Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    Dude, you need to stop this. It was cringe ages ago - it is now getting surreal.

Tell me, using your court example, who has more credibility in cue sports than dr dave?

You? Vmax?
    All we see from Dr. Dave are some videos which actually never show the whole shot (the videos with the hi-speed camera that is). We see maybe 3" of cueball travel and 4" of object ball travel. I believe Dr. Dave is making some mistaken assumptions (what are his qualifications by the way? Does he have a Ph.D. in billiard physics?) However I talked to a very good pool player today and he plays both snooker and pool well (he won $13K on a 9-ball tourney awhile ago) and he believes SIT does take place on a pool table in small amounts but says he's never seen it on a snooker table. He is a century breaker so he knows what he's talking about but then again you said Hendry doesn't know what he's talking about. Maybe it's time you tried out your theories on a snooker table with a good nap and see if you get the same results. I don't have my pool table anymore so I can't as the nearest pool table is 25m away and I can't be arsed.

On the other hand we can wait for pottr to post his videos (if he is ever able to that is)
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
      Come on, wheres the video?
      Tel's dog must be on its last legs by now:biggrin-new:
      The dog is fine as he's a hardy breed but I might die of old age before pottr gets his videos posted.
      Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        The dog is fine as he's a hardy breed but I might die of old age before pottr gets his videos posted.
        Its done with, Tel. He would have smashed the ipad up by now..
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Football's finished and I have been informed there is little to no chance of me engaging in sexual intercourse...

So I will sort the video tonight

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            Football's finished and I have been informed there is little to no chance of me engaging in sexual intercourse...

So I will sort the video tonight
            WAY too much info there pottr.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

I'm not frustrated about SIT but I am definitely frustrated with you. All I did was disagree with BS, Travis and Reggie and it was like I said the earth is flat or something. This is a FORUM and people can disagree and as for me not acting like a coach I'm not a coach on here unless I'm asked, just an ordinary guy who has opinions which other people like to disparage).

Travis' video shows the cueball cutting across the OB (it went left then right) and it actually hit the OB from left to right and that is obvious from the video. It may have been a valid assumption in 1835 and today it MAY be a valid assumption using pool conditions but as for on a snooker table with a smooth nap I believe there is so little SIT it doesn't count and what we are really seeing is Impact Throw which has been re-named by the enthusiasts on here as Cut Induced Throw. Impact throw or CIT does exist and increases with power but doesn't increase with spin. Snooker players have known of this for decades but you can't get more than about 2* with it. Watch Nic Barrow's video with the board and you'll see when he shoots harder there's more OB throw but still a very small amount.

The statement made was 'I can get 15* or more with SIT. I disagree with that statement. The statement was 'SIT disappears when you use more power' and I disagree with that since the effect should be greater with more spin and more power and the analogy of a broom on ice is a red herring and I disagree with that. (Good god Mabel, he's saying the sky is falling!)

Ramon...please go back and post all those interesting videos you do very well and quit criticizing my behaviour on here because it's none of your business and you are not a Moderator as far as I can tell, but it seems you like to play at it. You can freely disagree with me on anything but at least use some valid theories to do so.
              you neither.
              Even if you were a mod,* you have no right to push big shot or any one else to give his name or identity.
              Or use it against him.
              I'm not telling you this bcuz i'm a mod ( no i'm not ) .
              I'm telling you this bcuz it's a right thing to do.
              As for your disagreement , i have no problem with that .
              *as far as i can see, you're chasing ghosts. not realizing the ghost does'nt exist. only in disnyland. not in snooker world.

But feel free to disagree and goodluck with your ..... well , whatever you do.

Btw , i do'nt give a monkey about the mods .

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

Hahahaha,,, Im telling ""Bid Bad Dean""
                JP Majestic
                3/4
                57"
                17oz
                9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Big Brother is watching
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

you neither.
                    Even if you were a mod,* you have no right to push big shot or any one else to give his name or identity.
                    Or use it against him.
                    I'm not telling you this bcuz i'm a mod ( no i'm not ) .
                    I'm telling you this bcuz it's a right thing to do.
                    As for your disagreement , i have no problem with that .
                    *as far as i can see, you're chasing ghosts. not realizing the ghost does'nt exist. only in disnyland. not in snooker world.

But feel free to disagree and goodluck with your ..... well , whatever you do.

I don't remember that 'free to remain anonymous' clause in the TSF rules and you might be right however when an anonymous poster starts to snipe at people he becomes like a sniper shooting people in the back from the bushes. Everyone should be proud of their opinions and by the way Ramon, it wasn't just me pushing for BS to come out of the closet. I sort of hopped on the bandwagon because I thought it was right. BS has ignored the request anyway.

As far as chasing ghosts I assume you mean the non-existence of SIT or that it's so minor it isn't worth considering is the ghost you're talking about. Maybe but there are a lot of snooker players who have never hear of it and when they do they say 'So what? It doesn't matter at all in how I play', and they would be right to say so. Now that statement plays right into BS' hand since he said the greatest snooker player who ever lived to date knows nothing about kicks. Do you agree with BS regarding not only SIT but also Hendry as well? That should place you in good company.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

• Gotta close down now but Damn it pottr, get those videos up sometime this decade will ya?
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

• a bit of helping side just to turn it in and hold the white, so as not to go in and out of balk.

https://youtu.be/yWMawCHxSFM?t=7m

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Sorry... nodded off.

Converting to youtube. links to follow

Comment

I don't remember that 'free to remain anonymous' clause in the TSF rules and you might be right however when an anonymous poster starts to snipe at people he becomes like a sniper shooting people in the back from the bushes. Everyone should be proud of their opinions and by the way Ramon, it wasn't just me pushing for BS to come out of the closet. I sort of hopped on the bandwagon because I thought it was right. BS has ignored the request anyway.

As far as chasing ghosts I assume you mean the non-existence of SIT or that it's so minor it isn't worth considering is the ghost you're talking about. Maybe but there are a lot of snooker players who have never hear of it and when they do they say 'So what? It doesn't matter at all in how I play', and they would be right to say so. Now that statement plays right into BS' hand since he said the greatest snooker player who ever lived to date knows nothing about kicks. Do you agree with BS regarding not only SIT but also Hendry as well? That should place you in good company.
                            Terry ,

in my book asking someone about his private life in a polite way is not the same thing as pushing sumone or attack him bcuz of it.
                            As you said, it's a forum so I assume you allow me to express my opinion.

How many times have we had disagreements in recent years. ? you and me ? Vmax ? j6 ?
                            not the first time, right ? and I do'nt know you from yesterday, right?
                            Believe it or not, I bet everyone here in this forum respect you, not only because of your knowledge and experience, also bcuz of your contributions and especially the fact that you always have been so open to other people's opinions.
                            It's a forum, and disagreement is a part of it.
                            feel free to do so, but you do'nt have to tell me about your experience bud. You did'nt picked up the cue yesterday. do you realy think i do'nt realize that ?

I think regardless of who we are , we may have a bad judgment at the time.
                            you consider this as sum kind of attack to your knowledge and experience. well, you're wrong.
                            Belive it or not , i respect your disagreement .

As for SIT. yes , I do believe that it exists. feel free not believe me, but I've played the same shot travies played, many times.
                            Are you gonna need it in every shot you play? absolutely not.
                            As a matter effect, when it comes to this kind of stuff likes using side or. ... Personally I try to play the shot with no side and try not using it unless it is really necessary.

As for Hendry and what he said,
                            Some snooker players use the term kick in order to describe the effect of the side.

Something like ,, (The ball got a kick and changed his path,) ,,
                            Trust me I have heard this many times.

But this does'nt mean they do'nt know what is happening.
                            Was this Henry's intent at the time?
                            I think Hendry is the only one who can answer that .

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              a bit of helping side just to turn it in and hold the white, so as not to go in and out of balk.

https://youtu.be/yWMawCHxSFM?t=7m
                              Thanks .

Great stuff indeed . gonna watch this one .

Comment

Terry ,

in my book asking someone about his private life in a polite way is not the same thing as pushing sumone or attack him bcuz of it.
                                As you said, it's a forum so I assume you allow me to express my opinion.

How many times have we had disagreements in recent years. ? you and me ? Vmax ? j6 ?
                                not the first time, right ? and I do'nt know you from yesterday, right?
                                Believe it or not, I bet everyone here in this forum respect you, not only because of your knowledge and experience, also bcuz of your contributions and especially the fact that you always have been so open to other people's opinions.
                                It's a forum, and disagreement is a part of it.
                                feel free to do so, but you do'nt have to tell me about your experience bud. You did'nt picked up the cue yesterday. do you realy think i do'nt realize that ?

I think regardless of who we are , we may have a bad judgment at the time.
                                you consider this as sum kind of attack to your knowledge and experience. well, you're wrong.
                                Belive it or not , i respect your disagreement .

As for SIT. yes , I do believe that it exists. feel free not believe me, but I've played the same shot travies played, many times.
                                Are you gonna need it in every shot you play? absolutely not.
                                As a matter effect, when it comes to this kind of stuff likes using side or. ... Personally I try to play the shot with no side and try not using it unless it is really necessary.

As for Hendry and what he said,
                                Some snooker players use the term kick in order to describe the effect of the side.

Something like ,, (The ball got a kick and changed his path,) ,,
                                Trust me I have heard this many times.

But this does'nt mean they do'nt know what is happening.
                                Was this Henry's intent at the time?
                                I think Hendry is the only one who can answer that .
                                A person's name is a public thing, driver's license, voting rolls, club memberships and a host of public things. I'm not breaking privacy rules since a name is normally a public thing.

As for BS' thoughts on Hendry, when they say 'kick' they mean when the 2 balls visibly stick together and the cueball or object ball pops up a bit. The comment from Hendry was on Wilson's shot and he meant a regular kick because if he meant the effects of side he would have said something like 'he threw that red ball in'. Normally when they say 'kick' the player either misses the pot or else misses his position as the cueball loses energy and also takes a different path. Hendry's intent was obvious.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X