 3/4 reds left I felt fine... Pink kicked slightly and looked like it might rest in the jaw but it had enough pace.

The one in the frame against myself had a few tricky shots including an in and out of baulk... I know it doesn't count, but I have played hundreds of frames against myself before and never made a maximum so I was still thrilled to bits.

I am starting to get the time, life is settling down... but my right leg is literally weaker and weaker every day... Managing my pain dictates the amount I can play.

I did take 8/9 reds and blacks against Wakelin on his table once, only to chip the white over the next red and off the table playing a screw shot.

My best chance of a really special one was against TSF's very own Tom Walker.
            I missed an easy pink into the corner for 100 with 3 reds left... Nailed the free ball brown into the middle pocket and smashed into the pack to split them.

The frame before, Tom had taken 8/9 reds with blacks and then decided to play up for the blue to secure the frame... He genuinely had no idea he was on the maximum break! Very funny session... Was high quality stuff.
            i know this is only a 146 but this is how i imagine terrys mad max in that muckabout sesh with the chaperon. sprightly tel at 40+ letting his arm go and owning the match table, smashing them in with contempt.

Comment

• Never seen that before... That's funny.

Comment

• @ Vmax

You can also contact this guy and ask him about this matter.
                He may be able to tell you more than you imagine .
                Do it for your own sake my friend , not mine !!

BTW , His H break is : 24

Comment

• He makes those pockets look massive. Class act.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                    Of course BOB is the correct shot most of the time, I've never said it wasn't.

But there is not a snooker/pool player in the world who can consistently put the CB where he wants all the time.
                    That's where the subtle version of this shot is very handy and I can't imagine any top player who doesn't use it.

Plus if you find yourself semi snookered like Selby/Wilson were I'd much rather play the shot they were playing then trying to swerve the CB onto the correct BOB that's for sure.

But hey each to their own I guess.
                    Like you keep saying to us, whatever works for you is good.
                    No one was talking to you Travis but you have to butt in don't you?
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      No one was talking to you Travis but you have to butt in don't you?
                      You talkin to me?

Comment

• You talkin to me?
                        HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't see anyone else around here?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                          Good morning Terry ,

Sometimes there is no room for CB to curve . Hence using side can be useful.
                          ( see the vid J6 and travis uploaded ).

*What you and Vmax are describing ( in many of your posts ) , is happening when you play a swerve shot.
                          Playing a shot with side is no diff shot comperd to playing any other shot .
                          You gonna have to cue stright and effortless .
                          *the less power / the better timing / the more spin you create. and the effect would be more noticeable.

*Unfortunately, you consider this as sum kind of attack towards your knowledge and experience. believe me, it's not .

Even pros have sometimes struggled with playing this kind of shots. especially during the match under pressure.

let me ask you a question , is every scrwback shot you play , a perfect shot ?
                          Well , it's the same with using side .
                          I think you need to pay attention Ramon and understand what you're talking about or replying to. We are talking here of very slow shots with tons of side and most with drag. For goodness sake man, it's common knowledge that a power shot with side will initially deflect and is moving too fast for the side to take any effect on the cueball so it stays on its initial line. I play plenty of these shots as almost every power shot I play has a little bit of left side on the CB.

But when we play shots like the Barry Stark video on the blue where he's going around a ball or the Travis one where there's an intervening ball then the shots have to be played slow in order for the side to grab. I do not consider this an attack on my knowledge as it's just a few people like yourself and a few others who don't really grasp what's happening with side where there are no cushions involved. They and you are saying they are experts and that I know nothing but I play these shots all the time and always have done and I know what I'm talking about.

Can you explain why when an angled pot, say a 7/8-ball is hit with extreme side and high power we see absolutely no SIT however under those 2 conditions it should be at maximum. If SIT truly exists then it is just a very small part of the complete energy transfer to the OB. (Maximum power transfer takes place at full-ball and minimum at 90* cut). Answer this question and you'll get a Nobel Prize from Travis. (Travis, you are not required to answer this as I'm talking to Ramon who seems a little lost).
                          Last edited by Terry Davidson; 11 September 2017, 12:28 PM.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            i know this is only a 146 but this is how i imagine terrys mad max in that muckabout sesh with the chaperon. sprightly tel at 40+ letting his arm go and owning the match table, smashing them in with contempt.

Actually not that good. If you remember we had our 'discussion' which started when you couldn't understand why I didn't go for a 147 all the time I practiced with the line-up, which kick off our discussion and I stated I had only had 3 x 147 but the first one was in practice by myself, so was the second and the third was against an opponent but not in a match. I don't count breaks done in solo practice no matter how high they are, but like pottr I would love to run more in solo practice anyway, just for some more confidence. The best I've done lately was a 102 the other day and an 87 the day after(not line-up) but those are nothing to brag about. For me it's the endurance now as I have 3 frames by myself and I'm beat but I keep telling myself that I'm taking all the shots so that's like 6 frames practice.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I don't see anyone else around here?
                              It was to Ramon actually who always seems to have an opinion but seems to be lacking some of the required knowledge and experience of an accomplished snooker player. In answer to Travis...NO!!!
                              Terry Davidson

Comment

• Actually I look forward to seeing this string every morning because for some reason I only get one or two emails on the posts, don't know what the problem is. Travis and Biggy and even Reggie have kept me using my brain and experimenting with shots down on my table to answer some of their posts. I read Biggy but am actively trying to ignore him as considering the source his remarks carry little weight. Interesting tidbit regarding 1835 and all that so snooker players and pool players have been arguing this same topic for 182 years and still haven't finally solved it.

When the next Worlds is on and they ask for questions I think I will ask Davis and Parrot what they can do with the hi-speed camera to prove or disprove. When I think about CIT & SIT I suspect what is being seen is actually all CIT because SIT disappears or goes somewhere when you use a hi-power shot. According to physics it can't go anywhere but into the OB but there is no discernible effect when hi-power and max spin is used. If it's not apparant then I think it's someone's wet dream or a matter of trying to impress people with one's superior knowledge in order to make them feel smaller. That's certainly what I've felt like with some of the insults towards me posted. Even Ramon insults me now and again based on his vast knowledge obtained through watching videos I guess.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X